NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

I can confirm that very well-known content creators (avatar body, head, hair, clothing) came on board with us, as Moles, to work on this project - they are watching your feedback, please keep it human and civil.

In other words, be good or risk losing access to some of your favorite stores. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Honey Puddles said:

So, something you may not realize.. nearly all of Hilly's products are based on fullperms prefab clothing items that she purchased, iterated textures on, added huds, and resells at an affordable price.

This is why a lot of clothing you see there, you may see in other shops with different textures.

Hilly buys great prefab meshes, and she does a great job with the texturing of those meshes, and her prices are great too.. all of which results in fabulous product offerings. But in the grand scheme of things, she has very little in the way of original mesh in her shop.

Thank you, did not know.

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This is why we can't have nice people on the forums. Combative, negative people are scaring them away.

I'm not sure whether to take this at face value or not but Wow, very judgemental and naive.  Things are never black and white.  People who generally have to tell you that the "bad people" scared me away are those generally are prone to drama who've homed in on others in the first place and generally didn't like the feedback they received in response.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

In other words, be good or risk losing access to some of your favorite stores. 😄

I'm pretty sure that if I were to be banned from any store for honestly critiquing something here, I would consider it to be my good fortune to know that I wouldn't patronising them again.  There are plenty of brands out there who wouldn't be as petty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Thank you, did not know.

I thought we'd discussed it in another thread but the memory isn't what it used to be!

I still buy some of her items,  I love when she does patterns since I LOVE something with a design on it.  Often, creators will only include patterns in fatpack that costs way more than I'd like to spend.  With HH, the fatpack generally costs the same as ONE item from others.  It is a great place for new residents wanting to build a wardrobe.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It is a great place for new residents wanting to build a wardrobe.

I suppose we're getting off topic a bit, but I agree. I don't buy much there because I seldom see things I want, but I don't have any particular issue with the fact that she's buying mesh produced by someone else. So long as she's not ripping or copybotting it -- and I'm sure she's not -- who cares, really? (Although that may be one of the reasons, possibly, that I seldom find things there I want.) As you say, the brand is very affordable, and quite decent, and that's a boon, especially for noobs or people who don't have a great deal to sink into clothing.

BACK TO TOPIC, sort of, and related -- I do hope that those merchants who are on board with producing clothing and accessories for this line of mesh bodies and head will try to keep the price point down somewhat. People new to the platform are much less likely to invest a lot of real money in a platform they are still unsure of. Keeping it relatively affordable will make them more sure of SL -- and will also earn some goodwill for the merchants who do this when those people decide to invest more heavily in a wardrobe.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I suppose we're getting off topic a bit, but I agree. I don't buy much there because I seldom see things I want, but I don't have any particular issue with the fact that she's buying mesh produced by someone else. So long as she's not ripping or copybotting it -- and I'm sure she's not -- who cares, really? (Although that may be one of the reasons, possibly, that I seldom find things there I want.) As you say, the brand is very affordable, and quite decent, and that's a boon, especially for noobs or people who don't have a great deal to sink into clothing.

BACK TO TOPIC, sort of, and related -- I do hope that those merchants who are on board with producing clothing and accessories for this line of mesh bodies and head will try to keep the price point down somewhat. People new to the platform are much less likely to invest a lot of real money in a platform they are still unsure of. Keeping it relatively affordable will make them more sure of SL -- and will also earn some goodwill for the merchants who do this when those people decide to invest more heavily in a wardrobe.

Yep, can't beat a  jeans and top outfit with 50 colors/patterns on the top, 30 for the bottom and 20 belt textures for 299L.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I suspect one of the major reasons why a brand that USED to be top 3, dropped off the bottom of the chart after going "no alpha cuts just do-it-yourself alpha masks" was that for long term customers, with 500 outfits, none of which came with alpha layers, being told they needed to not only learn how to make alpha layers, and find SLUUV templates to make them with, but upload some 1500-2000 separate textures, to make all the alpha layers for their 500 pre-BOM outfits, at a cost of L$15,000 to L$20,000 was kind of a BIG disincentive.

Yeah, you know, they should have done something like offering a body with alpha cuts at the the same time as the one without them. Which they...

um...

...did. Never mind...

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yeah, you know, they should have done something like offering a body with alpha cuts at the the same time as the one without them. Which they...

um...

...did. Never mind...

Did she? There was a BOM-capable version of Physique that retained the alpha cuts?

I don't remember this, but you may be right; I was too busy virtue-signalling at first about how I was making SL a better place by getting rid of my onion layers.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Did she? There was a BOM-capable version of Physique that retained the alpha cuts?

I don't remember this, but you may be right; I was too busy virtue-signalling at first about how I was making SL a better place by getting rid of my onion layers.

Yes - technically it was the same body but you could use BOM by setting the textures with an applier.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yes - technically it was the same body but you could use BOM by setting the textures with an applier.

How is it BOM if you're using appliers, though?

And doesn't that assume that new things one buys are going to come with appliers? Which, pretty quickly, they didn't. Was there an applier supplied with the body that converted BOM layers in some way?

I am not remembering this at all!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And doesn't that assume that new things one buys are going to come with appliers? Which, pretty quickly, they didn't. Was there an applier supplied with the body that converted BOM layers in some way?

I did not use the SLink bodies, but I did use Belleza, Maitreya and LucyBody when they used a script or applier that would make the bodies BOM compatible. A specific texture applied to the body lets them be read by whatever - a script, some SL code? - as Bakes on Mesh. Toggling a BOM button on a HUD does essentially the same thing now.

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Isn't that why she released that packet of alpha layers?  Since the body didn't have them anymore?

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Isn't that why she released that packet of alpha layers?  Since the body didn't have them anymore?

That was my understanding. And then supplemented them with other additional packs.

The real problem, I think, was that there was an expectation that clothing makers would start including alpha layers with clothing again. Which, of course, they didn't. Although, interestingly, clothing rigged for Kupra has that now.

• Like 2

Patch said "I can confirm that very well-known content creators (avatar body, head, hair, clothing) came on board with us, as Moles, to work on this project - they are watching your feedback, please keep it human and civil."

Okay, here's my #1 feedback: The Senra clothing items we saw were NO-MOD. They really should have been full perm, but failing that, to encourage adoption they absolutely should be mod-perm.

So should everything in your stores for that matter, but sell whatever you like to whomever you like. The Lab however should never license so much as another pixel that's not distributed to residents with modify permission.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That was my understanding. And then supplemented them with other additional packs.

The real problem, I think, was that there was an expectation that clothing makers would start including alpha layers with clothing again. Which, of course, they didn't. Although, interestingly, clothing rigged for Kupra has that now.

Possibly but she included the "Slink Physique Auto Alpha for Consumers" folder which according to the notecard is for "- for no-mod mesh clothing that does not include Auto Alpha from the creator.

I've never tried it and maybe too many others didn't either resulting in her having to release the alpha packs. 

In the end none of it mattered as the other bodies did not release a similar update to theirs and the lab eventually admitted to some degree that the complexity numbers were not an accurate reflection of the actual load on the viewers.

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Possibly but she included the "Slink Physique Auto Alpha for Consumers" folder which according to the notecard is for "- for no-mod mesh clothing that does not include Auto Alpha from the creator.

I've never tried it and maybe too many others didn't either resulting in her having to release the alpha packs. 

In the end none of it mattered as the other bodies did not release a similar update to theirs and the lab eventually admitted to some degree that the complexity numbers were not an accurate reflection of the actual load on the viewers.

Well, now I'm curious enough to see if I have this, and how it works.

As I say, I remember nothing about an "auto alpha" for Slink!

Now I really can't wait to get one and try messing with the sliders and seeing what I can come up with..

I love a good challenge..

I'm looking forward to when it finally drops.. I just hope it's not too much longer..

I know they had said in the past that the Devi Kit would be released first.. That's why this has me thrown a little  bit..

Maybe this was a  feedback test drop or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What was meant was

"Dear Customers. You can carry on using the non-idiologicaly-pure version of our body but there ill never be any updates for it you BaM hating Applier Using Fossil, please die. You should convert to the No-alpha-Cuts version at once and lean to make 1500 alpha layer textures for your selves if you expect any kind of customer support..."

Telling people they can stick with the "obsolete version" is not exactly "providing an alternative version.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, now I'm curious enough to see if I have this, and how it works.

As I say, I remember nothing about an "auto alpha" for Slink!

I think that's similar to the rlv based HUD for alphaing the Kupra body.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think that's similar to the rlv based HUD for alphaing the Kupra body.

The original "autoalpha for consumers, if I remember correctly, was basically an auto alpha script in a cube, set up so you could record the alpha cuts, and then, when you wore that no-mod clothing item, you could also attach the auto-alpha cube to hide the cuts the clothing didn't.

Using RLV to add partial alpha layers is something else entirely.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.