NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

58 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Saturday Morning...

Activating Skyrim SE New Game Mode...

Entering Race Selection and character customisation screen...

Open command console, using INV console command to get UUID's of worn hessian gunnysack dress, using REMOVEITEM console command to get rid of gunnysack so I can ACTUALLY see what shape the chars body is, edit body shape, edit face, stare at face, reedit face, go and have breakfast, piop to corner shop, re-edit face, have mid morning snack, re-edit body, have lunch, re-edit face, mess with tattoos, have tea, use ADDITEM console command to add decent looking 3rd party custom outfit that doesn't look like hessian gunnysack, use EQUIPITEM console command to wear new outfit despite having no inv access yet due to new game start conditions, re-edit body shape so new outfit looks better, final tweaks to face, accept new character appearance and choose name, hit pause, have dinner, play Skyrim SE...

*cough*

Light weight...

Aaaah, that's some dedication, LOL. Last time I played, I just downloaded a bunch of appearance mods and armor (that require crafting so I actually had a reason to play the dang game), logged in, did all of the gathering, crafted the armor, threw it on, said "wow, I'm so cute!" and logged out. I have spent more time browsing and downloading mods for Skyrim than actually playing it, I swear. 🤣

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing stuffs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Has anyone tried putting other skins on these avatars? Do the old SLUV map skins (head and body) fit them?  Do Maitreya body skins fit on Jamie?

Yes, I have a Gyazo on the first page, I think, of a Sessions skin on Jaime.

It seems to map fine.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Do people have access to their inventories on the Beta grid? I tried to get on, but turns out I don't have access. 

I'd be interested if the old Second Life Standard Size mesh clothes fit the body at all. 

I used to be able to get on the Beta grid, but it's been years since I've been over there, and I don't know how to get on it now. The writer of the Juicy Bomb post said she didn't have access to her regular inventory.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
All f'd up. Lol
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Aaaah, that's some dedication, LOL. Last time I played, I just downloaded a bunch of appearance mods and armor (that require crafting so I actually had a reason to play the dang game), logged in, did all of the gathering, crafted the armor, threw it on, said "wow, I'm so cute!" and logged out. I have spent more time browsing and downloading mods for Skyrim than actually playing it, I swear. 🤣

First thing I tend to do with a new game, like Skyrim or Dragon Age Origins is make a new char on the default settings, then look at the options, throw up, quit the game, and go mod shopping for head/body/skin replacers, vanilla armour/clothing refits to match, then custom clothing, then custom vanilla weapons fixes (like the DA-O mods that reduced the width of all the bows by 50% and added bow strings, so they actually looked like bows instead of fence posts).

Then it's onto the quality of life improvement mods, and graphical tweaks/retexture mods. My Skyrim has a 3BA female body replacer, and that adds a whole raft of extra "CBBE" appearance customisation sliders, that's why it takes so much longer, and the hi poly head mod, and char presets with included custom face sculpt files... etc., etc., etc.

But some people seem to think editing appearance is "Umm I choose big hat and giant rat in a handbag chick, cos 60's shirt made from kitchen curtains holding his granny's pre WWII boombox guy is fugly!"

Anybody entering SL, whose idea of personalising their avatar takes less than 60 seconds might as well not bother.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I used to be able to get on the Beta grid, but it's been years since I've been over there, and I don't know how to get on it now. The writer of the Juicy Bomb post said she didn't have access to her regular inventory.

From various threads I've read here, and conversations in-world, I am given to understand that originally, the first time you accessed the beta grid, your inventory would sync. 

But thanks to LL breaking beta grid access several times and never bothering to fix it at all, now there are constant problems with inv sync, sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes it never syncs.

LL will probably get round to fixing it LL-Sort-Of-Not-Really-That-Soonish-At-All (translation for mere humans: Possibly sort of kludge fixed by SL30B, dev team resources permitting, no promises, stay tuned to Blab-Flab for further details...)

17 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Do people have access to their inventories on the Beta grid? I tried to get on, but turns out I don't have access. 

I don't know how often inventory gets synced but when I was last on months ago it was more or less up-to-date with my main grid inventory. It doesn't update your appearance I've had the same look I haven't bothered changing since I first logged in there in 2008/2009 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

From various threads I've read here, and conversations in-world, I am given to understand that originally, the first time you accessed the beta grid, your inventory would sync. 

But thanks to LL breaking beta grid access several times and never bothering to fix it at all, now there are constant problems with inv sync, sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes it never syncs.

LL will probably get round to fixing it LL-Sort-Of-Not-Really-That-Soonish-At-All (translation for mere humans: Possibly sort of kludge fixed by SL30B, dev team resources permitting, no promises, stay tuned to Blab-Flab for further details...)

I went through the requesting access long ago, then found a while later access was broken so I put in a ticket and they fixed it and re-synced my inventory and all was good until few months later where I tried to use it and found I can no longer get in and so I'm right back to square one again.

Kinda given up with it at this point.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I don't know how often inventory gets synced but when I was last on months ago it was more or less up-to-date with my main grid inventory. It doesn't update your appearance I've had the same look I haven't bothered changing since I first logged in there in 2008/2009 

I was told by support that it is only updated by request these days.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

First thing I tend to do with a new game, like Skyrim or Dragon Age Origins is make a new char on the default settings, then look at the options, throw up, quit the game, and go mod shopping for head/body/skin replacers, vanilla armour/clothing refits to match, then custom clothing, then custom vanilla weapons fixes (like the DA-O mods that reduced the width of all the bows by 50% and added bow strings, so they actually looked like bows instead of fence posts).

Then it's onto the quality of life improvement mods, and graphical tweaks/retexture mods. My Skyrim has a 3BA female body replacer, and that adds a whole raft of extra "CBBE" appearance customisation sliders, that's why it takes so much longer, and the hi poly head mod, and char presets with included custom face sculpt files... etc., etc., etc.

But some people seem to think editing appearance is "Umm I choose big hat and giant rat in a handbag chick, cos 60's shirt made from kitchen curtains holding his granny's pre WWII boombox guy is fugly!"

Anybody entering SL, whose idea of personalising their avatar takes less than 60 seconds might as well not bother.

Yeah, I love having the ability to add mods to games like that, and I do think SL captures the type of market that will have a casual 2 to 6 gigs of Sims 4 CC sitting on their hard drive very well. Customization here is off the charts and I do appreciate the level of freedom we have when it comes to shaping our appearances, though sometimes, I just wanna log in and not worry about which UV map my preferred face of the day is sitting on so I can go buy some makeup, ya know? Lol, I won't say things here are TOO advanced but...it IS a little extra sometimes. 

Not only that, but it's just all very clunky and fiddly. Trying to fine tune my dang wig and off it flies into space because my camera was in the wrong spot when I snatched it off my head. Gah! 🤣

I don't really know what the answer is, but I do think it's possible to have a secondary basic system for people who just don't have that kind of patience. Something between "oh wow, I can yeet my eyeballs up to 4000m" and "dog in a handbag." Maybe? I dunno. I'm just throwing out ideas. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That one epic fail of an idea alone is deserving of nothing but an automatic "Oh HELL NO" response.

I for one do not want to have to open a web browser, and load a damn web page just to change my shoes, OH HELL NO!

In addition, the RLV based Wardrobe app is one of the clunkiest and frankly worst inventory management and avatar dressing systems EVER devised by the mind of mankind.

If some people are just too damn stupid to use their inventory, that is NOT MY PROBLEM. Nor should it be made so.

The fear of a graphically based inventory system within the viewer itself would be too heavy according to one TPV dev, hence the suggestion to put it on a web page instead. That too would allow organizing it without having to be logged into the grid getting interruptions. 

And it is still better then the one step up from MSdos inventory we have from SL but yeah, if all you need it for is an annual shoe change, it might not be the best alternative for you. Fortunately there are more then just you here. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As some people have been asking about the skin mapping and rigging (esp. with regards to old "standard sized" clothing), I thought I'd try a quick couple of experiments.

The results were, I thought . . . disheartening.

I have modified both shape and brow shaper on these -- in general, although I didn't spend hours on it, I tried to get her looking as best I could. Doubtless there are others who could do better.

First, I used a Pepe skin (head and body), Magika hair, and an old Powder Moon outfit I have in standard sizing (in this case, XXS) with the associated alpha layer. it was a difficult fit: I had to actually adjust the shape to make it work.

Jamie-Test-Pepe---PowderMoon-Full-Blank.thumb.png.3b1e2d48f03081f70c68435cc967f305.png

Note the space above the shoulders. The breasts (which I have set pretty far down -- in the mid 30s) are also a problem, as was the upper back. Workable, but only with some difficulty. The one thing that DID fit perfectly were shoes rigged for Maitreya.

Here's a closeup of the face, with the Pepe head tattoo skin layer.

Jamie-Test-Pepe-Blank.thumb.png.a837c0d8b06eede4e59271ca6666fecc.png

The mapping is close, but off a bit around the lips and the nose (i.e., the two places where it is likely to be most noticeable and matter the most). I used the Jamie eyebrows and a browless skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Experiment 2.

Here I used a Session skin, and tried to find a dress rigged for a current body that would work. In terms of the dress, the rigging that worked best, oddly, was Legacy Perky (I also tried Maitreya, Reborn, Kupra, and Freya). But, again, the breasts were a particular problem, and I had to add alpha across the chest.

Jamie-Test-Session-Legacy-Perky-Blank.thumb.png.acd5d9f653b23b652d56fa7659f40bfd.png

Notice how even a relatively slim shape with a dress rigged for a relatively slim and small-breasted body rather . . . swells. The others were worse. But that's not surprising.

Here's a closeup of the face with the Session skin:

Jamie-Test-Session-Candy-Blank.thumb.png.6c4885f7154ee673e2da66b42dd7cda4.png

In this instance, I replaced the Jamie eyebrows with the brows on the skin layer itself. Again the mapping is not great around the nose and mouth. The eyebrows are weird: when the avi blinks (which she does constantly), it pulls and stretches the eyebrows downward. I'm assuming that's why the default eyebrows are set so high on the forehead, giving Jamie a perennially "surprised" look.

Also, the blinking . . . I wasn't wearing the provided AO, but she blinked constantly. I have no idea how to turn that off, and at the same time, even using the LeLutka Axis head poser (which normally fixes everything in place), her eyes wandered and she blinked. There are, I guess, animations built into the head itself? (I forgot to look.)

Conclusion: These avatars are really going to require dedicated resources created for them, i.e., skins and clothing that are specifically designed for them. Standard skins and clothing work, sort of, but only if you don't look too closely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I'm finding the mapping really off for standard Lelutka skins, and for Catwa skins too. And there is a big problem if you want to try to wear old system skins with this avatar, many creators had eyelashes drawn on their skins, and those will appear as big black patches as the neck if you wear them on this avatar. So a lot of those older skins are out. This is leaving a nice big gap in the market for skin makers to create content just for these avatars, whether people will buy is another story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stephanie Misfit said:

I'm finding the mapping really off for standard Lelutka skins, and for Catwa skins too. And there is a big problem if you want to try to wear old system skins with this avatar, many creators had eyelashes drawn on their skins, and those will appear as big black patches as the neck if you wear them on this avatar. So a lot of those older skins are out. This is leaving a nice big gap in the market for skin makers to create content just for these avatars, whether people will buy is another story.

I should have noted that the Session skin I used in the second pic is mapped for LeLutka Evo. The Genus one didn't look a lot different, though: same essential problems.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The fear of a graphically based inventory system within the viewer itself would be too heavy according to one TPV dev, hence the suggestion to put it on a web page instead.

Because EVERYBODY KNOWS that alt-tabbing out of SL, opening a web browser and spending 10 mins navigating to a clunky frameset web page designed by idiots, is FAR easier than than spending 60 seconds opening your inv, looking in the Brand X shoes folder and choosing "wear" on the pair of shoes you want to wear for the next two hours at a themed p[arty, right?

That too would allow organizing it without having to be logged into the grid getting interruptions. 

If you can't ignore incoming IM's long enough to dress your self, that is a YOU-Problem, not an US-Problem, and there is no justification for making our lives MORE complicated with web based stupidity.

And it is still better then the one step up from MSdos inventory we have from SL but yeah, if all you need it for is an annual shoe change, it might not be the best alternative for you.

Pay attention, it's because I often change my clothes several times a DAY, that I refuse to accept a effing inconveinient, web browser based clunky badly designed web page fail system like the one you propose, which would drastically increase the time and effort needed to change clothes. In addition it's a WINDOWS style folder tree, not MSDos, you really need to keep up with the times, and modern technology. Stop living in the IMVSpew past.

Like I said, there is NO justification for making what are obviously YOU-Problems into US-Problems and ruining OUR SL Experience because you hate SL, but are unwilling to repatriate to IMVSpew.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Has anyone tried putting other skins on these avatars? Do the old SLUV map skins (head and body) fit them?  Do Maitreya body skins fit on Jamie?

I posted a pic earlier of Jamie wearing an older system skin from Glam.  Aside from the usual finger and toe issue, it looked pretty good.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's gotta be said, Dog Bag & Hat Lady avatar is looking really great right now.

EDIT: @Scylla Rhiadra you've done the best you can with what's available.  I hope you don't take my attempt at humour the wrong way.

No offense taken: I agree. Although, I am NOT the most talented shape-maker I know: I'd be interested to see what others with more natural ability, and maybe more time (or a larger collection of skins) could make of it.

As for "Bitsy," I do think she's actually better looking. The problem with her is, of course, that you can't really do anything more with her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe something like a two-level approach might work? Provide them with the option of using a simple system straight off, or of learning how customization works "in the wild" through a more complicated, but hopefully well-explained, approach?

Of course.

I'm going to wait until I can get one of these on my pose stand and mess with it before I say anything.

I know that even finding the right skin for my lelutka takes time, as well as getting other things together..

I can't really say anything until I have one myself.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.