NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, animats said:

There's some internal machinery where the sim tells the viewer the surface normal of what you're standing on, and that's supposed to make the foot tilt to match the ground. I don't know if that's actually doing anything to avatars any more.

It is still there.   Works noticeably on Linden Ground or 'real Prims' when running a stand or walk that does not animate the ankle.    Is also seen when the AO glitches and one is sliding off a hill or TP's into a surface.   That weird fast flip squatting twitch thing is part of that chain.

42 minutes ago, animats said:

There's some internal machinery where the sim tells the viewer the surface normal of what you're standing on, and that's supposed to make the foot tilt to match the ground. I don't know if that's actually doing anything to avatars any more.

It's still there, but the animation priority is so low that pretty much ANY half decent AO will squash it like a bug, and as for "ankle locks" for high heel users, kiss your LL default fail anims goodbye for ever, unless you actually LIKE walking like a constipated duck looking for a lost contact lens with the default NO-AO noob anims from 20 odd years ago.

Moving on to something actually relevant to todays SL... *cough*.

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

As someone previously pointed out, if you use a foot alpha and add a BoM foot, the foot will also disappear.  You cannot alpha out the original feet and have replacement ones show the skin texture.  The only way this could work is if the foot isn't BoM but then you would have to skin match the foot.

Nope. Alpha out the base feet, and then set the alpha mode for the attached feet to "none." The feet will ignore the alpha and pick up the rest of the bake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's fairly stupid that they made the clothing mesh no-mod, cuz it's all pretty lame, but it's really exceptionally stupid that they made the clothing alpha masks no-mod. Yeah, that'll really help with adoption of a BoM-only, no-alphacuts body.

Scared that someone might appropriately texture it?  ;)

15 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Nope. Alpha out the base feet, and then set the alpha mode for the attached feet to "none." The feet will ignore the alpha and pick up the rest of the bake.

Well, OK then.  I'd forgotten that it would be possible to remove the alpha setting from the mesh.  So that takes us back to my starting position earlier that it should be possible.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

She is right.   That is a potential workaround.    Makes a system that Bakes on Mesh type feet,  but used in the style of old shoes with attached feet.   So the new users can just figure out the 'current common method' after they pay for a body.  

Did they fix the bug where sometimes a face would just revert from None to Blend anyway?    

Edited by KathrynLisbeth

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Because all women in SL be like . . ,

barbie-margot-robbie.gif

I actually do agree that this is a problem but . . . I mean, personally, I wear flats more often than heels.

SOOOOO much more comfortable.

if only shoes were only that high - in SL for most shoes, thats just about mid-height

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Anyone notice if the NUX avatars used in the "intro fashion shows" (or Patch's video above) wore "Heels" (had bent feet)?

We did not design the feet for use with "high heels".  Remember, these are for new users, they don't even know how to change shoes yet!  😁   We will either tackle that later, perhaps on another body, or leave it to the creator community to come up with something cool!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

We did not design the feet for use with "high heels".  Remember, these are for new users, they don't even know how to change shoes yet!  😁   We will either tackle that later, perhaps on another body, or leave it to the creator community to come up with something cool!  

Thank you! There's just been a lot of discussion on that one topic, so it seemed worth asking!

As a mostly-male, mostly-binary Neko, I don't personally wear high heels. (Maybe my Alt will, or I will when X-dressing.)

• Like 2

I may be the only person in SL to have stopped buying high heels years ago. I have maybe bought a total of 5 pairs of high heels in the past 5 years. I hate ... HATE ankle locks and just don't like how the ankles break when I wear high heels. So I'm constantly buying flats and mids. I have a rather large collection of both. But I've been looking for mids for many years now. I much prefer to go barefooted or wear flats. But I'm sure creators will come up with excellent ways to enable the Senras to wear heels.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The feet will ignore the alpha and pick up the rest of the bake.

Have you actually tried that? I may be mis-remembering, but I thought BOM without correct alpha mode led to dreaded red-skin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Have you actually tried that? I may be mis-remembering, but I thought BOM without correct alpha mode led to dreaded red-skin.

Red skin means the alpha was set to completely blank out one of the bakes (with the little check box), meaning that there's no data to use. If the body's set to alpha mode "none" it will show the bake and ignore any "regular" alphas. That's why the last version of Belleza's Isis/Venus/Freya LOOKED like they didn't work with worn alphas when you first wore them - you needed to flip a switch to change the skin's alpha mode from "none" to "alpha masking".

• Thanks 1

So I played around with this today.  The feet will be an issue aside from just being flat only.  You can alpha them out with a foot alpha but the nails remain so that is a major issue for wearing ANY shoes.  My old alt had some regular sized clothing so she's wearing a size small mesh dress.   The skin is an old system skin from Glam.  I had to use a glove layer to cover the white of the nail bed.  I didn't even bother with the toes.  Yikes.

Although it's a decent effort, it's going to need a few things to make it usable, IMO.

https://gyazo.com/fa1b07db77ddfaf400a9a8913eb88da8

https://gyazo.com/486299bcbe5290ac70e520fc9efb257d

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can alpha them out with a foot alpha but the nails remain so that is a major issue for wearing ANY shoes.

This is one reason, I think, aux channels and universal layers in general haven't really seen much use, not being able to use alpha masks on them is just .. Weird. It works on Evo X ears since you seldom need to hide your ears (and can do so via the HUD if you do). And it's the same issue for other mesh bodies, I've seen footwear lately that came with alpha masks but since the nails aren't affected you'll have to hide them via HUD anyway.

Of course, if they made it so alphas could use the aux channels too, that'd solve the issue for everyone. Until people start fighting about what aux channel 'should' be used for what ("can't wear these nails with Evo X heads unless you want weirdly drawn ears on your fingertips!"). 

• Like 2

It seems that from Patch's reply LL isn't all that interested in optimizing these bodies at all. Even if LL chose to keep it barebones and unoptimized, the body should still appeal to most new users directly out of the box.  If female avs still outnumber males significantly as I think they do, new residents will choose female over male more often than not. The female version seems to need more work. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to function better and meet bare expectations. I'm still interested in trying it, to see if all my standard clothes even fit it.  Maybe it's better than some of the free options I already have? I tried a couple last night and all they did was make me want to throw on a full alpha and never have a body at all. Back to system av for me. 

Between this and mentor programs though I think LL is putting a lot of responsibility on users to not only get new people but keep them around. I think both are great ideas but LL might not be going about either the right way. I'm not sure where they're getting their feedback for some things. It might be time to search outside of the lab itself and take some cues from people inworld. There are a lot of smart people around with good ideas that might work better. 

It looks like there's something deeply odd with how the feet are mapped. The toenails appear to be the same face as the rest of the lower body but they have different texture. The fact that they're the same face makes changing the nail texture to use something other than the aux channel difficult.

9 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

It seems that from Patch's reply LL isn't all that interested in optimizing these bodies at all.

I thought his reply meant, "It's early days", in the context of "feet".

Maybe I missed any reply that was relevant to "optimization".

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

So I played around with this today.  The feet will be an issue aside from just being flat only.  You can alpha them out with a foot alpha but the nails remain so that is a major issue for wearing ANY shoes.  My old alt had some regular sized clothing so she's wearing a size small mesh dress.   The skin is an old system skin from Glam.  I had to use a glove layer to cover the white of the nail bed.  I didn't even bother with the toes.  Yikes.

Although it's a decent effort, it's going to need a few things to make it usable, IMO.

https://gyazo.com/fa1b07db77ddfaf400a9a8913eb88da8

https://gyazo.com/486299bcbe5290ac70e520fc9efb257d

They work with BOM universal layers.  If you have transparency on one of the channels, the nails will become transparent.

• Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.