What don't you know about in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been in SL since 2007 and there is more that I don't know than what I know.

But I know the basics of building and texturing, I can modify a script to my liking and so on. In the end I learn what I need to know when I want to do something. My SL has been always recreational, I de-stress inworld, never wanted to build or having a store, even when I owned an art gallery it was not really a business, but something I liked to do. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

3. How to drive without crashing into trees, houses, and security orbs.

I struggle with this in real life, too. 😄 Kidding kidding (mostly - I drive fine, but don't let me park your car, guys).

My SL struggle would be anything to do with buying/auctioning/selling land and being premium. Never done any of that. Always just rented.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

I once came across a 2d kitten that had a face that followed the camera from every angle. I do not know what witchcraft is this.

Was it all black and in a sitting pose?? I sooooo wanted one when I found it sitting at Utilizator's old sim. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

I really don't know all that much about anything here.I have never been able to devote the necessary time to learn.So I kind of learn things on the fly.There is a lot of really good info here,very helpful.I would love to learn how to design,scripting,animation just for the knowledge itself.Baby steps is okay for me,in no rush,probably wouldn't sell stuff.The most minor achievements give me the jump up and down happy dance feeling.But I am really good at shopping.🤔

This is the way. Learn at own pace and when brain or cpu starts over heating party the pain away. For learning on the region natoma is ivory tower library of primitives. In the large building are learning modules and on i think 3 level is scripting modules. For awhile i would learn there and then while brain was processing what ive leanred that day I would explore and party, was happy to see the birth of bellisseria and follow its progress while exploring.

• Like 2

Scripting, RP, how to find people who don't end up wasting my time by suddenly revealing(after days, weeks even months!) that all they ever wanted from me was SLex and get aggressive when I turn them down, how to find active groups of people with the same interests who are also welcoming to strangers, how to find the stuff I'm looking for on marketplace instead of hundreds of items that don't fit the search terms at all... Why TF is setting Sun/Moon position in EEP so complicated.
Now that I think about it, I could as well just build/decorate in Sims and roam around in games like Red Dead Redemption, Kingdom Come, GTA and so on and add some free cosmetic mods.

13 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Those new AO's where the person is mostly frozen in place, what is the deal with that?

They are the slightly better option to those jumping around, walking around, checking for poo on your shoe, bend over, grab your boobs, fidgety repetitive movement AOs.

7 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

I once came across a 2d kitten that had a face that followed the camera from every angle. I do not know what witchcraft is this.

It's probably just a particle effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, Mother Mystic said:

Scripting, but would so love to learn if someone had the patience with me. lol

That's the only way I learned! I was lucky that a scripter I knew had enough free time and patience to teach me the basics 🙂 I enjoyed it, and it feels magical when your scripts work, but it can be hard work! Even the person who taught me, who was brilliant at it, could get stuck for ages trying to work out what was wrong with a line of script, and then realise a bracket was missing. I only did basic scripts, but I've forgotten most of it now...it's like learning a new language, really.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

3. How to drive without crashing into trees, houses, and security orbs.

I was going to say this...every time I drive at speed, I end up losing control and flying into the sea 🙄 

• Like 2

Gacha - this wasn't even on SL the first time I left!

Tiny Empires - I heard a few people talk about it, but don't know what it is... Bloodlines for tinies?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Finding a mesh head I like 😵

Anything to do with tier or mesh triangles...😕

• Like 4

Why did the Lindens build the early continents with coastlines, then sell off the coastlines (and their water) as private parcels?

Those areas over the last 20 years have become both inaccessible and impassable to anyone with a boat who wants to travel around the early continents.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Tiny Empires - I heard a few people talk about it, but don't know what it is... Bloodlines for tinies?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disclaimer:  I haven't played Bloodlines in yonks so please don't ask me for advice, unless it's how to get a Garlic Necklace.

Tiny Vampire Noms.jpg

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Added text.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I have no idea how to use voice in group calls. My friends have to walk me through it every time. I'm afraid I'm never going to figure this out.

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I honestly have no idea how some people are really into driving and vechs in SL, they are borderline uncontrolable jokes on a good day.

They really are, and that's coming from someone who loves them. Very slow cars with cruise control are my current favorite.

• Like 2

Tiny Empires is sort of like the game of Risk, but in text. Each turn, you try to take an action which will earn you more wealth, or power, or land. It's played via a little HUD you wear, and it initially caught on because it was something you could do to while away the time when nothing was happening in your SL. It proved so addictive that many people made alts who do nothing but sit around on the ocean floor while their owner skips from one to the next, playing many positions in Tiny Empires.

@Garnet Psaltery, in regards to your Garlic Necklace comment: The free ones on the Marketplace don't work any more, and the Bloodlines folks have made the current version No Transfer. The only way to get one is to actually go to one of the Bloodlines regions and go all the way from the arrival point to the farthest vending booth, where you can get one. They now cost $L 1. (Just in case you didn't know.)

Edited by Lindal Kidd
Corrected information thanks to Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been in SL for over 15 years and I'm still happy using a 'classic' system avatar, for which I did my own skin, so I've never really looked deeply into mesh bodies or heads. I did try several demos but none could be adjusted to my existing slim shape, which I was happy with.  Despite this, I quickly took to mesh clothing and hair when they first appeared, as most system hair looked bad, as did any clothing unless it was meant to be tight fitting.  So I never got to learn about the clumsy 'appliers' method that people used before BOM (which I do understand) came along.

I never learned scripting but I know enough to be able to modify scripts.

Also I've no idea how to make particle devices.

I don't know anything about roleplaying, breedables, combat, skill gaming, collaring, vampire play or BSDM.

I only have a vague idea of what a 'gacha' is!

I wouldn't know how to go about being a DJ. 

I tried out voice once but nobody could hear me - and anyway the conversation I heard was so dysfunctional and chaotic I never bothered again.

I've tended to stick with the LL standard viewer so I don't know much about other viewers. I do use Firestom for my Open Sim standalone, but I never investigated any of its additional functions compared to the LL one.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@Garnet Psaltery, in regards to your Garlic Necklace comment: The free ones on the Marketplace don't work any more, and the Bloodlines folks have made the current version No Transfer. The only way to get one is to actually go to one of the Bloodlines regions and go all the way from the arrival point to the farthest vending booth, where you can get one. They're still free, though. (Just in case you didn't know.)

Yes, I did know. :) If anyone had asked me I'd have given them a lm and the L$1 needed to buy one.  They're not free any more. :/ 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Conifer Dada said:

I've no idea how to make particle devices.

This is both amazingly simple and dauntingly complex at the same time.

The simple part is, there is only ONE universal particle script in SL. The complex part comes because all of the different particle effects are created by varying the script's many parameters. Jopsy Pendragon has a tutorial location, the Particle Laboratory, which contains lots of information and many example particle script settings. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Teal/202/52/301

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@Garnet Psaltery, in regards to your Garlic Necklace comment: The free ones on the Marketplace don't work any more, and the Bloodlines folks have made the current version No Transfer. The only way to get one is to actually go to one of the Bloodlines regions and go all the way from the arrival point to the farthest vending booth, where you can get one. They're still free, though. (Just in case you didn't know.)

Yes, I did know. :) If anyone had asked me I'd have given them a lm and the L$1 needed to buy one.  They're not free any more. :/ 

Poor souls have to navigate across a Bloodlines region, to a far vending booth without getting bitten, in order to get protection from Bloodlines vampires?  That hardly seems fair. Unless you're a vampire, or own Bloodlines.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.