Leaving The US -- Has Anybody Moved Or Are You Considering?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

When you live on a latitude higher and more northern than where most Canadians live, yet it rarely ever snows.... 😭

d6mheyexufe21.png

Yup. Weather in California is similar to Portugal, Spain and Italy too.

Edited by Persephone Emerald

8 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

When you live on a latitude higher and more northern than where most Canadians live, yet it rarely ever snows.... 😭

d6mheyexufe21.png

Yes but western Europe has the Gulf Stream (for now, anyway).

Toronto is on the same latitude as Rome. But we're surrounded by a very large continent, rather than the warming Mediterranean. 

Take it from a girl who's been to Rome many times -- it ain't as cold there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At least in Canada, we have snowmobiling, skiing, both cross-country and downhill, snowmen, sleighs, toboggans, and snow of course! The thing about Canadian Winters is that you appreciate the Summers more. Thing to keep in mind too is that you can dress for the cold but there's only so much you can undress for the heat. 

We have all of that here, too. Well, in some states. Colorado is big for all of that, I know. Utah, Vermont. Wyoming. Upstate NY, as well. Ski resorts galore.

But yeah, I'm good without ever, ever, ever, ever seeing another winter again. And there's probably nothing I can think of short of ten million dollars and 5 dates with Keanu that would ever get me to play outside in the snow. 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

We have all of that here, too. Well, in some states. Colorado is big for all of that, I know. Utah, Vermont. Wyoming. Upstate NY, as well. Ski resorts galore.

But yeah, I'm good without ever, ever, ever, ever seeing another winter again. And there's probably nothing I can think of short of ten million dollars and 5 dates with Keanu that would ever get me to play outside in the snow. 😂

But people acclimatize. At the beginning of winter, 32° f seems cold but by the end of winter you appreciate that it's warming up. Personally, I have much more trouble with temperatures that are above 70 degrees Fahrenheit and I find it difficult to acclimatize to much warmer than that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At least in Canada, we have snowmobiling, skiing, both cross-country and downhill, snowmen, sleighs, toboggans, and snow of course! The thing about Canadian Winters is that you appreciate the Summers more. Thing to keep in mind too is that you can dress for the cold but there's only so much you can undress for the heat. 

We have all the winter sports in California, also.  From where I live I can head west and be at the ocean in 30 or 40 minutes, or if I head east in the winter I can be up in snow country in 3 or 4 hours. 

I have been known to plan a weekend trip to some town in the central valley or the Sierra Nevada foothills just because I know it's going to be hotter there than at our house.

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oooo cross-country train rides always seemed really nice to me, but I've never taken one. I mean, for scenic purposes. I've traveled long distances by train, but didn't see anything remarkable.

I don't know that I'd be expecting anything remarkable, but I enjoy seeing the different geographies, agriculture, industries, towns, and so forth, like when you do road trips on the minor highways or backroads.  I expect that would hold true for cross-country train rides too.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I don't know that I'd be expecting anything remarkable, but I enjoy seeing the different geographies, agriculture, industries, towns, and so forth, like when you do road trips on the minor highways or backroads.  I expect that would hold true for cross-country train rides too.   

A friend and I were considering a Canada cross-country trip later this summer and it sounded quite good from the brochures. The cost was remarkably cheap in comparison to driving a car. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But people acclimatize. At the beginning of winter, 32° f seems cold but by the end of winter you appreciate that it's warming up. Personally, I have much more trouble with temperatures that are above 70 degrees Fahrenheit and I find it difficult to acclimatize to much warmer than that.

60 degrees...60 degrees is when I start feeling chilly and grab for the sweaters/cardigans. Flat out cold by 50. Space heater goes on full blast. By 32 degrees, I'm screaming. I swear - I used to sit in my car in the mornings in winter before work and scream while waiting for the heat to kick in. Softly, so I didn't wake up the entire neighborhood, but yeah...and forget the days when the temp dropped to 0 or below. You'd think I was being murdered in my driveway. 😂 I just can't handle the cold and oof, London was absolutely brutal for me because I didn't have a car there and had to rely on buses and a whole lot of walking. In ice and snow. Cursing. And silently screaming. Sometimes not so silently.

My comfort zone is 70s. 70s make me very, very happy. Low 80s are fine. Beyond that, now I'm too hot, but a nice breeze and low humidity could take care of that. Vegas' 100+ degree afternoons sure did test me, tho.

12 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Aw mannn, I haven't taken a road trip in so long but I love them. My longest ride was Vegas to New York, but the loooong, boring stretch through Nebraska was brutal, oh man. The only point at which I lost cell phone service, too! Utah tho - wow that's a pretty state. Wouldn't wanna live there, but nice to drive through.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

60 degrees...60 degrees is when I start feeling chilly and grab for the sweaters/cardigans. Flat out cold by 50. Space heater goes on full blast. By 32 degrees, I'm screaming. I swear - I used to sit in my car in the mornings in winter before work and scream while waiting for the heat to kick in. Softly, so I didn't wake up the entire neighborhood, but yeah...and forget the days when the temp dropped to 0 or below. You'd think I was being murdered in my driveway. 😂 I just can't handle the cold and oof, London was absolutely brutal for me because I didn't have a car there and had to rely on buses and a whole lot of walking. In ice and snow. Cursing. And silently screaming. Sometimes not so silently.

Are you meaning London Ontario or London england?

Dressing appropriately for the temperature and weather is definitely important. I suppose that's not always easy to do if one has an office job. Coming into work with a full snowsuit and mukluks is not the height of a fashion statement but it certainly is quite a bit warmer than high heels, nylons and skirt.🥶

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Are you meaning London Ontario or London england?

Dressing appropriately for the temperature and weather is definitely important. I suppose that's not always easy to do if one has an office job. Coming into work with a full snowsuit and mukluks is not the height of a fashion statement but it certainly is quite a bit warmer than high heels, nylons and skirt.🥶

London, England. I believe the temp there is within the same range as it is here (New York), but for some reason, London felt a LOT colder. Probably because I had to walk around outside a heck of a lot more than I ever did here! And the whole...no sun thing. 

And yeah, office jobs. No snowsuit for me, though trust me, I considered it numerous times 😂. No heels, never a skirt, though. We could wear anything business casual, so I always wore pants and cozy sweaters in winter. Still froze my tuckus off!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On the subject of mobility in the US . . .

"Senator James Lankford (R-OK) just blocked an attempt by Democrats to ban states from outlawing women traveling to another state to get an abortion. Lankford has previously testified that he thinks 13-year-old girls can consent to sex. 'Yes, I think they can.'”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/senate-abortion-roe-v-wade-travel_n_62cffc22e4b0e6251b39738a

Lankford supports a national ban on abortions. Apparently this isn't really about "states rights."

It never has been. It's always been about the religious nuts being in control of everyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Earthquakes are unlikely to be a problem in most areas. Drought and fires could be in most areas. Rent, utilities, gasoline and taxes are high in most places, but we have a generally liberal legislature and laws. We have the highest gasoline taxes in the US (except maybe Hawaii?), and unless you're in a big city like San Francisco, you pretty much have to have a car to get around. We have fresh produce year round, mild winters, but hot, dry summers. The ocean, mountains, desert and farmland are all pretty close if you can afford to drive there.

See my post above. 😁

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm a bigger baby than you are then.  Below 70F and I'm freezing my ass off. Unless I'm in the direct sunlight.

LOL, I'm so glad it's not just me! Sun definitely does make a difference for sure. But below 60 it doesn't even matter anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I actually want to move to the US in the future to be with my partner. 

As a native born citizen and a long-time patriot and America-booster: No. No, you don't. You want to get your partner to move to you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

the logical fallacy here, is making god somehow this perfect being. 

Gods have never been perfect beings. Every one of them has all the faults of their human worshipers.  Or maybe I am wrong, and God IS perfect; it's just that we imperfect humans can't see it.

• Thanks 1

If I had a second citizenship in any other developed country, I'd be considering packing up, moving, and turning in my US passport. I don't and barring something like a lotto win so I could buy said citizenship, I'm pretty much stuck here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Gods have never been perfect beings. Every one of them has all the faults of their human worshipers.  Or maybe I am wrong, and God IS perfect; it's just that we imperfect humans can't see it.

Gods tend to have all the qualities of the worshiper's most significant parent. It is when one grows up and starts to realize that the parent has faults that one starts to consider what a God without those faults looks like. That will likely vary as each will emphasise a particular quality that is most significant to the individual believer. Not all make that transition though and stay stuck in the belief that the imperfect parent is the epitome of a God.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Gods tend to have all the qualities of the worshiper's most significant parent. It is when one grows up and starts to realize that the parent has faults that one starts to consider what a God without those faults looks like. That will likely vary as each will emphasise a particular quality that is most significant to the individual believer. Not all make that transition though and stay stuck in the belief that the imperfect parent is the epitome of a God.

I agree. I think we imagine whichever God or Goddess we believe in to be like our parents. If one had a strict parent, they believe in a strict God. If one had a loving and supportive parent, they imagine a loving and supportive God. It's they had a cruel parent, they imagine a cruel God. If they had an indifferent parent, they imagine an indifferent God. 

In reality, I believe God is too complex for us to truly comprehend, but I also believe all these views of God or Goddess that people hold have some truth in them. I'm basically a polytheist, but I can't help feeling like God is often indifferent to us - which I know comes from my own upbringing, so it's not really a logical view. 

In classical mythology, all the gods had human weaknesses, because those myths were written by humans to explain human nature more often than they were to explain divine nature. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I agree. I think we imagine whichever God or Goddess we believe in to be like our parents. If one had a strict parent, they believe in a strict God. If one had a loving and supportive parent, they imagine a loving and supportive God. It's they had a cruel parent, they imagine a cruel God. If they had an indifferent parent, they imagine an indifferent God. 

In reality, I believe God is too complex for us to truly comprehend, but I also believe all these views of God or Goddess that people hold have some truth in them. I'm basically a polytheist, but I can't help feeling like God is often indifferent to us - which I know comes from my own upbringing, so it's not really a logical view. 

In classical mythology, all the gods had human weaknesses, because those myths were written by humans to explain human nature more often than they were to explain divine nature. 

I'm atheist, and I don't think any of that exists. There has been no scientific proof to prove the existence or even non existence of any god or deity. That being said. I kinda think that the christian god is a jealous and controlling deity. I mean hates people worshipping other gods besides him or her or it. Then to top it all off, commits genocide. Over natural human behaviour. That this deity has too. I mean if we were created in this deity's image. Then sex and other things are natural to this deity.

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

As a native born citizen and a long-time patriot and America-booster: No. No, you don't. You want to get your partner to move to you.

I am not gonna force them to leave, if they don't want to. That really isn't right. I am willing to move to the US to be with them. So yes I do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Nope. You wouldn't have to go any further than Oregon. 🤭

That's good to know.  A road trip up through Oregon and Washington is definitely in our future plans. Now that my husband is retiring next month that may be a good trip to plan for next spring or summer.  

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.