Leaving The US -- Has Anybody Moved Or Are You Considering?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

4. Duchy of Grand Fenwick

5. Pimlico

(I was force fed British comedy as a child.)

NGL British Comedy is better than American Comedy. xD. I loved the show Little Britain. Also I live in Canada, where British media was very much prevalant here. 

• Like 1

Just now, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

1-3 are real places, @Scylla Rhiadra, not Ealing comedy films.

Yeah, but you have to admit that those comedy films are appealing.  They build on the pipe dream of running away to some mythical place where everything is peaceful.  Grand Fenwick is a land of happy peasants led by an inept monarchy, all but isolated from the modern world.  Given a choice ...

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

... where would you rather live????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Do you not understand the difference between television fiction and reality?

Or the fact that fiction is appealing because it mirrors reality?  It's all about escaping and finding that you can't really hide, which is the subtext in a lot of this discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm enjoying a show on this British channel, Acorn, named Good Karma Hospital:

"A medical drama about a junior doctor, Ruby Walker, who becomes disillusioned with her life and broken relationship, and decides to leave the UK. Seeing an advertisement for a hospital job in south India, she travels there hoping to make a fresh start and finds herself working at The Good Karma Hospital, an under-resourced and overworked cottage hospital run by an eccentric English expat, Dr. Lydia Fonseca".

good karma hospital.jpg

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Welcome! And oh gosh, I don't even know. There's just so much research involved in finding somewhere that'd work for me. I need to dedicate some time to really going through some places to see what's what, but so far, I have looked a *little* into Panama and liked what I saw

I checked out Panama, thinking it was all flat, but discovered it had many variations in height to the land...and quite beautiful.  Looks like you need less income to become a resident there too, although not quite sure if they mean retirement only:

https://www.journeyera.com/things-to-do-in-panama/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Wow, now I never considered Africa but I've always wanted to go on a safari there.

I will just stick to moving to the US for my partner or moving to Europe. I think those other countries are pretty and all, but the wildlife there is scary. Lol 

• Haha 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I checked out Panama, thinking it was all flat, but discovered it had many variations in height to the land...and quite beautiful.  Looks like you need less income to become a resident there too, although not quite sure if they mean retirement only:

https://www.journeyera.com/things-to-do-in-panama/

Nope, not retirement only. Same as most places - need property, money, or a job with a company. You used to be able to set up a business for it, but that might have changed in 2021.

The remote work/freelancer visas other places offer are likely my best option, since I have little intention to go back to being a full-time employee.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Wow, now I never considered Africa but I've always wanted to go on a safari there.

Ghana basically reached out to Black Americans after the Floyd protests and said y'all need to get your butts over here 😂. They've done that before, too. That's likely why I'm seeing some recently written blog posts like screw it off we go! Though the number of Americans that actually settled over there is pretty small - around 3,000, last I saw. Still an interesting proposal, lol. I believe they've got a streamlined dual citizenship process, but again, I reallllllly haven't looked into it too deeply yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Pimlico is a real place in London by the Thames on the opposite side of the river is Nine Elms/Vauxhall

It's also a race track (and a neighborhood) in Baltimore, Maryland (USA). Not very much like the Garden of Eden, but your taste may vary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Randall Ahren said:

The 16th most dangerous city in the world:

You can find danger almost anyplace, of course, but that's the only place where I have been unlucky enough to find it myself. That aside, it's an attractive city with many historic landmarks (remember Fort McHenry and the Star Spangled Banner?) , one of the country's top universities, and a fine selection of restaurants. Plenty of tourists throng the inner harbor quite safely on nice summer days.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.