Music In Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, all that modern stuff. There have been some half decent songs these last four centuries but really, Monteverdi ruined music with this "opera" thing he came up with and it's never recovered since then.

Oh please, the music scene has been in slow decline ever since they started banging on rocks with generic dinosaur bones, any "real musician" knows that only pterodactyl bones produce the correct timbre due to being hollow (sure some people skimp and use allosaurus bones but all the greats were pterodactyl aficionados).

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Oh please, the music scene has been in slow decline ever since they started banging on rocks with generic dinosaur bones, any "real musician" knows that only pterodactyl bones produce the correct timbre due to being hollow (sure some people skimp and use allosaurus bones but all the greats were pterodactyl aficionados).

You can see this recorded in Flintstones cartoons!

• Haha 4

Lol, best live show for me would be so dang hard to pick when I've got acts that range from Chris Botti to Tom Jones to Rammstein to Fishbone to pick from. My tastes are stupidly eclectic. 🤣

It's a toss up between Tom and Rammstein, honestly. Rammstein couldn't set anything on fire due to the venue in NYC being a bit too small for it (boo), so maybe Tom wins this round, because panties DID make the stage (I swear they weren't mine!!!!!).

• Like 1

This age old nut cracker raises its ugly head every few years in SL and I get pretty upset when I hear musicians attacking musicians.  The term musician is a very wide term.  Amongst them you have instrumentalist, vocalists and a wide variety of in betweeners.  I don't play a instrument, I wish I could, but that's life.     Yet I have spent thousands on my equipment, microphones, mixers etc.  Over the years I have also spent thousands of dollars in vocal lessons and have performed in a number of musicals over that time.  I know I will never get any of that money back.  I didn't start singing in SL for the fame and fortune.  I started singing for my pure love of singing.  I sing at least 15 songs during my shows of different genre.  I look around the studio I have set up and don't think about where I am going to fit the Big Band orchestra when I sing that type of music, I don't think of where the drummer is going to sit and if it will impact on the lead guitarist and I don't feel ashamed when, to get the same impact of a band behind me, I hit the play button.

I don't know who OkasanaSedia is nor have I heard them perform so I will not be uncomplimentary towards them.  The live music scene, in SL, is populated by every type of performer.  Some people play instruments but have a hard time singing in tune.  Some backing track singers sound like they have a mouth full of marbles and are trying to sing underwater and some backing track singers perform in SL and pretend to play instruments because they think it fools everyone.  So What!!!  At the end of the day none of this matters.  What matters in the love for singing, the love of performing and the love of being a musician.  What matters is that people who go along to these shows enjoy what they hear and spend at least an hour immersed in the music and possibly escaping the stress and strain that is in their RL.

The only exception I make to the term Live Singer or Live Performer is the fakes out there.  The ones who pre-record all their songs, fiddle with the mix to make them sound right and then pass them off as singing Live.  So you think you are listening to someone performing live and your just listening to them play their recording.  I have witnessed this being done more times over the years than I care to remember.  And its not just singers that have done this.  It has been done my instrumentalists too.  That is when I do get upset.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I feel like this rant applies to me, and so I will step up and defend myself. I am one of the 'coffeehouse' types... I go to a lot of trouble to find things to say that i think will interest my audience, but honestly, once I get started, I talk and play, talk and play... my personal opinion is that producing music is the key... if you are staging an entire band, good for you... if your thing is (like me) a mic and a guitar, that is good too... if you sing to tracks, good for you... sing your heart out... there are track singers that I absolutely adore... we are all individual musicians... and there is plenty of room for everyone... just my two cents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 4/16/2022 at 12:45 PM, OksanaSedia said:

I do not know where to rant this, but I shall try here. I wonder how many residents of Second Life goes to a show where supposedly someone is a musician, but what constitutes a Musician?. The reason I ask this is: I am a real life/second life musician. To me a musician is a person who plays a instrument and sings live rather it be at home or in a studio. I have heard plenty of strummer's and hummers who belong in a coffee shop, or at a Ren-faire. Do we consider these as real musicians or just people who thinks strumming a acoustic guitar, and with a tone deaf voice try to belt out ACDC, or Pink Floyd.  There is a hand full of strummer,s who are pretty good I give them that.  Or is live music someone who keys up a back track on their computer with a program called Butt, and with a loud microphone, and so much echo and reverb they drown their voice into a recording of what ever?. Or is a "REAL" Musician someone who has a life time of performing with many bands and now semi retired? The reason for this rant and or thoughts is simple.. I am that Musician, a semi retired pro performing with a real live band who plays in a studio, I have a home studio with thousands invested between instruments, computers, microphones, software, and professional wireless equipment.  The band I perform with is a real professional cover band, they perform from a studio we do our shows on jam kazzam(like zoom but for musicians). We do a hour and half to two hours of music like you would go to a real life concert in a stadium or club. We don't do all this chattering that most who call themselves musicians here in second life. We spend big money for copy-writes, to be able to perform legit. There is public performance licenses, and so much involved in a two hour production of one of our shows.   I do not get where a strummer and hummer as I call them, or coffee shop acoustic amateur person thinks they can come to a show and critique a wild rock show. So maybe what I/We as a band do is not your cup of tea, none-the less a true musician would know a live show if they heard one. And further more.... all this coffee shop music, why do they have to talk so much?, is it that people want that personal connection? So they feel special that the person on that prim stage called out their name?.  I heard one karaoke singer sing 4 songs and spent the rest of the time talking about herself(no names mentioned to protect the guilty). Who they hell wants to go to a show and listen to someone talk about themself for a half hour, I wanna hear music. Also requests that,s okay for a coffee shop musician performer, BUT would you go to a live rock concert and ask Mick Jagger, or Steven Tyler or even Slash to do such and such song.. Hell no!!, they are to busy doing their routines, and also trying to listen to the musicians in their bands.... Yes there is some communication with the audience, but mostly just to fill empty spaces and time... so they can wipe the sweat off or get a drink or change instruments.  So if you think a ren fare, or coffee shop, or karaoke singer  is a true musician think again ... I know everyone is different and have different tastes, but don't go criticize a hard working rock musician, because you didn't get your name called out.. That band is the one who is important at that moment,to give the fans and audience a good time and show. Okay enough of my rant.. You wish to know more then contact me... OksanaSedia... One of  Shakespeare's most famous lines: "If music be the food of love, play on."  Rock On and be well... Oksana

The human voice is as much an instrument as any other, and it takes rest, warming up, and care to use and maintain it, and talent to be able to sing well.

A real musician is someone who stays focused on their craft and does not care to spend time on what others are doing.

This isn't a competition. There are events with singers, there are events with players and there are events that have nothing to do with music whatsoever. And none of them are less legitimate than the others. Stay in your lane, look in the mirror and give YOUR fans what they want.

• Like 2

Definition of a Musician according to the Cambridge Dictionary and entertainer as per the Oxford Dictionary are in the captured images.

Being a venue owner I have had two musicians at my venue, both streaming live via Twitch.  The rest of my performers in my opinion are entertainers and are titled as such.  I love and appreciate every single one of them. 

I was a tad disappointed when I clicked on the YouTube link that it was just a Second Life performance and not a real life one.  How do we know that your music is not pre-recorded?  Usually the rest of the band are mere props for the stage performance in SL.  That link did not validate your "opinion".

4169531e50f6527972961459aaad4a0b.png

525a81fdabc26ffbb3d39311804af773.png

Edited by Annabella Benedict
Grammar and spelling mistakes
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Alazarin said:

Hey! 🤩 I have a 1999 Ric 4003 fireglo bass in RL ❤️ and SL too.
(amongst many other instruments). 
It took me soooo long to save up for one but I finally got my dream bass guitar.
Got it new in 2001? Because it had been sitting around in a music shop chain, (of stores),
since the day it was made. Didn't get it any cheaper of course.

Holy judgmental elitist Batman! First your opinion of who is talented, worthy of playing at such and such sim, SL or RL, is of your own. I will point to your failure, obscurity and relevance in music history compared to Weird Al. Is he talented and none for his amazing string work? Studio producing? No, but he is catchy, fun and enjoyed by many for not taking themselves seriously, (later half of that comment you might want read twice). I thought children and young adults had issues with the ME, ME, Me attitude but apparently they are in older company too. If given a choice, I think I would prefer to be the guy with the over kill rig, crazy fun software and way too big studio doing cool $hit, than the grouchy old guy with beat up 6 string, a few stories and a trove of gripes any day.  

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You do realize Jimmy Buffett is an old man? He is 75, owns a 6 string, has a few stories and a trove of old age gripes.

oops

What the hell does Buffett have to do with this guy spouting off on what he thinks or doesn't think is music? Focus or leave the room and let the adults talk. 

13 minutes ago, JimmyBuffett6673 said:

What the hell does Buffett have to do with this guy spouting off on what he thinks or doesn't think is music? Focus or leave the room and let the adults talk. 

You chose the username JimmyBuffett6673 so you must admire him.

Yeah, I've got your number now. Bye bye lardass.

DbpoEQyVMAAoTy-.jpg:large

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Haha 2

I had to. I just had to. This rant of yours got posted on FB and I had to come here and waste my breath on it again, because as someone else mentioned, this argument comes out every two years or so like clockwork.

The voice is an instrument.You need a certain skill set to be successful like timing, range, harmony,pitch and phrasing. Like any instrument, it has limitations- you can't play a melody and accompany yourself like you can on guitar or piano and you probably can't cover the same range as other instruments, but you do have the instrument with the most direct emotional impact on the most people. If you do it right.

Otis Redding, Jon Anderson, Joey Ramone, Johnny Rotten, Bono, Perry Farrel, Eddie Vedder
Janice Joplin,Grace Slick, Linda Ronstadt, Tina Turner, Deborah Harry, Patti Smith, Annie Lennox, Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Mariah Carey, Selena Gomez, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lopez, Tina Turner, Celine Dion, Jacob Sartorius, Sia, Kate Isobelle Furler, Nicki Minaj, Frank Sinatra Sr., Madonna, Cher, Gwen Stafani,  Stevie Nicks, Morrissey, Henry Rollins, Ozzy Osbourne, Matt Berninger, Michael Stipe, Vince Neal, David Lee Roth, Stephen Percy, Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Mick Jagger, peter Gabriel, Brian Johnson (AC/DC) Dio, Rob Halford, Morrison, Marilyn Mason, Axel Rose

All INCREDIBLE solo artists or front men that dont play an instrument..... are you going to tell them they arent musicians? (Some listed MAY play an instrument but dont as leads for their respective bands)

Maybe instead of complaining about others in SL who are doing their own thing and enjoying it as well as those that come to listen are... you should just embrace the diversity of the SL music scene. Because frankly, over inflated egos who feel they deserve more notoriety than they are receiving just dont come off well. Seems to me like youre frustrated with the fact that people dont even know who you are. You cant blame others because you havent found the niche you need in SL to get noticed and be a well known performer. Had you not come off as being pompous sounding, there would have been MANY people who would have been willing to help you get seen/heard and introduce you to other venues. Showing up in a crowd a performer would announce you being there and letting others know about your craft and to come check you out... instead you chose a route that wont win you many friends, or followers.

Signed, a "karaoke singer" with an 8 yr performance history and a TON of friends who enjoy coming out to hear my non-talented person speak to others and joke around on the mic between songs.... they seem to enjoy it, who are you to say they cant do something they enjoy?

Edited by Toxic Darkmatter
spellcheck
  • Like 3

Margaritaville!! \o/...........I mean ,LET there be Angus Young!\o/

hehehe

If I could go back in time, I would love to see Him when he was with Bon Scott and  even with AC/DC part two the early years.

I think he is the best all around guitar player/entertainer.. When I'm in my jeep and one of their songs come on, I have to make sure I take my foot off the gas.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

On 4/17/2022 at 6:18 PM, Annabella Benedict said:

Definition of a Musician according to the Cambridge Dictionary and entertainer as per the Oxford Dictionary are in the captured images.

Being a venue owner I have had two musicians at my venue, both streaming live via Twitch.  The rest of my performers in my opinion are entertainers and are titled as such.  I love and appreciate every single one of them. 

I was a tad disappointed when I clicked on the YouTube link that it was just a Second Life performance and not a real life one.  How do we know that your music is not pre-recorded?  Usually the rest of the band are mere props for the stage performance in SL.  That link did not validate your "opinion".

I do remember one "performer" who faked his death and had a memorial then he returned like nothing happened months later. This was about 10 years ago or so.

The person I sold my former live music club to did catch one playing a recording of him singing along with backing tracks --- He wasn't playing to backing tracks. That "performer" no longer plays at her club.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Senile.

40 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I do remember one "performer" who faked his death and had a memorial then he returned like nothing happened months later. This was about 10 years ago or so.

The person I sold my former live music club to did catch one playing to a recording. That "performer" no longer plays at her club.

I'm just curious as to what is wrong with a solo performer using recordings since not all musicians can sing and not all singers can play an instrument. I don't understand the exclusion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.