Music In Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Finite said:

She did a really good cover of Bastille’s Pompeii too. Tear jerking kinda good

Yes, that's one of my personal favourites, along with Say Something (originally by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera) and Meghan Trainors Like I'm Gonna Lose You.  I originally discovered her while watching covers of Ed Sheerans I See Fire (because I'm a huge Tolkien nerd!) and ended up pre-ordering her debut album after watching a few of her other youtube videos.

There are some really great and imaginative cover bands out there, Dread Zeppelin doing Led Zeppelin reggae covers with an Elvis impersonator on lead vocals, Hayseed Dixie doing bluegrass covers of AC/DC and other classic rock songs, Richard Cheese and his foul-mouthed lounge music renditions of popular music, among many others.

Walk Off The Earth covering Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know is a favourite of mine simply for the novelty of seeing five people all playing one guitar at the same time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

In the end, people listen to music that they like

this is true

a musician who had had some success in their life in the RL, came to SL and played music that I liked. Mostly sets from the late 90s and 00s - grunge and numetal influenced rock, with the odd cover of 80s classics, while also playing their own music from their band career, many songs of which I knew.  I pretty much went to every concert that they performed in SL. Was great !

often when there was no following musician booked in the next slot then they would just keep playing. Sometimes would play for 4 or 5 hours when they and us the audience were really getting into it late into the wee hours (the musician is in the same time zone as me) They would usually be last on the roster in the 9-11pm slot and would sometimes still be playing at 2am. Totally into it, same all of us present

then as the weeks grew into months the musician changed their set in response to the requests from the SL audience. Much more covers from the 80s. I was understanding of why this was. The SL population tends to skew older

a thing about older people when we see them at a concert or in front of the stage in a pub/club, totally into it and the band is playing the songs of their youth then they are often euphorically transported/transcended in the experience. In their minds to some degree they are 17 or 18 again, at least during those fleeting euphoric moments in their otherwise sober grownup lives. And when the band stops playing and the lights come on then they come out of the experience happy and still a little bit euphoric

musicians who play for live audiences understand euphoria. And in that state we (the audience) don't particularly care about the quality of the sound or equipment, or the competency of the person on the sound desk or the technical capability of the musician. We are into the music that transcends us

music of our youth. One of the most euphoric music experiences for me is the band Rage Against The Machine. I first heard this band when I was 15. Now today I am still transcended when I hear them

here is RATMs first concert ever. A band nobody had ever heard of at the time 1991.  At a festival, where everybody starts, on a back stage.  Terrible sound, terrible setup and not all that great technically musicianship wise.  At the beginning of their set an audience of two. Many people just walking past not interested. Every musician who has ever played a backstage knows what this is like.  As the set progresses tho people start to stop and listen and start getting into it.  Despite all the terrible, there is something euphoric in what is being played, in what is happening

eight years later, total euphoria for 1000s and 1000s of people

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

...Richard Cheese and his foul-mouthed lounge music renditions of popular music, among many others.

Lol, he's one of my favorite cover artists ever. Especially his version of Naughty Girl - gets me giggling EVERY time. "UH!"

Also highly imaginative - Pianists who cover rock and metal on pianos (vkgoeswild and Gamazda on YouTube are amazing!) and live looping artists who cover well-known rock songs with a combination of beatboxing, singing, and keyboard.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol, he's one of my favorite cover artists ever. Especially his version of Naughty Girl - gets me giggling EVERY time. "UH!"

Also highly imaginative - Pianists who cover rock and metal on pianos (vkgoeswild and Gamazda on YouTube are amazing!) and live looping artists who cover well-known rock songs with a combination of beatboxing, singing, and keyboard.

Yeah Kawehi is super-talented, watching the way she creates her tracks live is fascinating, I really liked her cover of NINs Closer too!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Yeah Kawehi is super-talented, watching the way she creates her tracks live is fascinating, I really liked her cover of NINs Closer too!

Agree. I love that one, too! Check out her Björk - Joga/Army of Me covers, as well, if you haven't already. Both VERY difficult songs to cover, let alone in the minimalist way she does it.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing the queen's name
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Agree. I love that one, too! Check out her Björk - Joga/Army of Me covers, as well, if you haven't already. Both VERY difficult songs to cover, let alone in the minimalist way she does it.

Her talent never ceases to impress me, the ability to take a bunch of instruments, etc. and single-handedly create music like that is just amazing!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Her talent never ceases to impress me, the ability to take a bunch of instruments, etc. and single-handedly create music like that is just amazing!

Yup! This is exactly why I'd never be able to claim one type of musician is more worthy of the title than another. Watch enough YouTube, and you'll see all kinds of wild talent people possess. 

Edit: OH, and if you like Richard Cheese, definitely check out Marc Rebillet on YouTube. Fair warning - he's filthy, but SO TALENTED (he's the one I mentioned who live loops in his undies).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Adding stuffs
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yup! This is exactly why I'd never be able to claim one type of musician is more worthy of the title than another. Watch enough YouTube, and you'll see all kinds of wild talent people possess. 

Edit: OH, and if you like Richard Cheese, definitely check out Marc Rebillet on YouTube. Fair warning - he's filthy, but SO TALENTED (he's the one I mentioned who live loops in his undies).

Yes there's a multitude of talented artists out there all creating in their own way, and most likely the one thing they all have in common is that they all started off with nothing more than a passion for creativity and the aspiration to learn, improve and share their talents with others, and that's really all it takes to be an artist, that and of course a lot of time and practice.

Thanks for the recommendation by the way, I'll definitely check out Marc Rebillet, if there's one thing I always have time for it's discovering new artists and music! :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Yes there's a multitude of talented artists out there all creating in their own way, and most likely the one thing they all have in common is that they all started off with nothing more than a passion for creativity and the aspiration to learn, improve and share their talents with others, and that's really all it takes to be an artist, that and of course a lot of time and practice.

Thanks for the recommendation by the way, I'll definitely check out Marc Rebillet, if there's one thing I always have time for it's discovering new artists and music! :) 

A thousand percent agree. And some just don't have the resources to drop the money on pro-audio studio equipment right off the bat (especially when learning), so they start off with a $29.99 mini djembe or cajon from Guitar Center or somewhere and years later, they're a touring percussionist. Maybe they stopped off in a nightclub or coffee shop somewhere early in their career when they still weren't very good, or logged into SL to do a set and build up some followers for their YouTube channel - still a musician IMO.

Don't say I didn't warn you about Marc btw - he's a crazy one, LOL, but he's funny as hell and his musical talent is insane. Fully improv (full livestreams are up on YouTube as well as shorter 1-track performances). You can start with "Funk Emergency" and/or "How to Funk in Two Minutes" if you want something relatively clean to check out first.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

A thousand percent agree. And some just don't have the resources to drop the money on pro-audio studio equipment right off the bat (especially when learning), so they start off with a $29.99 mini djembe or cajon from Guitar Center or somewhere and years later, they're a touring percussionist. Maybe they stopped off in a nightclub or coffee shop somewhere early in their career when they still weren't very good, or logged into SL to do a set and build up some followers for their YouTube channel - still a musician IMO.

Absolutely, you never know where some of these unknown artists may end up.  At one point in his career Jimi Hendrix was the opening act for The Monkees (apparently the fans weren't impressed and continually chanted "We want Davey! We want Davey!" when he started playing and he quit the tour after just nine days), during their first american tour Led Zeppelin were opening for bands like Country Joe & the Fish, Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly, and back in 1962 The Beatles were performing as the opening act for Brenda Lee.  We all have to start somewhere, no matter how legendary we may or may not become.

23 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Don't say I didn't warn you about Marc btw - he's a crazy one, LOL, but he's funny as hell and his musical talent is insane. Fully improv (full livestreams are up on YouTube as well as shorter 1-track performances). You can start with "Funk Emergency" and/or "How to Funk in Two Minutes" if you want something relatively clean to check out first.

Fortunately my sensibilities are pretty robust, one of the benefits of having eclectic tastes and being exposed to a wide variety of musical genres is that I'm not easily shocked.  I've already listened to a few of his tracks on Youtube and he's both awesome and hilarious and, yes most definitely NSFW. 😅  I look forward to introducing a few of my friends to Marcs work, I know they'll appreciate it too,  although the last time I introduced them to something they hadn't heard before it became an obsession which still persists to this day, but it was worth it just for the memory of seeing a bunch of large, aging, hairy, leather clad bikers dancing and singing along to German Sparkle Party!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OksanaSedia said:

So if you think a ren fare, or coffee shop, or karaoke singer  is a true musician think again ..

a lot of the biggest artists in music got their break starting out as performers in coffee shops, pubs, open mics, busking etc. i've seen hundreds of acts over the years in RL that just play just those sorts of places not always good but no less of a musician. if they want to talk about themselves or to the audience between songs however famous they are, great. i do like it when someone engages with their audience, if i want to hear song after song i could just stay at home and stick on an LP

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Absolutely, you never know where some of these unknown artists may end up.  At one point in his career Jimi Hendrix was the opening act for The Monkees (apparently the fans weren't impressed and continually chanted "We want Davey! We want Davey!" when he started playing and he quit the tour after just nine days), during their first american tour Led Zeppelin were opening for bands like Country Joe & the Fish, Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly, and back in 1962 The Beatles were performing as the opening act for Brenda Lee.  We all have to start somewhere, no matter how legendary we may or may not become.

Yup, exactly! It's quite amazing when you dig into the history of some artists and find out where they started (and how) and compare it to their highest achievements. It's precisely what's got me following amateur musicians on Twitch and YouTube because I just know one day someone's going to hit it big and I'm going to remember them dancing around in their underwear during quarantine singing about murderous flamingos. 😂

38 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Fortunately my sensibilities are pretty robust, one of the benefits of having eclectic tastes and being exposed to a wide variety of musical genres is that I'm not easily shocked.  I've already listened to a few of his tracks on Youtube and he's both awesome and hilarious and, yes most definitely NSFW. 😅 

LOL, I'm the same way and it was so random how I found out about the guy - I saw someone retweet a clip from a livestream he was doing at that moment and I watched it and thought - omg, what is this and why is this brilliant? An hour later, I was entirely obsessed - digging through his channel and watching everything I could find. I've binged so many of his livestreams over the past year, I really ought to be embarrassed by now. 🤣 It's the exact type of goofy humor I roll with, not to mention he's talented and has way more funk and rhythm than one person deserves! The stream he did with Harry Mack btw - watch that in full sometime. That was the almost perfect collab to end all collabs. Two improv artists just going ham live. He also did a stream with DJ Premier and Brady Watt that was a ton of fun, too. And one with Wayne Brady (now that's pure shenanigans).

44 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I look forward to introducing a few of my friends to Marcs work, I know they'll appreciate it too,  although the last time I introduced them to something they hadn't heard before it became an obsession which still persists to this day, but it was worth it just for the memory of seeing a bunch of large, aging, hairy, leather clad bikers dancing and singing along to German Sparkle Party!

It's funny - I always try to introduce new people to him and I find I bond so easily with the ones who get it. He's just a uniting force like that, lol. And OMG, why am I JUST NOW hearing German Sparkle Party? That's hilarious!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

this is true

a musician who had had some success in their life in the RL, came to SL and played music that I liked. Mostly sets from the late 90s and 00s - grunge and numetal influenced rock, with the odd cover of 80s classics, while also playing their own music from their band career, many songs of which I knew.  I pretty much went to every concert that they performed in SL. Was great !

often when there was no following musician booked in the next slot then they would just keep playing. Sometimes would play for 4 or 5 hours when they and us the audience were really getting into it late into the wee hours (the musician is in the same time zone as me) They would usually be last on the roster in the 9-11pm slot and would sometimes still be playing at 2am. Totally into it, same all of us present

then as the weeks grew into months the musician changed their set in response to the requests from the SL audience. Much more covers from the 80s. I was understanding of why this was. The SL population tends to skew older

a thing about older people when we see them at a concert or in front of the stage in a pub/club, totally into it and the band is playing the songs of their youth then they are often euphorically transported/transcended in the experience. In their minds to some degree they are 17 or 18 again, at least during those fleeting euphoric moments in their otherwise sober grownup lives. And when the band stops playing and the lights come on then they come out of the experience happy and still a little bit euphoric

musicians who play for live audiences understand euphoria. And in that state we (the audience) don't particularly care about the quality of the sound or equipment, or the competency of the person on the sound desk or the technical capability of the musician. We are into the music that transcends us

music of our youth. One of the most euphoric music experiences for me is the band Rage Against The Machine. I first heard this band when I was 15. Now today I am still transcended when I hear them

here is RATMs first concert ever. A band nobody had ever heard of at the time 1991.  At a festival, where everybody starts, on a back stage.  Terrible sound, terrible setup and not all that great technically musicianship wise.  At the beginning of their set an audience of two. Many people just walking past not interested. Every musician who has ever played a backstage knows what this is like.  As the set progresses tho people start to stop and listen and start getting into it.  Despite all the terrible, there is something euphoric in what is being played, in what is happening

You may like this then..

Matrix 4 grabbed their version for the movie. I seen the movie and right away  got chills when I recognized it was Brass Against and Sophia Urista's version..

I just really love the brass feel and her voice.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You may like this then..

Matrix 4 grabbed their version for the movie. I seen the movie and right away  got chills when I recognized it was Brass Against and Sophia Urista's version.

Thank you so much for posting this, it's been stuck in the back of my head since the movie !

• Like 1

I have spent a good amount of time performing "covers".
Mostly from around 1690 and prior to. Some as recent as the 1880's sure, but hey! call me trendy.

At last count it was three generations of my clan, (not all individuals), who could learn & perform music instantly by ear. (Mainly piano).
I have been fortunate enough to perform live at our Opera House and many many other grand venues.
I only ever recorded one piece for TV/movies which I wasn't even aware had been used - but that's ok, was helping a movie producer friend.
The first tune I ever learnt to play was "Little brown jug" on a Xmas gift ukelele, both the rythym & lead @4yo.

It has been some 15 years 8-/ since my last live performance and I am due to return to recording and spend the next 20 years
*signing off with original compositions. (I just need a RODE broadcasting mic for youtube etc).
No singing just music composition and spoken words explaining origins of symbols etc 
And I can't wait it's so goddamn exciting.
And I can't even read music. (Have never wanted or needed to).

In the mists of time, when your mother is an ex-studio backup vocalist and when alone, she sings to you, whilst you are in-utero AND you respond predictably
AND exhibit varied responses to sung emotions, tempos & styles - believe me, she's knows she's got a lively one on board. 😆 
When you automatically piece together your first little performance as a tiny tot and you catch her slightly misty eyed smile and joyous laughter:
You have arrived, just as she knew you would, exhibiting that one most desired trait of shared ancestry - musical affinity.

There are no discernible physical appearance or behavioural traits that would pinpoint this precisely as even mild WIlliams Syndrome
but personally I couldn't care less even if there were.
My fave thing to do is to take a beautiful stringed instrument into the woods, find a beautiful spot, sit there and play it for hours on end.
Even better is to try and coax an appearance of extremely rare mammal species such as an inquisitive Platypus. 🥰

You don't play music, you don't perform music - you live music, from your first breath to your very last. ❤️
Try it sometime. 😉

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I have spent a good amount of time performing "covers".
Mostly from around 1690 and prior to.

Oh, all that modern stuff. There have been some half decent songs these last four centuries but really, Monteverdi ruined music with this "opera" thing he came up with and it's never recovered since then.

• Haha 4

I'm a real musician in RL. Paid up member of the Musicians' Union [UK]. Over half a century of music mileage under my belt. I don't play to the mini-me crowd. I doubt whether you'd like my music or my SL performances. I'm not here for you or anyone else.

The Interplanetary Liberation Front Live in Second Life

Edited by Alazarin
adding stuff
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The best live music experience of my entire life was played to a crowd of 20 people. We loved it. The band loved it. The energy was off the charts.

The very worst was a 70% empty stadium and Morrisey being a dick and phoning it in. Didn't even stay till the end.

I think the best live performance I’ve seen was Aerosmith. It was in 2001. They were 2nd to last on the card (Marilyn Manson closed) at one of those radio station weekend concerts with a mix of bands. I wasn’t even a fan of theirs or anything. I think I was there to see the group Live (Lightning Crashes) who had already played earlier but Aerosmith was amazing. You could tell they’ve been doing it for 30-40 years by that point. Total professionals.

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/2001/wbcn-river-rave-2001-bd6b52a.html

Sadly I was too wasted to remember seeing most of these bands. I would love to remember seeing System of a Down, Greenday, Everlast and Cold Play. But I just remember Live, sobering up and my ears popping during Aerosmith and not really wanting to hang around for Manson at that point. I ended up staying for Dope Show and then leaving.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

He was Lonnie Knightfire in SL. He was just awesome. He played his own music and did some awesome covers. In his life he played stages, coffee houses. 

Lonnie Knight, a longtime local singer-songwriter, has died of esophageal cancer at age 68. Knight released a large body of solo work, and also played with storied Minnesota groups including the Castaways and the Hoopsnakes. He was asked to play on the Minneapolis sessions for Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks, but had to miss them because he was out of town.

Knight continued to play shows after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, including dozens in the last year alone. "There's something about playing that revitalizes me," he said in an interview last summer for the Local Current blog. "This would be a lot harder to do without playing."

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2017/05/09/lonnie-knight-dies-68

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2016/08/24/concert-to-benefit-ailing-minnesota-music-legend-lonnie-knight

And he was my friend. Rethink your opinions of SL music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.