And the Theme for SLB 19 is . . . Steampunk????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. So good!

That last piece especially!

Had to look it up. Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy, Spring/Summer NYC 2016 runway show. Maria Borges is the model wearing it in that photo, though she was not on the runway. Should've been, just saying. Her portfolio slays.

https://www.imgmodels.com/mariaborges/paris/women/portfolio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Had to look it up. Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy, Spring/Summer NYC 2016 runway show. Maria Borges is the model wearing it in that photo, though she was not on the runway. Should've been, just saying. Her portfolio slays.

https://www.imgmodels.com/mariaborges/paris/women/portfolio

Indeed. She's kind of gorgeous, and she's got really good presence.

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Indeed. She's kind of gorgeous, and she's got really good presence.

Right?! I know this is totally off-topic, but I swear a lot of these designers completely miss the mark when choosing models for their runway shows 😂 You should see some of the outfits in the rest of the show - so many gorgeous designs but...yeah. Dem stiff robot models.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled Steampunk thread. ❤️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

It isnt really very multicultural in it´s origin, its 100% european victorian.  The first picture posted by Catrie I would put as Afrofuturism, nowhere near Steampunk, the second picture just has jewelry made of gears, but not a single working mechanism, not steam OR punk.  And the third one is a caucasian cosplaying asian.

Im not going to say that a multicultural steampunk is impossible, but the evidence presented for it is not convincing me at all.

And I agree that it´s super niche, steampunk was soaring 10 or 15 years ago, but it´s not trending now, and it hasnt been long enough for a revival, that´s just my 2 cents.

It's origin certainly is, and that does make a difference in some ways. But then the best art often takes older forms and reshapes, appropriates, and transforms them. The novel is a Eurocentric form, but in the hands of a Nigerian writer like Chinua Achebe, or a Japanese novelist like Haruki Murakami -- although the latter is blending some Western traditions into the native Japanese tradition of the novel -- it can become a voice for a very different cultural tradition.

Steampunk isn't a very "pure" form either -- even the solidly Eurocentric versions often deviate a lot from a stricter definition of what it is "supposed' to be, so that's evidence that it's a fertile field for adaptation and creative play. It also, as Maddy and others have noted, overlaps and intersects with Retrofuturism in interesting ways.

Doing a bit of digging in the critical lit on the subject, I haven't found a lot of non-Eurocentric Steampunk outside of Japan, where there is a strong tradition that has cross-fed with the Western one. I think I mentioned Miyazaki somewhere above: a lot of my own exposure to Steampunk is via his anime. Interestingly, Porco Rosso and perhaps Howl's Moving Castle are set in explicitly European settings. There's a parallel genre called Silkpunk which is East Asian, and which employs some of the central mechanics of Steampunk, but is really kind of its own thing from what I can see.

In some ways, this is all rather moot, of course: we've been assured in the other thread that the Steampunk theme is merely a "suggestion" rather than a requirement. I should also note that Eurocentrism was only one of four or five things that I initially mentioned as being a bit "niche" about this choice -- and I literally meant simply that a very great many people aren't into the genre. The subtext that has arisen here, suggesting that Steampunk is also "colonialist" or "imperialist" is interesting (and last night I read some interesting discussions of that topic), but wasn't something I actually said.

Anyway, it's all rather cool. I learned stuff! And that makes this a very productive and interesting thread so far as I'm concerned. This is why I love these forums sometimes: people like yourself, Ayashe, and others have contributed really interesting things! So thanks for that!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used to be really serious about steampunk. For years, I ran an elaborate telegraph office at Clockwork Alchemy, the California steampunk convention.

Steampunk telegraph office, 2010-2019. Text in a message, and a messenger delivers it around the convention. Fully funtional antique machinery. Fully staffed and equipped telegraph office.

That convention is this weekend, and I'm not going. It's a fad that's over. Been there, done that, and those two young actors are a decade older.

I still go to New Babbage in SL, but there's seldom anyone there.

It's awfully late to do a steampunk theme.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

More a burden with their begging to nibble.

No, no - those folks were doing it wrong.

The trick is to make the girls beg you to nibble them. 

charlied-vampire.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

While I agree both with the "narrow theme" comments as well as the "steampunk is vast" point of view  ---- I was wondering just WHY LL decided on the genre.  In my mind (not theirs of course) it may have been to add some COHESIVENESS to the event. 

In years past and I think I have been in maybe eight events - everything from a small plot for MOSP to a two sim performance stage build -- the one thing that the event can be is SCATTERED with builds so divergent next to one another it is sometimes painful -- well, to ME anyway. 

Since I have always been a big fan of steampunk, I am personally thrilled and will apply again this year even though I had no plans to do that  :D.    I am not convinced that the narrowness of the theme (over "crystals" let's say as mentioned will pull things together but it may weed out some folks who traditionally make NO attempt to keep to the theme. It would be nice if LL actually policed the event (other than for Adult rating stuff and sale items).  I doubt that will happen though.    

Will be interesting. I am hoping the MOLE builds will be fun!  

Edited by Chic Aeon

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You never seen the movie? It was super steampunky..  I don't think it did as well as they were hoping..

I do like the song and video for it though..:)

Where did I say I hadn't seen Will's movie or didn't grow up watching the tv series?

My fav character was the Sierra No. 3. 😛

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

It would be nice if LL actually policed the event (other than for Adult rating stuff and sale items).  I doubt that will happen though.

Apparently there will be no attempt to enforce the theme.

Hello everyone,

I would like to clarify some of the confusion about being "in theme", the last couple of years we have been strongly encouraging resident exhibitors to be "out of theme" and display what they love about Second Life. This could be their own community, their art, their story or anything they wish to display. We removed the rule of having to be in theme for exhibitors.

The themes that are selected are specific to the main designs, such as the stages and decoration.

Please be yourself and show everyone what you been enjoying all these years in Second Life as an exhibitor! (Applications will open soon)

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/484574-sl19b-planning/?do=findComment&comment=2430078

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Where did I say I hadn't seen Will's movie or didn't grow up watching the tv series?

My fav character was the Sierra No. 3. 😛

That's why I asked if you never seen the movie, because you said it was a series and not a movie..

I never seen the series and only seen the movie.. hehehe

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's why I asked if you never seen the movie, because you said it was a series and not a movie..

I never seen the series and only seen the movie.. hehehe

I thought you would have noticed the list I posted was all movies. lol

WWW was one of those shows that really ticked me off when it was cancelled after only 4 seasons. 

Honestly, imo, the series was better but the movie was lots funnier and funner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Wild_West

Edit: There were 2 other movies made. Made for tv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Wild_West#Television_films

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I thought you would have noticed the list I posted was all movies. lol

WWW was one of those shows that really ticked me off when it was cancelled after only 4 seasons. 

Honestly, imo, the series was better but the movie was lots funnier and funner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Wild_West

I got a new monitor and the size is kind of goofy until I get everything set right on it or get used to it ..

When I entered the thread on this page I thought I was on the first post of the page, so I missed your post about that.. hehehehe

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I got a new monitor and the size is kind of goofy until I get everything set right on it or get used to it ..

When I entered the thread on this page I thought I was on the first post of the page, so I missed your post about that.. hehehehe

That's what ya get fer not thinkin. 😋

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.