So I went shopping for a basic tied back hairstyle...

Charalyne Blackwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Step 1. SL Marketplace. Awesome, vendors at my fingertips. Avatar Accessories>Hair. Boom. Simple. No, wait. Men's hair? Nah. Unisex? Not really. I want a ponytail. Simple and basic, right? *buzzer buzzes* Flexi, long, updo, short, other. I'd think updo, *click* Oooh almost 16,000 to choose from. Princess Leia buns, spikes, brooms, paint brushes, mohawks.

Step 2. Inworld stores. TP in. Hey, this is a real estate office. TP to the next stop. It's huge! Like a hangar for a 747. 962 styles on ONE WALL, in no apparent order or grouping of styles. Yeesh. TP to the next stop. Lots of demos! Awesome, I like this one. *clicks all over the sales board and ends up with 14 demos of the same style because there's NO OPTION to actually purchase the style* TP to the next stop. Oh look, hair by Picasso! Rainbow colors, blocks, torii, skyscrapers, is that a border collie?? Does anyone make a decent plain ponytail? TP to the next stop. 157 vendor boards with 3 styles each, only on one side.

Step 3. Looking through my existing inventory, maybe I'll just make do (no pun intended) with what I have. Or just go bald. Or wear my tiger avatar and say f*ck it.

The SL Marketplace seems to have a lot of dead vendors, or store links that aren't stores anymore. Am I the only one who thinks the shopping experience could stand to be remade with some updates and streamlining, or better guides for making an effective store?

(rant over, please resume your normal posting)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Lol, I feel your pain. I only ever really use the marketplace if I'm looking for something extremely specific. That, or full perm/mod items to build with, because shopping for those inworld can be a real pain in the beep boop.

If you haven't found one yet, pop on over to Foxy and demo the Charm style. It's interactive.

Oh wait, there's a MP store, too - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Foxy-Charm-Hair-Blond/20519766

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Step 1. SL Marketplace. Awesome, vendors at my fingertips. Avatar Accessories>Hair. Boom. Simple. No, wait. Men's hair? Nah. Unisex? Not really. I want a ponytail. Simple and basic, right? *buzzer buzzes* Flexi, long, updo, short, other. I'd think updo, *click* Oooh almost 16,000 to choose from. Princess Leia buns, spikes, brooms, paint brushes, mohawks.

Step 2. Inworld stores. TP in. Hey, this is a real estate office. TP to the next stop. It's huge! Like a hangar for a 747. 962 styles on ONE WALL, in no apparent order or grouping of styles. Yeesh. TP to the next stop. Lots of demos! Awesome, I like this one. *clicks all over the sales board and ends up with 14 demos of the same style because there's NO OPTION to actually purchase the style* TP to the next stop. Oh look, hair by Picasso! Rainbow colors, blocks, torii, skyscrapers, is that a border collie?? Does anyone make a decent plain ponytail? TP to the next stop. 157 vendor boards with 3 styles each, only on one side.

Step 3. Looking through my existing inventory, maybe I'll just make do (no pun intended) with what I have. Or just go bald. Or wear my tiger avatar and say f*ck it.

The SL Marketplace seems to have a lot of dead vendors, or store links that aren't stores anymore. Am I the only one who thinks the shopping experience could stand to be remade with some updates and streamlining, or better guides for making an effective store?

Faga just had a tied back hair on sale over the weekend. You'll pay full price now but it was pretty. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

The SL Marketplace seems to have a lot of dead vendors, or store links that aren't stores anymore.

One thing that can help a bit is to "sort" your search results by "Age: Newest First." It should reduce the number of "dead" stores and vendors you get. Also, mesh hair has come a long way even in the past couple of years, so it will also help find more up-to-date and realistic looking styles.

I have my hair sorted by length, style, and a few other categories, including folders for "Hair - Back," "Hair - Ponytails," "Hair - Pigtails" and "Hair - Updos." It would be nice if the categories for hair on the MP were a bit more descriptive and granular, wouldn't it?

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

When searching a specific style like Ponytail, I pick a hair store first and then choose the keyword in that store.  I used Truth as an example...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/13/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=Ponytail

ETA.  This is by no means a complete or up to date.list but it's helped me find specific styles...

https://hairsl.wordpress.com/stores-in-alphabetical-order/

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Faga just had a tied back hair on sale over the weekend. You'll pay full price now but it was pretty. 

Many of the weekend sale vendors aren't actually taken down immediately.

That hair is still on sale for now.

• Like 1

Step 4: Reach out in the forums or to your friends for help instead of losing all your time trying to search for clothing/accessories/hairstyles. Some of us are very into ponytail/tied back styles and will surely give you plenty of options to chose from :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Something like this. No braids, ribbons, curls, swirls, or loops. Image search was almost as bad as mp :P

gisele-bundchen-ponytail.jpg

Try this one: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/TRUTH-Destiny-Hair-Fatpack/20805153

It's similar to what you're looking for, although with a bit more volume :P and comes in different sizes + styling HUD.
Now with a inworld view of how it looks.

ScrnShot_137.jpg

Edited by Aiyumei
  • Thanks 1

Optional bangs, this should be close. You will need the style HUD to have the hair back and not on the side.

DOUX NEWS @Treschic!

Same, optional bangs, need style HUD.

DOUX NEWS @TresChic!

When I am in a huge store, and I know the name of the product, I use area search to find what I am looking for. One of the Firestorm features I can't live without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are older ones.  It's just a hairbase with pony attachment.  Not sure if she's updated the bases for EvoX but I've worn them with other bases.  They also have 'action' options which you might like for your pics.  From ItGirls...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/57068

_MkP.jpg.8dd0ee0325d83adcc7f6cc7245daf003.jpg

kimm.jpg.c2cf763a3a632aa448ae602ffa7bf039.jpg

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*not a flex but*

This is why I've decided to ignore MP and make flickr wishlists instead

https://www.flickr.com/photos/erukanova/galleries

where I can categorize everything and even if links get outdated, i know who made the item and can easily find them iw, check their picks where like 99.99% of them have some form of LM to their stores, even if it appears nowhere else. Also, items with demos as primary vendors usually have "right click > menu > deliver" option  in them ^^ Happy shopping

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SkylarNitely96 said:

hope you managed to get what you're looking for :) im just glad that someone else is frustrated with the marketplace lol 

(ps, i still can't upload a bloomin' photo!!! :( )

You can copy-paste images into forum pages, paste image URLs, as well as upload to the forum's image storage. When using the forum's storage you are limited by file size. 2MB I think. So, JPG is generally the smallest format.

You can get most image's URL by right-clicking and selecting copy link.

27 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You can copy-paste images into forum pages, paste image URLs, as well as upload to the forum's image storage. When using the forum's storage you are limited by file size. 2MB I think. So, JPG is generally the smallest format.

You can get most image's URL by right-clicking and selecting copy link.

hey Nalates! thank you :) but when i paste a url into the insert image box, it turns pink(ish) and nothing happens - I'm beginning to think I'm really silly lol

https://my.secondlife.com/skylarnitely96/snapshots/621510fb29c4927e583b2e6a

14 minutes ago, SkylarNitely96 said:

hey Nalates! thank you :) but when i paste a url into the insert image box, it turns pink(ish) and nothing happens - I'm beginning to think I'm really silly lol

https://my.secondlife.com/skylarnitely96/snapshots/621510fb29c4927e583b2e6a

There is some sort of time /post requirement when you're new on the forums.  No one knows how long or how many posts before you can upload.  Keep trying!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.