Is this forum too nice?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Define too nice. I've seen shade here and disagreements but the days of the keyboard warriors seem to have passed. I don't see a lot of baits/attacks. Shade, yes. So no I don't think everyone is being too nice I think most have grown up or grown tired.

• Like 5

What do you mean? I only started last week pretty much and have been accused of being a troll, a lier etc. I'm on a couple of other social media platforms and it was the first time to have  shade thrown at me haha. Other than that one time on Facebook when an American called me obnoxious for calling an aubergine, an aubergine 🍆.  Apparently they're called egg plants in America haha 😄 Anyway, everyone seems fine, some awesome, some self righteous, you know....the usual 😜

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

What do you mean? I only started last week pretty much and have been accused of being a troll, a lier etc. I'm on a couple of other social media platforms and it was the first time to have  shade thrown at me haha. Other than that one time on Facebook when an American called me obnoxious for calling an aubergine, an aubergine 🍆.  Apparently they're called egg plants in America haha 😄 Anyway, everyone seems fine, some awesome, some self righteous, you know....the usual 😜

The only reason any shade was thrown your way was for the reasons mentioned.  We had just had a rather contentious thread on the exact same subject locked 2 days prior to yours.  The OP of.that post is notorious for starting inane threads that he uses to throw his own shade and disrespect at pretty much everyone who replies.

My apologizes if my posts were taken as shade.  

And welcome to the forums.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The only reason any shade was thrown your way was for the reasons mentioned.  We had just had a rather contentious thread on the exact same subject locked 2 days prior to yours.  The OP of.that post is notorious for starting inane threads that he uses to throw his own shade and disrespect at pretty much everyone who replies.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. I really had no idea why regulars were being so mean spirited. In fairness, I also didn't know it is frowned on here to cross post. I usually post on reddit because I'm a trader and that's where my community is ^^. We usually cross post through different platforms because being up to date is very important so I guess I have that habit. I won't cross post again. I think before I post in the future I should do a group search to make sure the topic hasn't already been covered instead of verbally vomiting up my stream of consciousness haha. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Thank you, that means a lot to me. I really had no idea why regulars were being so mean spirited. In fairness, I also didn't know it is frowned on here to cross post. I usually post on reddit because I'm a trader and that's where my community is ^^. We usually cross post through different platforms because being up to date is very important so I guess I have that habit. I won't cross post again. I think before I post in the future I should do a group search to make sure the topic hasn't already been covered instead of verbally vomiting up my stream of consciousness haha. 

By cross.post they meant you posted the same thing in 2 different areas of THIS forum.  It's fine to post something here you've posted elsewhere online.  Most of us wouldn't even know.  

It's more.of an issue when people ask for help and post.their question in multiple sections such as this section, tech and answers.  One post,.one section.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

See what I mean? Nice.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

But you are a troll, so there's that.

• Confused 2

an American called me obnoxious for calling an aubergine, an aubergine 🍆.  Apparently they're called egg plants in America haha

That's not all they're called.

Frankly, I'm half surprised the prudish forum censorship filters doesn't replace the emoji with an asterisk.

🍆

🍆

🍆

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's not all they're called.

Frankly, I'm half surprised the prudish forum censorship filters doesn't replace the emoji with an asterisk.

🍆

🍆

🍆

Actually, I'm starting to think we should use the 🌽 emoji instead, but perhaps that's because I'm American, so the shape is more evocative to me of the object it's meant to represent. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Actually, I'm starting to think we should use the 🌽 emoji instead, but perhaps that's because I'm American, so the shape is more evocative to me of the object it's meant to represent. 😉 

Or maybe 🍄

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Well when I say almost everyone is nice I mean mostly regulars. 

For some reason the new posters who are not nice seem not to stick around long.

• Like 2

Too nice? No. I think this is an average forum community with everything that comes with those communities. Nothing is perfect. From an observer's perspective long before I began to post here and there I've gotten to see both sides. There are many polite, nice and genuinely helpful people here who truly wish to make others feel welcome. A few trolls visit and join the forums to stir the virtual pot. New and old SL members alike come seeking answers to questions. Community members who step in to help those seeking help. There is also a clique that exists here that only accepts certain community members while completely ignoring others. Very much like any other forum I've been part of. Personally I don't see these things as either positive or negative. They are just the average ebb and flow of any forum. LL keeps the forums pretty well moderated so things stay pretty balanced from what I've seen.

I think like anything a forum is what a person makes of it. Within moderation I enjoy reading through threads. It is interesting. I enjoy it far more than responding to topics most of the time. Unless I feel I have something to actually add to a conversation. I read and take part in the parts of the forum I'm comfortable with. I ignore the rest for my own sanity and take breaks when I feel I'm getting a tad too involved. So no I don't find the forum members too nice. There is a nice balance to these forums. I think that is so much better than being too nice.

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 4

I've noticed the forums I frequent have become less hostile over the past few years, I think it is due to forums not being as popular as they once were and most people moving over to social media to form groups.  Likewise, with twitter as popular as it is now, I think perhaps it is safer and kind of expected for people to post their grievances there when it comes to matters of hostility.  I'm not entirely certain, because I avoid larger social sites like the plague, with the exception of reddit which I read but do not participate in.

For someone seeking to sow the seeds of corruption, and interested in causing instability in a community, forums do not offer quite as much opportunity.  They have greener fields where there is a larger and more captive audience.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I've noticed the forums I frequent have become less hostile over the past few years,

Wait until next U.S elections, that's usually when the fun begins. People will try to solve everything that hasn't been solved for the last 100 years, in the forum.

xT39D2mhp2ugvYZkUE.gif

Edited by Nick0678
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Wait until next U.S elections

Oh gawds, I am not looking forward to that.  Hopefully we can get through 2022 without it driving us all insane, and having us at one another's throats. 

Edited by Istelathis
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I've noticed the forums I frequent have become less hostile over the past few years, I think it is due to forums not being as popular as they once were and most people moving over to social media to form groups. 

I have observed that too. Plus, in general the people that use forums kinda matured in a way when all the chaff went to different social media spaces. 

Of course this doesn't mean that there isn't a fair share of trolls that still exists in the forum space. 

Edited by niko89bg
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 967 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.