need help... FS inventory issue since last night

Sandra8675

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have no idea what changed in my settings.

Suddenly when i double click on my appearance menu on a specific item....  that function is now not finding and highlighting the item in my inventory...  when i double click on items in appearance it is now making the item disappear from my body.  

uugggg... . is there a way to make it so when i double click on items in appearance it finds and highlights the items in inventory?

Hi Sandra! I noticed you, or someone anyway, asked the same question in the Firestorm Support Group a few hours ago, so I'm assuming you haven't found an answer.

I don't have an answer for you either, but I have a couple of thoughts...

If you previously backed up your settings, you might restore them from the backup. If the problem really is something you changed in Preferences, this may fix it by going back to before the change.

However, I didn't see any items in Preferences that would affect how the Appearance menu works, nor did I see any controls or settings within the Edit Outfit window.

Note, I don't see a menu in FS labeled Appearance any more (I'm using the rectangular context menu, not the old style round pie menu). What I have is Edit Shape and Edit Outfit. Using Edit Outfit, I can't get items to detach OR open up in inventory by double clicking them, either the worn item itself or in the list of worn/attached items. The double click on an item in inventory does cause it to Wear or Attach, but I've never heard of or seen it working in the other direction!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

I have no idea what changed in my settings.

Suddenly when i double click on my appearance menu on a specific item....  that function is now not finding and highlighting the item in my inventory...  when i double click on items in appearance it is now making the item disappear from my body.  

uugggg... . is there a way to make it so when i double click on items in appearance it finds and highlights the items in inventory?

Maybe check your keyboard closely that there is not a stuck key. I've had unpredictable behaviours like that in past where it was such a thing. Maybe even try a different keyboard or unplug it and use the on screen one to check if it is the same.

funny actually i have just had a problem with my inventory too. I just picked up some things from the shop and hop but the new things are just not showing up in recent and my inventory when I have clicked to get some gifts. I checked filters wasn't on as well but yes strange things not showing up and stuff going missing.

Use a different viewer... if you want RLV, built-in AO, Radar, Look-at, 360-degree snapshots, etc. I recommend Alchemy Project Agile Akita. It's not available on their website (The beta download on their website is old and broken), to get Agile Akita you'll have to join their discord here: https://discord.gg/XEseWzCg and check the #project-viewers channel for the download link. 

If you don't care about the extra features, try the official SL viewer or the Performance Project Viewer. 

If you want a classic look, try Cool VL.

If you want a viewer with epic inventory management features, try Catznip.

If you want awesome photo tools, try Black Dragon (Windows Only)

All of the above-mentioned viewers have less issues as they've been updated more recently than Firestorm.

If you're a diehard Firestorm fan/user; don't despair, it's not the end of the world, they are working on an update. You can switch back to FS once they've released an update. In the meantime, any other more recently updated viewer will give you a more pleasant in-world experience including better performance (Alchemy, Catznip and the Performance Project Viewer have the best performance out of the bunch). 

ETA: Queue laugh-reacts and snarky feedback from the Firestorm cult due to me recommending a different viewer as a temporary solution. So sorry that I’m trying to help people enjoy their in-world experience rather than blaming them or their setup/hardware/internet for the issues they’re experiencing, even though the majority of the recently reported issues are related to Firestorm only. Just trying to help, but fine, mock and hate me for it. Sorry I’m not part of the cult. ✌️

Edited by davidventer
ETA response to laugh-reacts.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

People who use Firestorm need to 1) stop running off the very people who can help and 2) USE THE FREAKING FS WEBSITE

firestorm_troubleshooting [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

Need more? Support - Firestorm Viewer - The Phoenix Firestorm Project Inc. tells you where and how to find the support groups inworld.

25 minutes ago, davidventer said:

Use a different viewer... if you want RLV, built-in AO, Radar, Look-at, 360-degree snapshots, etc. I recommend Alchemy Project Agile Akita. It's not available on their website (The beta download on their website is old and broken), to get Agile Akita you'll have to join their discord here: https://discord.gg/XEseWzCg and check the #project-viewers channel for the download link. 

If you don't care about the extra features, try the official SL viewer or the Performance Project Viewer. 

If you want a classic look, try Cool VL.

If you want a viewer with epic inventory management features, try Catznip.I

Curious question: what are these inventory management features? Vanity has an inventory of 244,000 items 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Curious question: what are these inventory management features? Vanity has an inventory of 244,000 items 😉

I haven't used Catznip much, so I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think the inventory management features may only apply to the way the viewer handles and organizes newly received/opened items.

Maybe @Coffee Pancakecan better explain how it works. 

Edited by davidventer
  • Thanks 1

Just adding that I have been having major "sorting" inventory issues for about a week. Cleaning inventory and CAREFULLY moving items from one inventory pane to another (I am thirteen so know how to do this). Folders that SHOULD be under a main or sub category (example H and G indoors > lighting   --- appear somewhere else like down a few folders under  rugs for example).  This has happened repeatedly over many days.  I have not installed a new Firestorm or changed any settings.   

Also for over a week (a friend IMed me wondering if it was just her) items have been taking forever to rez when taken out of inventory -- small coalesced groups of maybe three items say are particularly slow.   

I can't see that this is a viewer specific problem (mine anyway) since this is the same version of FS I have had for months. 

What I DID notice a few days ago was that I got a message that my viewer setting had been change to coincide with my graphics driver.  "I" didn't do anything with my graphics driver but Windows has been doing small updates (I have not opted into 11) so I suspect this may have something to do with their driver updates. 

I have had some double click inventory issues also, but not the one the OP mentioned as I right click and "add" for clothing.

That's my input on the current inventory issues. 

Logging into another viewer WILL fix small problems like disappearing inventory. This is well known and the info on that small file that needs to be corrected is on the "missing inventory" page in the Firestorm wiki.   It isn't going to fix MY problem but at least I know it is a problem now and can watch for issues.   

Folders have also been moved to my top inventory tree from the place they had been sorted to previously --- this on login.   This inventory stuff and slow rezzing seems much more "cloud" oriented to me.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

There are?  I haven't had any.

I've been having an issue with Firestorm too. In my case, if I enable shadows and then set Midday, or the day cycle hits noon, or I set my sun elevation manually to 90 degrees overhead, the shadows break up and jitter with every camera move, just like texture thrashing on textures that are too nearly co-planar. I seem to be alone in this, other Firestorm users don't have the problem. And it does not occur with the standard viewer.

EDIT: Wow, I solved it! It  turns out that, in response to an earlier suggestion, I had set RenderShadowBias from its default of 0.004 to 0.0, to attach my shadow to my feet accurately. (The separation of one's shadow from one's person is called "Peter Panning"). Returning it to default fixed the shadow thrashing problem! I also found that changing it to 0.001 almost fixes the Peter Panning, but does not result in all the other shadows going crazy.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
new info
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.