disconnection

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to have a MySpace page (yeah, I'm dating myself with that).  I lost EVERYTHING after the mass exodus, including a lot of damn fine blogs and photos that I was stupid enough NOT to save offline.  Yes, I was pissed off for a time, but then I shrugged after allowing one hour to be angry and moved on with my life.

I had a free website on an ISP when I lived with my Mother.  When I moved away, I lost that free host.  My html code was saved on a 3.5" floppy.  I cannot access any of that now.  Again I shrugged and moved on with my life.  HTML is old news, and all of my hard work creating mouseover graphics is positively primitive now. 

For the most part the internet is ephemeral, like fairy dust.  I don't see any point in getting overly attached to it.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I used to have a MySpace page (yeah, I'm dating myself with that).  I lost EVERYTHING after the mass exodus, including a lot of damn fine blogs and photos that I was stupid enough NOT to save offline. 

I was going to do a thread called 'MySpace memories' but I didn't think anyone here would be interested...but yes, I remember those days, I actually miss them a lot...

Also, I was quite foolish and deleted my SL account around 2015, but though it got reinstated, I pretty much lost all my inventory, including rare one off items that I made and that others made for me 😐

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I was going to do a thread called 'MySpace memories' but I didn't think anyone here would be interested...but yes, I remember those days, I actually miss them a lot...

Also, I was quite foolish and deleted my SL account around 2015, but though it got reinstated, I pretty much lost all my inventory, including rare one off items that I made and that others made for me 😐

I rp'd on MySpace. I was Claude Monet and Sulamith Wülfing as well as myself. I made beautiful html with all of their pictures and some history.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I remember when they use to say anything you put on the internet would be out there forever.  They lied.

It's every developer's dream is to drop production database and pull the plug on the servers 😄

Edited by Aiyumei
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Virtual traces of me will probably be around long after physical me is gone. I hope if/when SL permanently goes offline they snapshot it and store it intact somewhere, like a virtual Pompeii to puzzle future generations of digital archeologists. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Ren Toxx said:

Nevertheless, what is your conclusion to the circumstance you exposed in your original post?

I think it is more or less the same as many others and that is that everything is ephemeral. But perhaps the opposite is also true, namely that our life in flesh and blood is even more ephemeral.
What is your opinion instead?

13 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

What is your opinion instead?

Well, you see, it’s a bit like stating that the Sun comes out from the East, and inviting others to say what they think about it. You would get a vast majority who are, indeed, aware of it—plus, I imagine, a few who are either unaware of it, or even the odd ones believing it does not come out from the East.

But by and large, and as Sid said, it’s a given fact. So it is that online stuff isn’t guaranteed eternal.

Therefore, when one states a given fact like the Sun coming out from the East, or online things being ephemeral, usually what one is actually inviting is to draw further conclusions FROM that fact. Or, in your own words, “elements that need to be discussed about it”. Otherwise it merely is a technical exchange, and not really a matter of ‘opinion’, on the exact reliability of online servers, something we’re arguably hard-pressed to pontificate on since most of us aren’t the maintainers of those servers... or the long-term willingness of those same maintainers to keep maintaining them, which we’re equally hard-pressed to elaborate on, and for the same reason.

That’s why I enjoined Sid’s question as to what was your conclusion FROM the above stated fact; all the more since it’s a great inspiration of yours, and therefore you surely have one conclusion or another to share with us, while you ask us to do the same.

Cheers 🙂

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ren Toxx said:

Well, you see, it’s a bit like stating that the Sun comes out from the East, and inviting others to say what they think about it. You would get a vast majority who are, indeed, aware of it—plus, I imagine, a few who are either unaware of it, or even the odd ones believing it does not come out from the East.

But by and large, and as Sid said, it’s a given fact. So it is that online stuff isn’t guaranteed eternal.

Therefore, when one states a given fact like the Sun coming out from the East, or online things being ephemeral, usually what one is actually inviting is to draw further conclusions FROM that fact. Or, in your own words, “elements that need to be discussed about it”. Otherwise it merely is a technical exchange, and not really a matter of ‘opinion’, on the exact reliability of online servers, something we’re arguably hard-pressed to pontificate on since most of us aren’t the maintainers of those servers... or the long-term willingness of those same maintainers to keep maintaining them, which we’re equally hard-pressed to elaborate on, and for the same reason.

That’s why I enjoined Sid’s question as to what was your conclusion FROM the above stated fact; all the more since it’s a great inspiration of yours, and therefore you surely have one conclusion or another to share with us, while you ask us to do the same.

Cheers 🙂

I think you have enriched the thread as others have done with your opinion which remains your opinion and which may or may not be useful for some. I am very interested in the argument you added regarding knowledge of things and that only experts on a subject have the right faculties to express themselves on that subject.
On the other hand, it is also true that if I am in town and I'm hungry and I see a restaurant with a menu displayed that I don't like, I don't go into the restaurant to tell the waiter that I don't want to have lunch there because I don't like the menu, but I go and look for another restaurant where I like the menu.

• Like 2

Not to divert the thread but factually the Sun does not come out of the East as the Sun is static and it is the Earth that moves in relation to it. Unless of course we are talking about geocentricity or a flat Earth.

I don't know how that relates to the general theme of the thread but just thought I'd throw that in there. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not to divert the thread but factually the Sun does not come out of the East as the Sun is static and it is the Earth that moves in relation to it. Unless of course we are talking about geocentricity or a flat Earth.

I don't know how that relates to the general theme of the thread but just thought I'd throw that in there. 😁

Instead, I believe your contribution is excellent. 😛

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Proves the adage that if one throws enough mud against the wall, something will stick!

However, returning to the topic, Toxx with his contribution made me think that our real life is probably more ephemeral than our virtual one.
If you think about it, everything we've done online will continue to outlive us for many years.

11 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

So you think this great inspiration of mine needs to be closed in such an abrupt way?
Don't you think there may be elements that need to be discussed?

Everything you put online from day one no longer belongs to you.
It could disappear anyway from one day to the next.
You actually have no control.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I rp'd on MySpace. I was Claude Monet and Sulamith Wülfing as well as myself. I made beautiful html with all of their pictures and some history.

A few years ago walking into a shop that repairs cell phones to fix mine (broken screen, a classic) there was a girl who was asking the salesman with tears in her eyes how she could recover all her photos from Facebook because they had burned her account and everything was gone. 😂

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.