Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why is that? I feel like there are two people in SL. Those of us who realize it's just a game. Like an MMO. And then those people who metaphorically upload their conscienceness into our avatars and really can't tell the difference between the two worlds. I believe that SL is just a video game, that one can interact with people all over the world. Kinda like MMOs.

That's your opinion, and it's fair. I don't believe SL is just a video game. People have gotten married in RL from here. I've had friends cry on my SL shoulder over RL tragedies they chose to share with me. It all depends on the perspective of the person.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Sorry . I disagree. To me the term "Second Life" means First life 2.0. That just doesn't sound as good for marketing. We can abandon whatever we choose to. No one is forcing me to go to a "Disneyland" sim. Sheepishly adding that a friend did ask me, and I will go with her.

If that were so, you'd not have the choice to be a female in SL.  Unless, of course, you do go.out as a woman in RL, pick up men and charge them for sex.  There is nothing parallel in that, is there?  There are.plenty of.people that have nothing whatsoever to do with the adult side of SL.  There are plenty of things one can do in SL that they simply can not do in RL.  Like flying, teleporting, muting people.  There are.thing you can do in RL that you can't do.in SL.  Smelling, tasting, feeling the wind in your face when you sail. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

That's your opinion, and it's fair. I don't believe SL is just a video game. People have gotten married in RL from here. I've had friends cry on my SL shoulder over RL tragedies they chose to share with me. It all depends on the perspective of the person.

People have gotten married in Minecraft, GTA online, and many other online video games. But even then a marriage in any of these doesn't constitute a legal marriage. And I have had gaming friends crying over my shoulder in other games. There is really no difference between SL and any other online game.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If that were so, you'd not have the choice to be a female in SL.  Unless, of course, you do go.out as a woman in RL, pick up men and charge them for sex.  There is nothing parallel in that, is there?  There are.plenty of.people that have nothing whatsoever to do with the adult side of SL.  There are plenty of things one can do in SL that they simply can not do in RL.  Like flying, teleporting, muting people.  There are.thing you can do in RL that you can't do.in SL.  Smelling, tasting, feeling the wind in your face when you sail. 

I said parallel. Not "the same". 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

People have gotten married in Minecraft, GTA online, and many other online video games. But even then a marriage in any of these doesn't constitute a legal marriage. And I have had gaming friends crying over my shoulder in other games. There is really no difference between SL and any other online game.

People have gotten married IN REAL LIFE after they had met in SL. I can't argue over what happens in online games, because I don't play them. I'm in SL only.

29 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I said parallel. Not "the same". 

45 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

People have gotten married IN REAL LIFE after they had met in SL. I can't argue over what happens in online games, because I don't play them. I'm in SL only.

Parallel things do not cross over each other by definition.  Side by side along the same path.

11 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why is that? I feel like there are two people in SL. Those of us who realize it's just a game. Like an MMO. And then those people who metaphorically upload their conscienceness into our avatars and really can't tell the difference between the two worlds. I believe that SL is just a video game, that one can interact with people all over the world. Kinda like MMOs.

The only real reason I disagree with this, is because SL would be the absolute worst MMO in any list, just from the start you have no set goals, there are no "quests", 90% of the people are not even playing the same game you are, there is a distinct lack of NPCs, etc.

Instead I think that MMOs usually have some open world characteristics, they are usually on rails, but there is enough room between the rails to form bonds and getting married or a few other activities. SL on the other hand is ONLY the space between the rails, developed in a way that no MMO has. Just by how different the things you can do are, and how different the focus is, I wouldnt consider SL an MMO, and I wouldnt consider World of Warcraft a virtual world.  Do people ***** in both in SL and WoW, probably yes, but I will attribute that single point of contact to People, and not to the plataform.

• Thanks 2

On 1/21/2022 at 1:28 AM, Oct Oyen said:

Ever since Facebook announced it's all in on metaverses, it has been on a hype along the hype of crypto and NFT. As I'm looking at these blockchain based metaverse, it was like time traveling back to SL in 2007. Everything these metaverses are doing now has been done in SL15 years ago, except for the blockchain part. Yet all these metaverse buzz from tech articles have no mention of SL. Is LL missing a golden opportunity?

I think Meta is going to be a massive flop. It's pretty much a joke already among trading circles. It's like SL except without the freedom of expression and tons of advertising. All of your behavior in world will be monitored and the information sold on. I'll stick with SL 😜

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 5:26 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Give the same prudes a whole new world with no adult content (Sansar), do they move over .. nope, because it's boring.

Lol, you hit the nail on the head.  We are supposed to believe the very vocal prudes who buy gorgeously sculpted, anatomically correct mesh bodies and bits are truly offended by mature content, and that they never use those bodies and bits in adult ways from time to time. I know I still like to indulge now and then :).  The louder the prude, the bigger the closeted actual pervert in my experience....

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

So lets have some goals then?
Make an avi for a certain genre, get 10 "formal approvals" from the certain genre crew?
Some type of formal LL recognition thingy associated with your avi, or LL scoreboard.
I seem to remember forum discussions about social rewards before vomit-book came along.
(or when it was just a wee hurl - minus the carrot bitz)
Those were along the lines of social recognition by LL as in community type stuff.
Linden Realms seemed to go ok? Collecting gems or something?
LL sponsored challenges that get you a mesh head/body or something? 
Even the forums had this sort of stuff last iteration.
Bring back LL gifts associated with achievements.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
I never went to Linden Realms. Not sure how it worked.

3 hours ago, Kitten5ylph said:

Lol, you hit the nail on the head.  We are supposed to believe the very vocal prudes who buy gorgeously sculpted, anatomically correct mesh bodies and bits are truly offended by mature content, and that they never use those bodies and bits in adult ways from time to time. I know I still like to indulge now and then :).  The louder the prude, the bigger the closeted actual pervert in my experience....

You did a wonderful job of painting everyone with such a broad brush. I'm no prude or pervert but I'm not in SL for sex and don't even own any "bits". I've never had sex on any platform. For some of us there is no substitute for the real thing. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Parallel things do not cross over each other by definition.  Side by side along the same path.

Yes. But if you have two lines of text running parallel, they could contain the same message or sequence of letters.  Essentially making them the same. Obviously SL is not the same as RL though.

17 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Well, people have gotten married from World of Warcraft too. I find it amusing that there are people who act as if Second Life is the only platform with social interactions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Well, people have gotten married from World of Warcraft too. I find it amusing that there are people who act as if Second Life is the only platform with social interactions.

I said earlier, that I've only ever been on SL. I don't know anything about any other platforms.

Edited by Bagnu

6 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I said earlier, that I've only ever been on SL. I don't know anything about any other platforms.

I understand. But that is what makes it so amusing. Some who only plays SL can be completely oblivious to other games which have had social interactions since forever, lol. Since before SL, actually. Mid 90's or so. I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, I just find it humorous.

Some of the earlier 3D mmorpg's in the 90's had text-based chat. Sorry, I'm a bit of a geek, haha.

• Like 2

Returning to "Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?"...

I think it is ok that we are out of the current hype because, at present, that concerns things like crypto, NFTs, web3, and immersive hardware.... and SL is not about those things. SL self describes as a virtual world where the main objective is FUN... and it's up to the residents to discover what that means for them.

Recent events indicate that the Facebook model of mapping the our RL networks to a virtual "social network", harvesting our observed attributes and preferences, and using that to sell us stuff... is being out competed by the TikTok model of using an algorithm to build an addictive virtual "content network"  that exposes us to influencers who subtly sell us stuff.

The trend is more anonymity, more privacy.

Second Life has the (imho) strength that it only tries to sell us things related to our virtual world and it does not monetize our "data" (I hope). Also, LL appears to be working out (over many years) the nuts and bolts of actually making a virtual world palatable for humans.

Summing up, I think SL is trending towards being more metaversy and less facebooky. Linden Lab does take our credit card info, but I have a feeling that the metaversy places will do that to as crypto appears to be a cash only thing and to scale it up, you need credit. The metaversy places will eventually be derivatives of virtual worlds like SL.

And just for fun....  check out IcelandVerse

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

I understand. But that is what makes it so amusing. Some who only plays SL can be completely oblivious to other games which have had social interactions since forever, lol. Since before SL, actually. Mid 90's or so. I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, I just find it humorous.

Some of the earlier 3D mmorpg's in the 90's had text-based chat. Sorry, I'm a bit of a geek, haha.

My husband's cousin actually met her husband playing Everquest sometime way back then.  She moved to Belgium, married, has 2 children and is living happily ever after.  

@Bagnu, I just find it odd that for some things you say it should be the same as RL.  Like sex needing to be a part of SL.   Yet for others, it's ok to be nothing like RL which is why I'm a bit confused.    But I guess we all see it differently.  I also recall you thinking the forum people were somehow different than people inworld.  That it was ALL one giant RP.  I'm the exact same person RL and SL, inworld and the forums.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Here, Sandor. This is an oldie but a goodie! It's from an old web series, "The Guild," which was a parody of World of Warcraft. Pretty good evidence that sex and relationships have long been happening on other MMOs.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I could have told you that a long time ago, Rowan.

Yep and most people I'm friends with are just like me.  The only thing not RL about me in SL is my avatar being just a tad younger ( HA @ tad) , my incredible wardrobe and the ability to dance for hours in high heels.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yep and most people I'm friends with are just like me.  The only thing not RL about me in SL is my avatar being just a tad younger ( HA @ tad) , my incredible wardrobe and the ability to dance for hours in high heels.

High heels are sooooo overrated in RL.

I mean, sure. They look great, make your legs look sexier, and add height.

But other than that, what use are they?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.