What is it that I can do for them?

Evalemonn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Do we really need animal cruelty to be added to the list of problems that exist in SL? What if the owner of these dogs is doing this on purpose and living out their fantasy of being Cruella De Vil? I guess this story in SL has a sad ending.

Or the owner is ill or passed away.  THAT is sad.  Inanimate objects in SL?  Should we call social services when people leave their mesh babies unattended?  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Evalemonn said:

Thank you for all, being so patient with me. I lost my dog of 18 years this spring, I don't know why but I am felt powerless, very sad now. 

So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog. May the wonderful memories from those 18 years together always bring you warmth and comfort.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Evalemonn said:

Thank you for all, being so patient with me. I lost my dog of 18 years this spring, I don't know why but I am felt powerless, very sad now. 

I'm so sorry about your dog, Evalemonn!

It is, of course, true that these SL animals are not "real," but your feelings about the virtual dogs are testimony to how emotionally powerful and immersive the virtual can be. That's not a bug, as they say: it's a feature. We wouldn't be here, at least most of us, if it didn't so often feel "real." And in that sense, your feelings, which are real even if the animals are not, do you credit: you are obviously a caring and empathetic person.

So, no, there's nothing to be done, or that needs to be done. But don't let others make you feel embarrassed about your sadness -- they too almost certainly feel real emotions here, even if they are not for abandoned virtual animals. I don't hear anyone laughing at others because they feel actually turned on by sexy avatars or virtual sex. There isn't really a difference, is there?

It's ok to feel what you feel, so long as you keep it in perspective. And, as I said, I think it does you credit.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Evalemonn said:

I lost my beloved dog this summer, I empathize! I've actually established a small parcel as a pet memorial/virtual cemetery in Andraca (for RL pets), if you'd be interested in visiting. I made it specifically as a quiet place to go remember my boy and hopefully for others to do the same. It's small, but there's a chapel where you can light a prayer candle and I'm hoping to help others set up memorial spots there eventually :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My 7 years old cat went out last January and never returned so it was either killed by dogs/foxes or hit by cars. I already had the proper environment in my house for pets so i went to the animal shelter and saved one from euthanasia.

• Like 6

@Evalemonn, whenever I am feeling sad about someone I've lost, I go to Angel's Church in Second Life. They have a display of candles on the back wall, and you can make a small donation and light a candle in their memory. It will burn for a day.

Also, instead of feeling too bad about neglected virtual pets, consider donating time, supplies, or money to an animal rescue organization or shelter in your area, or even adopt a pet!

• Like 6

@EvalemonnI am truly sorry for your loss Eva, losing a beloved companion is always a hard and sad event to process.

In my job I see so many animals crossing over the rainbow bridge and I would be lying if I said it does not affect me. I remember every single one of those gentle souls and wish them a happy crossing. I lost a few pets, big and small and I carry every single one of them in my heart.

The animals you saw in SL cannot be helped unfortunately as they are scripted objects without an option for assistance by someone who isn't their owner. Try not to think about it, as sad as it might be.

You are a good person with a kind heart, your dog knew a loving home with you, treasure the lovely memories you two had together 💕❤️🐶

Sending you love and blessings.

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
spelling
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.