My New Toy...

BjorJlen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya all, and good morning to you... :)

I just thought I would make a new post letting you all know about the new toy I just purchased; ok it's not a toy per say, and I am sure lots of people have it, but it is new to me and as I have been playing with it, I would think it is a expensive toy. Anyways, I just bought a NEW TV (my first ever actually), one of the best actually, and I am amazed at it's quality and what it can do. So here is some nice pictures for you to enjoy... 😁

This one is me thinking about what I should watch... 

0f428ee82df8c258983d2b42bfb1a96d.jpg

And this one is deciding I should watch the Lego Batman Movie (to show you all a test of sorts)...

a993eae1ee46e856c26599f71b33fa84.jpg

And last but not least, is me checking out this very website, the Second Life Forums, where I am going to be in a momment POSTING this very thread you now see before you... 😁

896df20fd1bd455ff8a023dd27376da9.jpg

So there you have it folks, my fun little expensive toy/TV. I gotta tell you, I am gonna enjoy this very much as Bjor soaks in his very own hot tub, in his very own private new home. So... dose anyone wanna come over, soak in the hot tub, and watch some movies with me by chance? And NO, I am not asking any guys too come over for a soak (unless your cool :D). lol No, this is especially for all the great beautiful ladies here, who lets face it guys, not only are better then us in SL in some very profound ways, but also look MUCH better in a hot tub as well. Don't believe me? Then why is SL not only populated by more women then men, but also are sought after because of their physical beauty too (though that is a bit superficial I know, because there is a LOT more to them then that lol)? So what do you say ladies? Care for a soak and a movie? I will even change into Towelie if you want, because we all know that after a good hot soak in a tub, your gonna need a nice soft loveable Towelie to dry off with... 😛 

Peace...

(And yes Echelon, you can come over for a soak too, cause your very cool... :D)...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Wish I could right now, but I'm over at my brother's house for the next few hours and none of the devices there allow access into Second Life. Your new television and home and the hot tub all look joyously pleasurable. I'm sure there will be soon a queue forming out of the door.  And, of course, photos photos photos :) 

• Like 1

You should have a media texture in your library in your inventory.. I'm pretty sure that's where I found mine..

I made a penthouse a few years ago and decided to go crazy with it while watching music videos.. hehehe

The reason it looks cut off on the back wall is because that's not a back wall but where my balcony texture would usually go.. So you could see  the full thing if you were on the balcony..

penthouse jams_001

This is looking in from the balcony if I were glued to the media texture.. hehehe

penthouse jams_003

Media texture is a lot of fun to mess around with and try neat things.. hehehe

ETA: Just to add.. It's just a regular media texture and can't do a lot of the things a scripted tv would be able to do.. The TV's are nice with all their channels and things they have on them..:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I looked at TVs a good while back, tried buying some, but they all just didn't work. So I ended up going to the SL wiki and found the article on them, gave it a go, and it didn't work. I then threw the article at a friend and let her tinker around with it a bit, and now we have a working TV in genuine prim-plywood that works like a charm. 

.. And now I'm making her watch a couple of horror films with me. ^_^

• Like 2

I've considered purchasing a TV off the market in the past, simply because of the movies they provide.  The thing that bothers me, is the legalities involved, because I'm not sure if  the videos are pirated.  If the site the creators have setup as the default URL in the object they are selling is ever taken down then you will be left with a TV that no longer works if you can't modify the media in the texture tab or they don't give you other options to browse the web.  I think for XTV you have that option, so you should be okay regardless though and it has been around for a while so I wouldn't worry too much about it vanishing.  Plus it seems to have a ton of options to make everything convenient.

For those on a budget, and just want a typical web browser it is easy to create one.  

You can also find some services to stream your desktop from your computer, so that you can watch your favorite movies from inside of SL.  I find it to be slow at times though.  Thankfully, youtube and pluto both work in shared media now, whatever legalities SL had with the codecs being used seems to have been solved now.  

At one point, I was tired of not having tabs, because I love using tabs in browsers so I scripted a TV with ten screens that would default behind the main viewing screen, a separate button would bring up a dialogue box allowing me to change screens, it was pretty fun but due to my sloppy scripting skills a bit laggy.  I also considered adding bookmarks, but apparently you can't save to notecards via the object you are using.  I suppose I could create a website that did that for me, but meh.. too much work.  

Anyway, I love sitting back in my virtual house, and streaming a few videos while watching it from my laptop.  It adds a certain element to it all that I find appealing - it was really fun when I did so with a set of VR goggles.

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies & responses folks. :) I was a tiny bit concerned that this might be a dead end issue for most of you because TV's in SL are quite available to everyone. Sorta like, "Yeah so what? It's a TV, no big deal. Got 9 of them myself, and they are ALL bigger then yours! So Meh!" lol 😋 So thank you...

@VaelFaye, yes... yes Hot Tubs are the best... 😁

Hey @BinBash, you can come sure, but first I am going to need three letters of recommendations from people here on the forums whom I respect and admire to vouch for you, plus a notarized letter from the vet stating your not contagious or anything, AND a memo stating that the Lilly Pad you wanna bring is fresh and clean as well. Of course you can scratch all of that if you bring Kermit the Frog too, because hey... it's Kermit... and he's always cool... lol 😋

Marigold, it's all good. :) As your very cool, you can IM me anytime for a vist; I would love to have you over. But no, me doubts there is gonna be a queue out the door much less anything. lol And as far as Pic's goes, I don't know about that... me thinks I would need someone else who is FAR better at photography then me to take some great pictures and post them here. Cause mine are only so so...

Ceka, now that looks very, very cool. :) As I am still on a big re-learning curve here in SL, I have no idea how to do any of that stuff, but it looks awesome (thank you for sharing)! 👍

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

I looked at TVs a good while back, tried buying some, but they all just didn't work. So I ended up going to the SL wiki and found the article on them, gave it a go, and it didn't work. I then threw the article at a friend and let her tinker around with it a bit, and now we have a working TV in genuine prim-plywood that works like a charm. 

.. And now I'm making her watch a couple of horror films with me. ^_^

I feel ya Orwar. I have a second TV that I bought before the XTV, and while it works ok, it was a pain for me to set up and run. And every time I use it, I "might" have to go threw some of that again, I don't know. I'm thinking about putting it in my house on ground level, but as that isn't even furnished yet I wouldn't even know where to put it. lol Ohhh, and yes my TV has a TON of horror movies installed in it, so I can watch them as well (wish I had this during Halloween lol); nice idea!

@Istelathis, thank you very much for that link. I have saved it and will read it once I have some free time to do so. The only issue I have found so far with the XTV though, is that when I signed into these forums, my good friend Echelon (who was with me at the time) couldn't see that I was logged in. Instead he only got as far as the sign in screen, and from that point onward we saw two different screens. Otherwise everything else would link up between us just fine. I have no idea what the issue is/was, but I certainly would love to know and fix it somehow (If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as this a bit annoying, thank you).

In either case, thanks again everyone for the positive responces, and I can't wait to hear more about your experiances with TV's in general, how they run/work, and what you can do with them... including Hot Tubs as well. Because they ARE very cool... well, ummm... actually they are hot, but... ok you get my point so I think I will quit now while (I think ) I am ahead. lol

Peace...

18 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

@Istelathis, thank you very much for that link. I have saved it and will read it once I have some free time to do so. The only issue I have found so far with the XTV though, is that when I signed into these forums, my good friend Echelon (who was with me at the time) couldn't see that I was logged in. Instead he only got as far as the sign in screen, and from that point onward we saw two different screens. Otherwise everything else would link up between us just fine. I have no idea what the issue is/was, but I certainly would love to know and fix it somehow (If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as this a bit annoying, thank you).

You're welcome.  With shared media, the instance of the web is unique to each user - it occurs on your computer and not in second life.  When you and a friend turn on the TV, you will both start at the URL designated for that TV, but all sign ins will have to be completed by each person.   If you were to browse the web, the other people would still be stuck at the starting URL.  If you want to watch a movie together, you would both need to open the link at the same time, and play the video, or else there will be a delay between the two of you.  Sharing your screen on your computer can overcome this, because it is being streamed much like zoom is, but it has its own problems depending on how fast your internet connection is.  I'm not sure if XTV does something differently though, perhaps it is scripted to update the web address for each person as you navigate.

With parcel media though, I believe you can all watch the TV at the same time, so long as everyone has it enabled.  That requires you to have a parcel of your own, then you can set it up in the land settings.  

Edit:
Sorry, I just tried with an alt and the shared media did switch over to another URL when I navigated to it with my main.  I did not know it did that, the person using your TV would still need to log in if it is required.   I also noticed, that while browsing youtube on my main, it would update to youtube on my alt - but any video I clicked to play on would not update for my alt, instead I would be left at youtube's landing page.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

Again, thanks for the helpful link Iselathis. But I think XTV does things a little bit different, besides the sign in process. Because while that seemed to work as you mentioned, everything else Echelon and I viewed was in perfect sync, including surfing the web. Ohhh, and fyi... the TV didn't need to be set up at all in any way to use, nor did I have to set anything up media wise in the SL (or Firestorm) preferences. It came ready to use right out of the box, including surfing the web. I don't know how that was done, but with someone like me who needs things to be simple, it was the perfect TV for me. Please check it out if you (or anyone) has the chance. It is 3K, but I can attest it is worth it, but there is always other research one can do on it too I suppose. :)

Peace...

• Like 1

@BjorJlenI was going to get one and then I saw it's no copy and no redelivery on the MP. Did you buy yours from the MP or inworld and if inworld did you notice if there was a redelivery terminal? Bad enough it's no copy but with no redelivery on top of that, no sale. There is no need for customers to have to convince a creator they did purchase the product when redeliveries have been available for years.

No copy? No sale.

No redelivery? You just lost a customer and a sale.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

42 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

@BjorJlenI was going to get one and then I saw it's no copy and no redelivery on the MP. Did you buy yours from the MP or inworld and if inworld did you notice if there was a redelivery terminal? Bad enough it's no copy but with no redelivery on top of that, no sale. There is no need for customers to have to convince a creator they did purchase the product when redeliveries have been available for years.

No copy? No sale.

No redelivery? You just lost a customer and a sale.

Hi Silent... :) Yeah I went to the store in world so I could see the TV live and in person and try it out. But no, I did not see any redelivery terminal there (I just went there and reconfirmed it). And I totally agree with you about that aspect of the TV, but I can understand the no-copy part from a straight buisness standpoint. There is a reason it is the best TV in SL atm, but the creator say's to just contact him for any issues or questions about it just the same. And from I understand, he is still in game, still active, still updating the TV, and will answer anyone who contacts him. So yeah...

Peace...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Tiny point ... watching pirate TV on a prim in SL is no different from watching it in your desktop web browser, just so you know.

pirates-of-the-caribbean-running-away.gi

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, BjorJlen said:

This one is me thinking about what I should watch...    And this one is deciding I should watch the Lego Batman Movie (to show you all a test of sorts)...

So... you are watching pirated movies with your SLTV..

liam-neeson-i-will-find-you.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Or movies, in any life.

We can't be friends anymore.

.. Wait, lemme toss you a friend request so I can bop you off my contact list. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

What if we only like movies with dutch angles?

Then we can all go to my place and watch The Cabinet of Dr Caligari!  

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.