New 360 snapshot in town thank you Linden Lab team & Callum

Drakeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it is a wonderful thing this 360 snaphot. The whole concept of capturing  the screen in this manner unlocks  many more innovated things to come.

I think in the future love to see bubble messages overlay onto it to make  virtual world comics on the fly.

And better yet 360  30 FPS videos. 

I have incorporated it into  my build of LL viewer.  Not  for use yet. I have merged it into my little Penguin Mesh project viewer for testing.

Any one knows me they will  know where to download it on the bitbucket.

I see great things in the future for this.

https://youtu.be/MUPw59xwLYU

360.png

360-home2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I must be a old fogey because for the life of me I do not see the point of 360 degree pictures.

It is a way to do a pan and super wide picture like looking at a map of the world.  Unrolling a globe.

So on close up shots  you can still capture everyone or things around you.

Look at a 512  meter photo and how far you have to back away from it to capture it all.

This does it much closer.  Then unrolls it.

I felt the same way at first then started playing with it  you can create some wonderful art.

Life is 256X256 pixel smiles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I must be a old fogey because for the life of me I do not see the point of 360 degree pictures.

The don't make much sense when posted flat as they are in this thread.

When used to texture the inside of a sphere such as on flickr or inworld, they can be used to create a sense of being in the location.

(not my image)

Click to open on flickr in 360

Takeuti 360°# 2

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I'm not seeing the latest 360 snapshot viewer on the release notes page. The one there now is 2 years old.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer.html

https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer/src/DRTVWR-534/

it used to be private viewer but now it is part of the viewer. Callum let us know in opensource-dev it is a google group that took over the old one.

Callum Linden

Aug 30, 2021, 2:17:41 PM (yesterday)

It's (now) just another branch off of the canonical Viewer repository here: https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer/src/DRTVWR-534/ so should be accessible?

Does anybody know if other viewers will adopt the 360-degree snapshot capability? I presume that depends on whether it will be merged into the Lab's main viewer branch, as opposed to being stranded on a project viewer as it was for years, so do we know if that's the plan?

The reason it matters is that other viewers offer Derender functionality that is absent from the Linden viewer (or, at least, I sure can't find it). That poses a real problem when trying to use the 360 viewer on Mainland where there's a lot of kruft floating overhead. That stuff is rarely visible with typical Mainland draw depth, but a much deeper than usual setting produces better, more complete 360-degree images. I'd sure like to hide some of that mid-depth stuff from my Mainland 360s.

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Does anybody know if other viewers will adopt the 360-degree snapshot capability? I presume that depends on whether it will be merged into the Lab's main viewer branch, as opposed to being stranded on a project viewer as it was for years, so do we know if that's the plan?

The reason it matters is that other viewers offer Derender functionality that is absent from the Linden viewer (or, at least, I sure can't find it). That poses a real problem when trying to use the 360 viewer on Mainland where there's a lot of kruft floating overhead. That stuff is rarely visible with typical Mainland draw depth, but a much deeper than usual setting produces better, more complete 360-degree images. I'd sure like to hide some of that mid-depth stuff from my Mainland 360s.

Dear Second Life Viewer.  Please let me use a 400 meter draw distance with an option to not draw things more than 120 meters above my altitude.

32 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Dear Second Life Viewer.  Please let me use a 400 meter draw distance with an option to not draw things more than 120 meters above my altitude.

Yeah, but I'd take it further: Please let me decide what other parcel contents to draw while anyone's cam is on my parcel. I'm fine with the neighbour's fetish for hemorrhaging hippo hovercraft when viewed in the context of their very special parcel, but not so much on mine. Visitors may turn off my parcel-specific content curation, but give us a chance or give up on Mainland.

(Meanwhile, though, may I please have a viewer that lets me hide one particular bleeding artiodactyla blimp whilst creating a 360 snapshot?)

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, but I'd take it further: Please let me decide what other parcel contents to draw while anyone's cam is on my parcel. I'm fine with the neighbour's fetish for hemorrhaging hippo hovercraft when viewed in the context of their very special parcel, but not so much on mine. Visitors may turn off my parcel-specific content curation, but give us a chance or give up on Mainland.

(Meanwhile, though, may I please have a viewer that lets me hide one particular bleeding artiodactyla blimp whilst creating a 360 snapshot?)

Blocking whole parcels of hooliganism sounds like a good idea after you described some of what you are dealing with.

6 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Blocking whole parcels of hooliganism sounds like a good idea after you described some of what you are dealing with.

*blush* Well, I may have "elaborated" some.

For the nonce, though, I'm still wanting to hide some specific stuff on those 360 images as TPVs do with Derender. It occurred to me, though, that the whole 360 object rendering process might be different enough that Derender can't exclude what gets into those images. So that's another conditional hurdle, the list now standing at:

• Does the Lab intend to merge 360 code into the main viewer branch?
  • Will TPVs have that 360 code (either inherited from the main branch or on their own separate 360 branch)?
  • Will Derender functionality work on 360 code in anybody's viewer?

(Incidentally, ya know that glitch that happens sometimes where some random link of an object just doesn't show up? until, maybe, after you select the object of which it's a link? Not surprisingly, perhaps, that also occurs in some 360 images, of which I happen to have photographic evidence.)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SLIM Barrowstone said:

i just took a look at the 360 viewer its ok but im just so use to firestorm

I asked at the most recent Concierge & Land user group and was told that the 360 code will be rolled-up into the mainline viewer source, so undoubtedly Firestorm (and all TPVs) will eventually pick it up in a future release. That's in contrast to the Lab's previous 360 viewer that remained on a "project" branch.

There's nothing especially great about the current 360 viewer other than that 360 imaging ability, so personally I only use it specifically for that purpose, and that's with graphics settings for high image quality at the expense of framerate (extra draw depth, ultra everything, even tweaked-up RenderVolumeLODFactor), but I guess that all fits in a "graphics preset", not needing a separate viewer installation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really see the point in this viewer. I guess I care more about performance improvement viewers. I like Simplified Cache Viewer, Legacy Profile Viewer and the New Performance Improvement Viewer and would like to see them viewers put ahead of this

Edited by Chris Rowley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.