Can we have a political sub forum?

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Please just no. 

However if LL did create that, I'd subscribe to the forum overall just to get in the "First post before the lock!" cause you know that would inevitably be the end of most of the arguments discussions.

We can barely keep civil at times discussing gachas, modesty, and who makes the best hair for female avatars ... I'd rather we didn't bring politics into the forums. 

...but its here already.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

They're only moderated when someone reports it.

This. This right here explains so much. lol Somebody plays crybaby and the mods step in. lol What a bloody joke. lol That's hilarious. lol I used to wonder about the way the forums are ran and how some people get in trouble while others go unchecked. Now it makes perfect sense. Total clarification now. Thanks mate.👍😎

1 minute ago, Velk Kerang said:

This. This right here explains so much. lol Somebody plays crybaby and the mods step in. lol What a bloody joke. lol That's hilarious. lol I used to wonder about the way the forums are ran and how some people get in trouble while others go unchecked. Now it makes perfect sense. Total clarification now. Thanks mate.👍😎

You didn’t know that? I thought it was pretty well known…I think it makes them feel powerful that they can do it, be the secret arbiter, but anyone can do it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

You didn’t know that? I thought it was pretty well known…I think it makes them feel powerful that they can do it, be the secret arbiter, but anyone can do it.

Ya I literally did not know that. lol Reporting somebody has just never been a thought in my head. I'm not trying to get people in trouble. That explains a lot though. Ya a lot of thing just became a whole lot clearer now. lol I am so totally fighting back the urge for some jokes right now. lol That's all I am really going to publicly say on that. So I think I am just going to end it off on one sincerely big THANK YOU!!!!👍😁😉😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

1 minute ago, Velk Kerang said:

Ya I literally did not know that. lol Reporting somebody has just never been a thought in my head. I'm not trying to get people in trouble. That explains a lot though. Ya a lot of thing just became a whole lot clearer now. lol I am so totally fighting back the urge for some jokes right now. lol That's all I am really going to publicly say on that. So I think I am just going to end it off on one big THANK YOU!!!!👍😁😉😎

You’re welcome. There’s really not much you can do but laugh at it.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Ya I literally did not know that. lol Reporting somebody has just never been a thought in my head. I'm not trying to get people in trouble. That explains a lot though. Ya a lot of thing just became a whole lot clearer now. lol I am so totally fighting back the urge for some jokes right now. lol That's all I am really going to publicly say on that. So I think I am just going to end it off on one sincerely big THANK YOU!!!!👍😁😉😎

GASP! A report button is literally on every forum out there and you had no clue you could report posts? Come on now....

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:13 AM, Janet Voxel said:

The genie is out of the bottle. Political threads are going to keep popping up in general.. Locking threads is only going to lead to more saltiness, micro aggressions and little passive aggressive jabs. Wouldn’t it just be better to have them contained in one place that you can choose not to view if you don’t want to? Even better why not make it something you can opt into? That way, you won’t even see the sub forum unless you really wanted to.

I agree! I think this is a good idea. I was a bit peeved that Seicher's COVID vent thread got locked because of political fighting...if there had been a separate political thread, that could have all gone on there, and we wouldn't have had to look at rubbish Bill Gates vaccine cartoons 9_9

In return, we won't spam the political sub forum with cat pics xD

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

GASP! A report button is literally on every forum out there and you had no clue you could report posts? Come on now....

I know, right? I'm 719 posts in. I should be ashamed. lol I just never had a reason to click up there before. I forgot it was even there. lol There are only two options which is report and share. I literally do neither of those things. lol😎

On 8/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, Janet Voxel said:

The genie is out of the bottle. Political threads are going to keep popping up in general.. Locking threads is only going to lead to more saltiness, micro aggressions and little passive aggressive jabs. Wouldn’t it just be better to have them contained in one place that you can choose not to view if you don’t want to? Even better why not make it something you can opt into? That way, you won’t even see the sub forum unless you really wanted to.

On the original topic. Sorry I got sidetracked on the new information I learned. lol I actually think what Janet proposed is a very good idea only for the simple fact these topics pop up anyway. Every time I turn around I see one. If it's something you opt. in to then your not going to see it anyway so it really shouldn't be no big deal. If it's added I definitely think the report button should be disabled in that section knowing what I know now otherwise sooner or later everybody is going to be in trouble. lol Especially me. Lmao!!!!👍😁😂🤣😜😎👍

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Yep, it's all fun and games till someone starts trolling you in-world saying nasty things to you for what you put on the forum. Can you imagine if people were allowed to go all high karate on the topic. Just say NO.

Never had that happen before. If I did I'd just mute them and go back to my movies. lol That actually happened to you or something? If it did then you must have really gotten under their skin and I need to know your secrete. lol😁

11 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

How about the "popcorn subforum". Those who don't want to participate can sit back and watch the fun, then rate the thread on a scale of 1-10 for entertainment value once it's finally locked. 😇

I like where your heads at. lol👍

1-strike Godwin : "Ich mache keine Politik mehr. Es widert mich so an."  - Adolf Hitler .... :|

.. but seriously .. eventhough you think there' s enough room for it .. no gunpowderbarrel storage in the galley, please .. ;)

ETA : For instance, I could immediately make this thread political by summoning 2 names, 1 reference in WW2 and a thread locked and evaporated since (called for by many posters including myself early on in the thread ) . You were there too.

Edited by TDD123
Elaboration

It could work if people stuck to the forum rules and guidelines. But we all know people will not. 

In most cases, it's not really about discussion or dialogue. But about people signaling which tribe they belong to - and it's become so rooted in their sense of self that of course they feel attacked by others who dare to disagree with the Truth™

So....on the one hand, while it could be fun to watch that dumpster fire, it will get old very fast. 

A Formula 1 forum should discuss the aspects of racing.
A Bakery forum should discuss the ins and outs of baking.
Etc.

So obviously a Second Life forum should discuss the ins and outs of Second Life.
IMHO there is no reason to discuss politics here just because we all have a second life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

A Formula 1 forum should discuss the aspects of racing.
A Bakery forum should discuss the ins and outs of baking.
Etc.

So obviously a Second Life forum should discuss the ins and outs of Second Life.
IMHO there is no reason to discuss politics here just because we all have a second life.

Second Life is a platform...a means for communication -- it's not just a game. Sure, we can log in and do game-like things -- create to our hearts desire, decorate our homes, hump away, or roleplay just about anything -- but SL is also a medium for communication about RL. There are no limits inworld, and likewise a forum for that medium should not limit discussions to roleplay, humping, and creating with prims and mesh.

One only has to input just about any RL group or issue in Search to discover people meeting to discuss and deal with various RL issues. I logged in today to an advertisement for an event related to survivors of suicide by family members and friends. And there are relays for life to raise funds for cancer research. All types of mental and emotional challenges (for example, with dissociative disorders and alcoholism) are represented here. Loads of groups dealing with spirituality as well as politics. Black Lives Matter and other racial issues. LGBTQI groups. RL schools are here that educate students. The list goes on.
I have yet to discover some issue that does not have a presence here although I'm sure some must exist.

Second Life is a medium for communication about anything. There are no limits, and likewise a forum for that medium should reflect this reality.

I'm not advocating for a separate thread dealing with politics as I can't say for sure this would be a good thing...just pointing out the reality of what SL actually is.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.