Site that tracks SL Surnames.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Registration limits per last name

Up until sometime in 2006, when 150 new members chose the same last name, the name was permanently retired from the list, (although there was a lot of discussion between residents and Linden Lab to change this policy for certain names). This limit is based upon a social theory presented in The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by journalist Malcolm Gladwell. According to Gladwell, 150 is the maximum number of people a person can remember and remain familiar with.

From some unspecified point in 2006, this was changed. Names are cycled manually by Linden Staffers who aim for an average of about 1000 first names per last name. Some popular last names may get many more registrants before they can be changed over. This policy change was not discovered until 30 November 2006.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Avatar_Last_Names

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Many years ago, I hears that the most popular surname is ending on ......girl?

I don't remember the whole name or why.

It was gossipgirl. Because for some reason, Secondlife used to advertise on a US show called GossipGirl (it was a good show). If you signed up through that site, you got Gossipgirl as a last name. I think the other name you got from the site was SecretSpy. My very first Avatar had the last name Secretspy.

It shows if they partner with the right company and advertise, people will come.

SL, why you so spoopy. I just have this intuition that a name is important. I'm still aglow, so happy to have finally corrected my name last year to one that actually resonated within. I've got to correct my first life name still, but I can only imagine I will be over the moon once I can. As usual, it makes me feel a certain something... there's always this sense that folks just quietly disappear when they move on from this experience, like, it gets under my skin after a decade and change of this because I want to disappear with them, surely wherever they went is better or they would have stayed, but they never say anything and it drives me bonkers to not know anything and to be isolated from everyone I cared about and still not know why things are they way they are. I hope they've been chasing their dreams to the odd ends of the multiverses and I am just one step behind, I promise.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

On 6/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

slnamewatch.com --- but the last time I tried to access it, it wasn't working.

Part of it works- but looks like they removed the stats in November- edit: oops, no that’s November 2010.  Anyways, yea it no worky.

7EBAFB5F-3B67-4181-90F5-893775263B46.png

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.