super slow loading/grey textures recently

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering has something changed lately as I have noticed textures taking forever to load on both busy or empty sims, I mean, a lot longer than "normal"  I haven't seen sims full of grey for a long, long time. Before I do a clean install of FS and other trouble shooting of my system just wanna know if others have noticed this as well

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz (3792 MHz)
Memory: 32672 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042.1055)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 8192 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.21.14.6259
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 462.59

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.0.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.08
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202007261348
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1027 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 208 m
Bandwidth: 2950 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2.25
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: Dynamic (3872 MB min / 26% Cache / 27% VRAM)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2021-5-6T23:48:40 
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 221/208,349 (0.1%)
June 22 2021 05:54:30 SLT

Edited by Jackson Redstar

It's happened to me a couple of times in the last few weeks. I just chalk it up to someone doing something on the backend somewhere. It usually lasts for a about a day, then things rez at a much faster rate again. Overall, my experience has been pretty good as far as rezzing goes, but SL has it's days where I'll just log off and watch TV.

I have spent lots dollars and over one year trying to move into my premium home. I attach what the scene is like when I get there.

Very disappointing.  I am keen to spend an accumulation of L$30000 but nothing works like it used to. :(

lost all my gear, clothes, planes and loads of other stuff.  However I like SL and hope someone can help me sort out this very depressing scene.

SL Snapshot Coberes 2_001.jpg

@Indy Melody  Just a heads up.  Any of the relatively recent NVidia drivers will make little or no difference to speed of rezzing of SL content.  I especially suggest you avoid the last three or four "Game Ready" drivers from NVidia because they seem, from the number of adverse comments on the NVidia forums, to be badly bugged.

I've been noticing problems with other websites that use AWS (just like SL uses) lately, including sites just flat out not loading. A few days ago honda.com wouldn't even load for me, the connection was getting lost in AWS. It's fixed now though. I don't know what's been going on but the entire internet has been acting oddly for me for the last few weeks. Not trying to defend SL, usually this time of year is lower traffic because of the weather and things run smoother than normal. My sales (and a friend's) have been well below average for this time of year as well, I think it has a lot to do with people having slow loading textures on demo items when they rez and them just losing interest and moving on. I would have thought things would be going well with a large portion of SL's users being in the USA and most of USA opening back up after lockdowns, with people rushing to go outside. Basically less users on the internet and SL should mean less problems like this. But it's clearly not happening.

I've been having problems with other websites as well as SL lately. I have no idea what's going on but I think it's larger than SL.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, Flea Yatsenko said:

I don't know what's been going on but the entire internet has been acting oddly for me for the last few weeks. ... I've been having problems with other websites as well as SL lately. I have no idea what's going on but I think it's larger than SL.

Seconded. I use google news and it used to result instantly now i watch a blue bar whizzing across sometimes up to 4 or 5 secs before results appear. 

Edited by rasterscan

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Wondergirl216 said:

That happened to me as well. Some of my clothes turn into grey texture, even though I re-buy them on mp. Can someone please help me out ?

You do never need to rebuy them!! T^T omg do not do this, poor you! Its totally normal that sometimes textures need to load again and things turn grey. Really rare sometimes, clothes are grey out of the box and you NEVER saw the the real texture loading in this case it would be possible that the creator accidentally used a temporary texture for testing and forgot to switch it for the real texture in the final product! In this case I would just simply tell the creator, the few times that I had to do this, they were really happy that someone told them. But I am afraid it is just SL being SL at the moment, loading times are really weid lately often times @_@

Windows has been having problems with performance over the last 6 to 10 weeks. A recent update has apparently added molasses to the OS. No one seems to know which update it was or which one to role back. 🤔

There are a few things one can do to reduce the windows system lag.

First restart the computer and notice if you have the option to restart and update. If you have that option, select it. Also, run Windows' Check for updates. I haven't installed the 21H1 update. But everything else should be installed. You'll have to make your own call on 21H1.

The next simple one is to open the CMD window run it as Admin. Run the command SFC /SCANNOW. This takes some time. Be patient. If it reports problems it cannot fix you'll need to search the Internet for your next steps and find a walk-through with images. Also make sure it is a recent posting. Stuff has moved around in Windows. So the 'go here and click...'  instructions are often out of date. Frustrating.

There are some other issues with the Internet. We seem to be in a cyber war with Russia, China, and Iran. While that is debatable we have lots of reports of companies being hacked. So... who knows? Internet traffic is increasing as we stream more in the post-pandemic age. Are we overloading? Some think so. Others think Microsoft is slowing Win10 because Win11 is coming soon and the thinking is this is how they push people into Win11.

There is no solid evidence for any of those possibilities. But there are lots of complaints about poor Internet and computer performance. It seems something is up... or we've just run out of patience.

I don't think it's Windows-specific. I'm seeing slowdowns on my Linux machines , my Windows 10 laptop, the pi400; things like googlemail take much longer to finishing waiting for the hangers-on to finish loading before giving you full access to your mailbox, several forums I frequent are noticeably slower to load (most of them are using CloudFlare? as a DDOS protection which might be a actor), and the grey textures problem in SecondLife seems more prevalent on weekends, when I suppose the demand for traffic soars. Broadband speed-checkers show no drop in speed so the problem isn't a local one.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.