how to know who hit you in sl?

rose9991sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, rose9991sl said:

I saw this bumper who hit then they tell who hit who> Which bumper give warning?

There used to be a way to see who bumped or hit you in the Help menu on the viewer.  I don't know when they removed it but it seems like it would just create drama.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There used to be a way to see who bumped or hit you in the Help menu on the viewer.  I don't know when they removed it but it seems like it would just create drama.  

yea, that's the one, the help menu.. They still have it in the second life official viewer.  I just jumped in to give a look..

It's Bumps,pushes and hits..

I thought it only worked for like griefer stuff.. I didn't think it worked for just regular things like someone bumping into you.. I never looked then but always did when someone would hit me with a griefer tool.. That way I knew who to go and open the can-0- whoopass on..hehehe

ETA: I just checked the firestorm one and it's in there also.. It brings back so many fun memories of my old days of not tolerating stuff for a heartbeat..

*Ceka Day Dreaming of yesteryear*

Ceka: Hey Mr Man, Did you just hit me with something?

Mr Man: Yea, whatchu gonna do about it?

Ceka: Stay right there.

6749028277_e6e55f151a_b.jpg

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

yea, that's the one, the help menu.. They still have it in the second life official viewer.  I just jumped in to give a look..

It's Bumps,pushes and hits..

I thought it only worked for like griefer stuff.. I didn't think it worked for just regular things like someone bumping into you.. I never looked then but always did when someone would hit me with a griefer tool.. That way I knew who to go and open the can-0- whoopass on..hehehe

ETA: I just checked the firestorm one and it's in there also.. It brings back so many fun memories of my old days of not tolerating stuff for a heartbeat..

*Ceka Day Dreaming of yesteryear*

Ceka: Hey Mr Man, Did you just hit me with something?

Mr Man: Yea, whatchu gonna do about it?

Ceka: Stay right there.

6749028277_e6e55f151a_b.jpg

hehehe

Thanks.  I hadn't checked for it in ages.  I don't much worry about people running into me.  Unless it's obviously on purpose and on going.  Then, I'd just turn on movelock and ignore them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Thanks.  I hadn't checked for it in ages.  I don't much worry about people running into me.  Unless it's obviously on purpose and on going.  Then, I'd just turn on movelock and ignore them.  

I hadn't even thought about it for years until seeing this thread, then just had to go and see..

Then kinda decided to be goofy as well... hehehe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

it takes forever to rezz in some places so yeah, you get bumped.  It can't

Brushed it off for a very long time. I think I got trained to not care, after years of rez-delays and all the other avis - and me - cannot see anyone yet but some of us (and sometimes me) can still walk... I think bumping is unavoidable.  No foul.  Fun to know its in Firestorm tho!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

Brushed it off for a very long time. I think I got trained to not care, after years of rez-delays and all the other avis - and me - cannot see anyone yet but some of us (and sometimes me) can still walk... I think bumping is unavoidable.  No foul.  Fun to know its in Firestorm tho!

Agreed, it's not worth getting upset over.  On the other hand, if you stand around at the landing spot or in the doorway of a club,  I WILL run you over.  I may not be able to see your avatar but I can see your name tag and see you on the minimap.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

can see your name tag and see you on the minimap.  

I forgot we could use that!  I used to type an apology disclaimer in nearby before I hit that key...  but after awhile I thought it would be more neighborly just to move my buns out of the way already lol

2 hours ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

but truly, do people care about being virtually bumped?

It is considered a bit rude, but it depends on context and company. If you're at an event or standing at the landing point or entrance of a busy club, it's generally unavoidable - especially since people tend to try to move out of the way to avoid being bumped themselves, and bump into others doing so before they can see them, or worse, get shoved aside by a landing point pusher.

If you're charging around a store or venue pushing people about, or ploughing your path onto the dance floor, that may well upset people a bit.

Second Life certainly has a social convention of sorts, wherein pushing other people is addressed (seeing as both region settings, avatar position locks, and there being bumpers on the market, it's something that there are people who find important), but as with any other part of that convention, it's by no means indisputable. To intentionally push people around is largely regarded as a form of griefing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

I used to type an apology disclaimer in nearby before I hit that key...  but after awhile I thought it would be more neighborly just to move my buns out of the way already lol

You could have a HUD that told you about detected collisions with other avatars.

This may not be totally reliable. My NPCs do detect collisions with avatars. They  say "Excuse me", stop, and then take a path around the avatar. Detection isn't perfect, though. They will sometimes sideswipe an avatar, push the avatar a bit as they brush past, and not detect a collision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Agreed, it's not worth getting upset over.  On the other hand, if you stand around at the landing spot or in the doorway of a club,  I WILL run you over.  I may not be able to see your avatar but I can see your name tag and see you on the minimap.  

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

If you're charging around a store or venue pushing people about, or ploughing your path onto the dance floor, that may well upset people a bit.

5afe8813a5970eec24431b00a05f5559.png

• Haha 4

Popular teleport destinations should have one of those platforms that moves you slightly off the landing point in a random direction.

There's an anti-pattern to that. I know one place which sends you two notecards and a landmark immediately on arrival. By the time you've dealt with all the popups, someone has landed on top of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Popular teleport destinations should have one of those platforms that moves you slightly off the landing point in a random direction.

Disagreed. It may be a pet peeve of mine, but if a venue owner takes the liberty to shove me around before I've rendered their poorly optimised carp, I'm likely to just Ctrl + Shift + H and not return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.