Current List of Annoyances

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is a game to some and not a game to others. 

Trying to convince folks otherwise is futile.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a word in the English language: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/game

"an entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity"

SL certainly fits that bill.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

11. I'll try that.  So it'll keep my midday choice forever?

12. How did you get the camera to behave like that?  Mine does not move forwards of its own accord.

suggest that you login with the Linden viewer to confirm the answers given

3 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Doesn't help with 12. How did you get the camera to behave like that?  Mine does not move forwards of its own accord.

you will need to show what is happening to you, like make a short video. As the camera behaviour described is the default behaviour of the Linden viewer. Walk into a physical wall then rotate your avatar so it is facing away from the wall. The avatar camera will move forward to above the avatars head

without your showing what is happening on your screen when standing against the wall then is difficult to determine why your install of the Linden viewer is behaving differently to the default behaviour

All the games you listed have objectives, scores, incentives and such.  Explain what the objective or goal is in SL.  How does one score points?  How does one win?  

Although entertainment is also an word used for games, it's also used for movies, tv, bird watching, none of which are classified as games.  Your.description of game does not fit the parameters of SL.  Just a fact but call it what you'd like.  As you said, your opinion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

you will need to show what is happening to you, like make a short video. As the camera behaviour described is the default behaviour of the Linden viewer. Walk into a physical wall then rotate your avatar so it is facing away from the wall. The avatar camera will move forward to above the avatars head

without your showing what is happening on your screen when standing against the wall then is difficult to determine why your install of the Linden viewer is behaving differently to the default behaviour

Depends what view you have.  I like the position the camera a little way behind the avatar, imagine you're following the Avatar about 5 metres behind.

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

All the games you listed have objectives, scores, incentives and such.  Explain what the objective or goal is in SL.  How does one score points?  How does one win?  

Although entertainment is also an word used for games, it's also used for movies, tv, bird watching, none of which are classified as games.  Your.description of game does not fit the parameters of SL.  Just a fact but call it what you'd like.  As you said, your opinion.

There doesn't have to be an objective.  There are plenty games, computer and not, which do not have scores or an objective.  It's just fun.  Consider the game of catch.  You don't have to keep score.  You could say catching the ball makes you feel good, but so does creating a house in SL, or interacting with things.  Game is a word in the English dictionary, I'm going by that.  It's not an opinion, but a fact.

1 minute ago, sunnyrio said:

Depends what view you have.  I like the position the camera a little way behind the avatar, imagine you're following the Avatar about 5 metres behind.

There doesn't have to be an objective.  There are plenty games, computer and not, which do not have scores or an objective.  It's just fun.  Consider the game of catch.  You don't have to keep score.  You could say catching the ball makes you feel good, but so does creating a house in SL, or interacting with things.  Game is a word in the English dictionary, I'm going by that.  It's not an opinion, but a fact.

I don't consider catch a game but an activity, like knitting or reading.  Creating a house in SL is an activity also.  Greedy is a game you do play inside of SL.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I don't consider catch a game but an activity, like knitting or reading.  Creating a house in SL is an activity also.  Greedy is a game you do play inside of SL.  

Hmmm, a previous poster said a game must have a goal.  Knitting has a goal - completing the garment.  So we can discount goal as a game requirement.

Anyway catch is obviously a game, ask any child.  Clearly one could be better than the other and be declared a winner.

26 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Depends what view you have.  I like the position the camera a little way behind the avatar, imagine you're following the Avatar about 5 metres behind

with a custom camera preset then to have the camera move as it does for the default setting then best to file a JIRA asking for this

2 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Hmmm, a previous poster said a game must have a goal.  Knitting has a goal - completing the garment.  So we can discount goal as a game requirement.

Anyway catch is obviously a game, ask any child.  Clearly one could be better than the other and be declared a winner.

And as I said, you have your opinion and I have mine, which is shared by many people in SL.  Game on, sunnyrio and enjoy. (Or not, it seems)

11 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

with a custom camera preset then to have the camera move as it does for the default setting then best to file a JIRA asking for this

Selecting the third standard camera (behind), walk into a wall, then rotate the camera.  The camera goes the other side of the wall.  Custom isn't the problem.

5 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

And as I said, you have your opinion and I have mine, which is shared by many people in SL.  Game on, sunnyrio and enjoy. (Or not, it seems)

I have the the same opinion as the Oxford English dictionary.  You're not arguing about Second Life with me, you're trying to argue against an entire language.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a word in the English language: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/game

"an entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity"

Reading is "an entertaining activity", but isn't a game.  Doing crossword puzzles or putting together picture puzzles - both entertaining activities, but not games.  

Thus, "entertaining activity" is not enough to define something as a game.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Selecting the third standard camera (behind), walk into a wall, then rotate the camera.  The camera goes the other side of the wall.  Custom isn't the problem.

you will need to show this happening. As is not the default behaviour of the standard Linden viewer

edit add. Am pretty sure that you are not using the standard Linden viewer. Probably using a TPV like Firestorm.  In Firestorm there is a setting: "Allow the camera to move without constraints through prims" When this is enabled then will see the behaviour you are describing

Edited by Mollymews

M'kay ...

1. Like it or not, you're not going to change anyone's opinion regarding classifying Second Life as a Game - give it up and move on, we've had that "debate" many, many times before
  2. It is the Camera Position that determines what is rendered, not the Avatar

You can test that second in the Official Second Life Viewer and in Firestorm (or any other TPV that allows for the following behavior) by bringing up the People floater and double clicking/right clicking and Zooming To a particular Avatar near the edge of your Draw Distance (beyond it if using Firestorm as it allows for this). Lo and behold, the Viewer will start to render things around that Avatar up to your set Draw Distance.

Amazing!

So rendering objects between the Camera and your Avatar as solid objects is the expected behavior.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, RowanMinx said:

I sometimes say that Second Life is more like a stadium. There are just so many different things that can happen in a stadium, far more than just games. I've been to a corporate AGM that was held in a meeting room which is part of the local soccer stadium. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 11:56 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Reading is "an entertaining activity", but isn't a game.  Doing crossword puzzles or putting together picture puzzles - both entertaining activities, but not games.  

Thus, "entertaining activity" is not enough to define something as a game.

I've never heard of anyone who doesn't call a jigsaw puzzle a game.  Reading and watching a film don't qualify as games because they're not interactive.  One of those murder mystery books they (used to) make for kids where you choose an option and go to a different page to end up in a different plot, that would be a game.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:04 AM, Mollymews said:

you will need to show this happening. As is not the default behaviour of the standard Linden viewer

edit add. Am pretty sure that you are not using the standard Linden viewer. Probably using a TPV like Firestorm.  In Firestorm there is a setting: "Allow the camera to move without constraints through prims" When this is enabled then will see the behaviour you are describing

I use the Linden viewer.  I tried Firestorm and didn't like the control interface.  It's possible a camera setting I changed for another reason is causing he problem.  How do I record a video in Linden viewer?  I can only see a button for a still photo. 

On 10/18/2020 at 12:22 AM, Solar Legion said:

M'kay ...

1. Like it or not, you're not going to change anyone's opinion regarding classifying Second Life as a Game - give it up and move on, we've had that "debate" many, many times before
  2. It is the Camera Position that determines what is rendered, not the Avatar

You can test that second in the Official Second Life Viewer and in Firestorm (or any other TPV that allows for the following behavior) by bringing up the People floater and double clicking/right clicking and Zooming To a particular Avatar near the edge of your Draw Distance (beyond it if using Firestorm as it allows for this). Lo and behold, the Viewer will start to render things around that Avatar up to your set Draw Distance.

Amazing!

So rendering objects between the Camera and your Avatar as solid objects is the expected behavior.

And in contradiction to Mollymews's experience.  And also annoying when you're trying to navigate through a narrow hallway and can't see your own avatar.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:05 AM, swedishfox Ghost said:

annoyance [random-number-here]: going to any place and hear constant phallic/sex jokes, references, and more.

annoyance [random-number+1-here]: going to any place and not hearing constant phallic/sex jokes, references, and more.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.