Fires

Evah Baxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

75 plus years of fire suppression has led to this. Instead of small fires clearing out the underbrush every few years we let the accumulated forest detritus build and build and build. And when there is finally an out of control fire, its a biggun.

But there is good news.  Fire is part of the natural forest cycle, so in the burnt out areas, they won't have another fire for many years. 😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a word
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JenniexKim said:

what’s next on 2020’s agenda ??? lol

It's not a good year when I felt the need to (after posting the possible vaccine failure of late) make sure those in the Covid thread knew my photo of a vaccine-failure zombie outbreak in a popular movie was a joke...   :(

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

75 plus years of fire suppression has led to this. Instead of small fires clearing out the underbrush every few years we let the accumulated forest detritus build and build and build. And when there is finally an out of control fire, its a biggun.

But there is good news.  Fire is part of the natural forest cycle, so in the burnt out areas, they won't have another fire for many years. 😁

It's not quite as simple as just past fire suppression practices being the only cause,  nor is it a sure thing that areas burnt this year won't burn again next year, or did not burn last year or the year before.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

Hope they are (and stay) far enough away to not be an immediate threat for you.

So far so good. The one south of us has been contained. The sky was orange for 3 days, now it's gray and smoky. Supposed to clear up in a couple of days and then rain on Tuesday.

We'll see. As long as there are no more wind storms, we should be fine. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

I feel so at home under these red skies and ashy streets...

I feel for everyone on the west coast. I was offered a job in Oregon for Amazon but ... I turned it down on account of the fires. No way am I going cross country just to maybe have to turn around and come back to the east coast.

• Like 1

Those of us that make it out of 2020 will have many tales to tell our grandchildren, that's for sure..

Gramah! Why does everyone say, you think that's bad,you shoulda been around in 2020?

Oh,You wanna hear about 2020 do ya? Well pull up a chair! \o/

We're gonna be here for awhile..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

No, a pair of nitwits setting off pyrotechnics at a "gender reveal party" in dry grass led to this fire.. These idiots need to stop this nonsense. Just have a colored cake  for gods sake.. 

The fires in the Amazon... clearing land for farming

The fires in Australia, many set by arsonists

The fires in western USA, many, as the one you mentioned, have a human cause.

Fires are part of the natural cycle in any forest, or grassland for that matter.

I offered a cause for the severity of the fires in an earlier post, poor forest management, but no, instead of doing things to reduce future wildfires, people would rather wring their hands and blame man made global warming and say there's nothing we can do about anything until we reduce our carbon dioxide emissions.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.