Your approach to SL.

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

For several years SL Pixie was an extension of RL me, experiencing things I never could.  
For many years now, & anymore I might log on if I look at a sale blog & thibk I need something otherwise I’m just not going inworld.  But if I do it’s strictly as Pixie is a virtual Barbie doll & the wigs & jewelry & clothes & shoes n stuff that I can’t wear in RL.

But I’m always me.

I think most of us LOVE the Barbie aspect of sl.  Personally, I like being able to have long luscious hair one day and mostly shaved the next.  Plus, no way could I stand around for hours in heels!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

/me hands you some almost new silks and hopes you're from southern Gor.

LOL I have all I need on that alt. I won't say how many years I've been doing this. lol

They really have no clue just how many "slaves" are running around the country side that are not Panthers, and are smart enough to keep to themselves, wear disguises (FC gown stolen off wash lines) to trade in the market place, hunts with bow and catches fish and moves camp often. 😇🤭

• Haha 2

My persona stays the same inworld, RL and here on the boards.  I'm not able to seperate myself into different personas.  

Right now I in a dark and twisty place where I have completely retreated into my shell and full on introvert mode is on in my RL and that is how I am in SL too.  I rarely talk to anyone inworld, I stay on my skypad when I am logged in and even then, it's not for long.  These boards are probably the only interactions I have with people in SL and that's kinda sad, but it's how I like it.  My trust in people has been eroded.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

My persona stays the same inworld, RL and here on the boards.  I'm not able to seperate myself into different personas.  

Right now I in a dark and twisty place where I have completely retreated into my shell and full on introvert mode is on in my RL and that is how I am in SL too.  I rarely talk to anyone inworld, I stay on my skypad when I am logged in and even then, it's not for long.  These boards are probably the only interactions I have with people in SL and that's kinda sad, but it's how I like it.  My trust in people has been eroded.

I can sympathize with you.  SL for me has always been very cyclical and mostly for the same reason.  People.  That was the basis for my question about how people approach their SL.  I've always tried to treat people as I would want to be treated.  That shouldn't change because someone is in a virtual world but for some, it seems to be an excuse to 'act out their fantasies' which often includes treating people badly.  As if the whole of SL revolves around them and their persona.  I've never made it a secret that I keep a line between my RL and SL but not to the extent that I'm not the same person.  I've also found that the less expectations I have from people in general, the less I'm disappointed.  *shrugs*    Sad, maybe but it's kept me sane...mostly....kinda....sorta.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

A friend years ago wanted me to check out Gor which at the time, I had no idea of what it was about.  I did a little research and decided that there was no way on earth I would be able to kneel and obey any 20 something man who considered himself a master.  I'd be the slave saying, "you want mead?  Get up off your lazy a** and get it yourself"

I had some friends who lived on a Gor sim. I didn't want to crash their RP completely out of character, so I dressed up as "Seamstress of Gor", killed a giant tarsk with knitting needles, and brought them the meat in a U-Haul truck.

14088091_SeamstressofGor.thumb.jpg.d6d999161f253b754b2b507df118df7f.jpg

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I had some friends who lived on a Gor sim. I didn't want to crash their RP completely out of character, so I dressed up as "Seamstress of Gor", killed a giant tarsk with knitting needles, and brought them the meat in a U-Haul truck.

You, Rowan and Silent are almost making Gor sound fun !   (Though I'm really sure it's not someplace I'd want to visit, especially without the quick sense of humor/creativity you all appear to have).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

You, Rowan and Silent are almost making Gor sound fun !   (Though I'm really sure it's not someplace I'd want to visit, especially without the quick sense of humor/creativity you all appear to have).

Maybe a field trip is in order.  We could protect you.  I know I have some sort of weapon around here somewhere..../me rummages through her inventory, tossing things left and right to get to the very bottom

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

14088091_SeamstressofGor.thumb.jpg.d6d999161f253b754b2b507df118df7f.jpg

And they didn't toss you out for the U-Haul?  Cute pic by the way.

12 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I've been meaning to give that whole domme thing a try.  There always seems to be a person about who messages me with, "hello Miss".  My friends tell me I give off that vibe.  

I've been kinky forever, but eschew the stereotypical rituals and trappings of the scene. Though I'm the one "in control", I've been called "submissive" because I endeavor to please my partners. Does anyone really believe there's a future in displeasing the people you are with?

My idea of torture is to blindfold someone just before kidnapping them in my spaceship, so they can't see the look on Han Solo's face as I pass him on the intergalactic freeway after tailing the Millennium falcon for light years watching his left turn signal blinking away as my windshield fills with Chewbacca's spittle. Once safely at the destination, possibly a campsite in the woods, I remove the blindfold and regale them with stories of all the things they missed along the way. For those of you who've watched me spin a yarn, you know know how torturous that can be.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I don't think any trip to Gor would be complete without @Amina Sopwith.

Mind you, you'd be too busy guffawing to actually see anything. But maybe it's better that way in any case.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Maybe a field trip is in order.  We could protect you.  I know I have some sort of weapon around here somewhere..../me rummages through her inventory, tossing things left and right to get to the very bottom

:)     /me wildly swings around a pirate axe/spear weapon thingy she got as a prize on a hunt.  

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't think any trip to Gor would be complete without @Amina Sopwith.

Mind you, you'd be too busy guffawing to actually see anything. But maybe it's better that way in any case.

Yes, Gor did bring Amina to mind.  

After I first heard about Gor, and that it was based on books, and read a few pages of one I found online ...     I was beyond words that not only did people buy the books, but had created all these RP regions based on those books...  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

:)     /me wildly swings around a pirate axe/spear weapon thingy she got as a prize on a hunt.  

Yes, Gor did bring Amina to mind.  

After I first heard about Gor, and that it was based on books, and read a few pages of one I found online ...     I was beyond words that not only did people buy the books, but had created all these RP regions based on those books...  

I actually saw someone years ago with something in his profile about living Gor in SL for such and such years and in RL such and such years.  I was like WTF is wrong with you dude?  Misogyny at it's finest?

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I actually saw someone years ago with something in his profile about living Gor in SL for such and such years and in RL such and such years.  I was like WTF is wrong with you dude?

I have seen comments before about people living that life style in RL - that just boggles my mind.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I have seen comments before about people living that life style in RL - that just boggles my mind.  

Frankly, it scares the dickens out of me.  A perfect example of how some people fail to separate their SL persona and RL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

My question is....do you feel your persona in SL is you or do you think of your avatar as a completely different entity.  I've only done a small.amount of RP but the personality of my character was basically me. 

A separate entity imbued with my essence.

And Gor rp is a hoot. Many of my friends are old Gor players, and they're some of the nicest folks I've met in SL. My fave character to play was a tavern-girl in Port Kar who occasionally broke into death metal versions of local ballads. Second was the Torvie holy woman and her drunken adventures with her verr-herder roommate...

• Like 3

Yeah, Gor RP is hilarious. Get your bones broken one by one, get vomit and sewage thrown over you, get penetrated three feet out of your back by an illiterate fathead, and when you ask in IM for any of it to stop, be told no because the most important thing is to be Truly Gorean. Meet people who think it's something to boast about that they do RL branding (for clarification: a man having at his girlfriend in the kitchen with a red hot poker and no intention of seeking medical attention). Be complicit in perpetuating a subculture based around a series of books that expound, at length and without irony, the brilliance of abusive relationships, the literal subhumanity of all women and their need for horrible abuse. Witness and indeed perpetuate the witless rantings of a moron who saw a Women's Lib demonstration 60 years ago and hasn't stopped tantrumming since. Who thinks living on a planet with demonstrably less gravity than Earth will actually produce stronger men (and only the men). Learn a whole new language of baby talk that will make you spit. 

What's that you say? You'll take off and RP instead in Arabian Nights and Ancient Rome sims because they'll never find you there? Oh my sweet summer child.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Yeah, Gor RP is hilarious. Get your bones broken one by one, get vomit and sewage thrown over you, get penetrated three feet out of your back by an illiterate fathead, and when you ask in IM for any of it to stop, be told no because the most important thing is to be Truly Gorean. Meet people who think it's something to boast about that they do RL branding (for clarification: a man having at his girlfriend in the kitchen with a red hot poker and no intention of seeking medical attention). Be complicit in perpetuating a subculture based around a series of books that expound, at length and without irony, the brilliance of abusive relationships, the literal subhumanity of all women and their need for horrible abuse. Witness and indeed perpetuate the witless rantings of a moron who saw a Women's Lib demonstration 60 years ago and hasn't stopped tantrumming since. Who thinks living on a planet with demonstrably less gravity than Earth will actually produce stronger men (and only the men). Learn a whole new language of baby talk that will make you spit. 

What's that you say? You'll take off and RP instead in Arabian Nights and Ancient Rome sims because they'll never find you there? Oh my sweet summer child.

Scylla was right.  You'd have me laughing my butt off in gor. When I first heard about it, I trudged my way through the first book, shaking my head the entire time.  I will say I've met a few men who play or have played (yes play not RP but that's a whole other subject) in gor and outside of that setting, they seemed fairly normal.  Perhaps this is how I'd describe immersive RP where you'd have to play someone totally different something I just can't wrap my head around.  I'd be spending all my time not bit** slapping someone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I don't doubt your experience with Gor, but I was able to kill a tarsk with knitting needles and deliver the carcass in a U-Haul truck, to the delight and laughter of the denizens of the camp. Not everyone takes the canon seriously.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I'll be the first to admit I keep an extremely small circle of friends who view SL in much the way I do.  I'm me.  The person you would meet inworld is the same person you would meet on the street. (minus the 4 inch heels and perfect hair). My question is....do you feel your persona in SL is you or do you think of your avatar as a completely different entity.  I've only done a small.amount of RP but the personality of my character was basically me.  I'm interested to know how one can totally separate the two.  For example, people who play as something other than a basic human.  Is it possible to immerse yourself to the extent that your entire personality is different?

I am completely me. Even my alts/RP characters are still just aspects of myself, but this main avatar was created to be, and still is, just me as I am in RL (aside from physical appearance).

4 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

A lot of.people tend to feel that way.  For some reason, I'm the opposite.  I can strike up a conversation with anyone, anytime in rl.  SL, I tend to sit back and watch.

I'm the same. Mainly because in SL it's harder to tell whether someone in SL is busy.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.