Your approach to SL.

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/31/2020 at 8:17 PM, RowanMinx said:

I'll be the first to admit I keep an extremely small circle of friends who view SL in much the way I do.  I'm me.  The person you would meet inworld is the same person you would meet on the street. (minus the 4 inch heels and perfect hair). My question is....do you feel your persona in SL is you or do you think of your avatar as a completely different entity.  I've only done a small.amount of RP but the personality of my character was basically me.  I'm interested to know how one can totally separate the two.  For example, people who play as something other than a basic human.  Is it possible to immerse yourself to the extent that your entire personality is different?

I'm me there is no difference between the me in world and the me in rl. other then what I look like. I am not a different persona im not role playing or fantasizing. I dont do the immersion thing, sl is nothing more than a pixelated chat interface to me. Its not a separate reality of any sort.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I'm me there is no difference between the me in world and the me in rl. other then what I look like. I am not a different persona im not role playing or fantasizing. I dont do the immersion thing, sl is nothing more than a pixelated chat interface to me. Its not a separate reality of any sort.

That's pretty much how I've always thought of SL, too.  I was just curious how others here approached SL.  I know a lot of people are purely here for the RP and it's always fascinated me how one can totally immerse themselves.  A few people have mentioned it's a lot like acting.  Putting on a character with mannerisms, speech, the whole nine yards.  Their replies have me contemplating trying it again.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I think a good term for the way I see Second Life would be Unfiction.

Its a fairly new term that I think SL fits into from my perspective.

https://medium.com/@Unsperience/what-is-unfiction-86ec158c8119

Yay, I learned something early in the day today, so I am set for learning stuff! The rest of the day I can just... not learn! Thanks for the link!

Unfiction. Cool. And yes, I can certainly see that being applied to SL.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 9:17 PM, RowanMinx said:

My question is....do you feel your persona in SL is you or do you think of your avatar as a completely different entity. 

For example, people who play as something other than a basic human.  Is it possible to immerse yourself to the extent that your entire personality is different?

Oh no...my RL personality is exactly like my SL one...bombastic, megalomanical, egotistical, overbearing.....😀

Obviously since I play a space alien bent on taking over the galaxy, he is played much differently than my RL personality. It IS possible to immerse yourself. It's all acting. You're playing a part. It's  a lot of fun for me to talk about conquering the Earth and subjugating its peoples as slaves to the Great and Glorious Vaspuemian Empire. That makes SL fun and exciting. 

You should try being someone else sometime....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.