Drunk programmer?

sunnyrio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

I don't have to think it when I know it from first hand experience.  If I'm trying to do something, having a drink makes me work out the answer better and quicker.  Alcohol is chemically similar to glucose.  Both are fuels which can be used by the brain.  Alcohol is like putting nitrous oxide into your car.  Small amount, faster.  Large amount, broken.

Alcohol also gives you delusions of grandeur....obviously.  However, your drunken ramblings are amusing so do continue but without me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

Alcohol also gives you delusions of grandeur....obviously.  However, your drunken ramblings are amusing so do continue but without me.

As I said before but you've missed the point entirely, nobody has ever spotted I've had a drink.  So clearly you're utterly wrong.  Again.

And if I was drunk (you clearly don't know the difference between a drink and drunk), my sentences would be more like:

Ass I shaid befor butt you've misssed the pont entirely   nobdy has ever sp otted I've hadd a drenk  so clearly your utterle rong  Again.

Edited by sunnyrio

Oooh, I did find this...

https://www.entrepreneur.com/slideshow/303584

I didn't see anything in the article to suggest causation.

I've read some pretty interesting research showing that taking showers boosts creativity...

https://buffer.com/resources/shower-thoughts-science-of-creativity/

The common thread here is relaxation. There are far better ways to achieve that than through the use of alcohol.

ETA: There's also a debunked claim in the alcohol article, about modest consumption of alcohol prolonging life. I've been following this idea for decades, since being hospitalized after getting hit by a drunk driver while walking on a a city sidewalk (my best friend did not survive.) A meta-analysis of previous research on alcohol consumption and longevity discovered significant selection bias in the research. The reason that alcohol drinkers appeared to be healthier, and live longer, than tee-totalers was that the researchers had neglected to inquire why the non-drinkers didn't drink. It turns out a substantial number of them were recovering alcoholics, or had medical conditions contraindicating alcohol consumption. These people are known as "sick quitters". Once they're culled from the statistics, any benefit from alcohol consumption vanishes.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/24/17242720/alcohol-health-risks-facts

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Citation please?

Don't believe lies, damn lies, and statistics from government surveys you find on google.  Try it for yourself.  Make two tests, anything you like, some maths problems to solve or something.  Two fairly equal tests.  Or buy some puzzle books.  Do one sober, do one after 1 pint of beer.  I guarantee the beer one will be done faster and/or more accurately.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Oooh, I did find this...

https://www.entrepreneur.com/slideshow/303584

I didn't see anything in the article to suggest causation.

I've read some pretty interesting research showing that taking showers boosts creativity...

https://buffer.com/resources/shower-thoughts-science-of-creativity/

The common thread here is relaxation. There are far better ways to achieve that than through the use of alcohol.

I very much doubt relaxing makes anything faster.  But alcohol is very useful, it's easy to take, just have a swig when you're stuck on something, and you will suddenly have a brainwave.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

I find it absurd that they can't make prescription glasses to sort whatever's wrong with your eyes.

Talk about clueless.  There are sooooo many things that can go wrong with the eyes that prescription glasses cannot correct.

And I knew that long before I ever had any eye issues.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are sooooo many things that can go wrong with the eyes that prescription glasses cannot correct.

On the other hand, though, there's a pretty complete model of what happens from photons at least as far back as visual cortex, and it's been pretty complete for decades; meanwhile, sensors get better and more miniature, and processing gets faster and more miniature. And there's been some progress in interfacing electronics to the brain. Not sure how complete the model of outbound information, though, from saccades to sensor tasking, but still: how far away can we really be from a fully bionic eye?

Y'all have managed to stretch a one page thread to three pages, by thinking it's possible to win an argument with someone who's a complete know-nothing and is firmly of the opinion they know everything.  Not gonna happen.  Move on, nothing to see here.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Y'all have managed to stretch a one page thread to three pages, by thinking it's possible to win an argument with someone who's a complete know-nothing and is firmly of the opinion they know everything.  Not gonna happen.  Move on, nothing to see here.

Thank you for your contribution.

Qn4GNjS.jpg

/me ducks and runs 😁

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Talk about clueless.  There are sooooo many things that can go wrong with the eyes that prescription glasses cannot correct.

And I knew that long before I ever had any eye issues.

And yet your monitor can manage it?  If you actually said what was wrong, we could understand the problem better.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sunnyrio said:

And yet your monitor can manage it?  If you actually said what was wrong, we could understand the problem better.

It is primarily (but not totally) a light sensitivity issue, that cannot be corrected by just wearing sunglasses or just fiddling with the brightness & contrast of monitors.  Things like 'dark theme' help, but aren't a total cure-all either.

Look up Photophobia and Blepharospasm, which are probably the worst of my eye issues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

On the other hand, though, there's a pretty complete model of what happens from photons at least as far back as visual cortex, and it's been pretty complete for decades; meanwhile, sensors get better and more miniature, and processing gets faster and more miniature. And there's been some progress in interfacing electronics to the brain. Not sure how complete the model of outbound information, though, from saccades to sensor tasking, but still: how far away can we really be from a fully bionic eye?

If you want to help with this sort of stuff, or any science, you can donate your computer time to it at https://boinc.berkeley.edu/

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is primarily (but not totally) a light sensitivity issue, that cannot be corrected by just wearing sunglasses or just fiddling with the brightness & contrast of monitors.  Things like 'dark theme' help, but aren't a total cure-all either.

Look up Photophobia and Blepharospasm, which are probably the worst of my eye issues.

Specsavers seem to think there are glasses for Photophobia, but perhaps that doesn't include looking at monitors.  I'm guessing your problem is a mostly white monitor is a lot of light, and glasses would just make the words unreadable?

Have you tried extensions such as this?  https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/dark-mode/

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

I find it absurd that they can't make prescription glasses to sort whatever's wrong with your eyes.

Optical issues that can't be corrected by glasses:

• Extreme astigmatism. There is a practical limit to refractive correction of the effects of distorted corneas, particularly since our eyes rotate in their sockets and glasses don't follow that motion.
  • Extreme presbyopia (loss of focus accommodation with aging). Small amounts can be ameloriated with bifocals or progressive lenses. True restoration of accommodation would require active adaptive optics.
  • Cataracts or other kinds of corneal opacity

Not all vision problems are optical. There are quite a few "sensor failure" problems, including:

• Macular degeneration
  • Glaucoma
  • Retinitus Pigmentosa
  • Color Blindness
  • Loss of night vision
  • Photophobia - variations of this disorder are sensitive to the dynamic range of light in the field of view. Sunglasses shift dynamic range, not reduce it.

I'm sure there are other conditions I've missed.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

Nope, perfect vision.  I find it absurd that they can't make prescription glasses to sort whatever's wrong with your eyes.

You are fortunate to have perfect vision, and I hope that will continue to be the case for you as you progress through life.  Some of the conditions @Madelaine McMasters mentioned above are somewhat common conditions that many encounter as they age, and many of those aren't even curable/fixable by existing eye surgery capabilities.

In other areas of 'viewing' life though, sometimes it's good not to look at everything only in black or white, or only in stark clarity.  Sometimes being able to view life with a little grey or a bit of fuzziness is helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Could have won before they had their first drink though it would mean that they would be wrong on us not being able to tell if they had had a drink yet.9_9

57 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Optical issues that can't be corrected by glasses:

• Extreme astigmatism. There is a practical limit to refractive correction of the effects of distorted corneas, particularly since our eyes rotate in their sockets and glasses don't follow that motion.
  • Extreme presbyopia (loss of focus accommodation with aging). Small amounts can be ameloriated with bifocals or progressive lenses. True restoration of accommodation would require active adaptive optics.
  • Cataracts or other kinds of corneal opacity

Not all vision problems are optical. There are quite a few "sensor failure" problems, including:

• Macular degeneration
  • Glaucoma
  • Retinitus Pigmentosa
  • Color Blindness
  • Loss of night vision
  • Photophobia - variations of this disorder are sensitive to the dynamic range of light in the field of view. Sunglasses shift dynamic range, not reduce it.

I'm sure there are other conditions I've missed.

Photophobia, which is what we're dealing with here, requires a smaller dynamic range?  Should be easy to tell a monitor to do that.

40 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

You are fortunate to have perfect vision, and I hope that will continue to be the case for you as you progress through life.  Some of the conditions @Madelaine McMasters mentioned above are somewhat common conditions that many encounter as they age, and many of those aren't even curable/fixable by existing eye surgery capabilities.

In other areas of 'viewing' life though, sometimes it's good not to look at everything only in black or white, or only in stark clarity.  Sometimes being able to view life with a little grey or a bit of fuzziness is helpful.

Agreed, which is why whenever anyone says "zero tolerance" I stop listening.

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Could have won before they had their first drink though it would mean that they would be wrong on us not being able to tell if they had had a drink yet.9_9

You certainly can't tell if someone's drunk through text.

6 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

You certainly can't tell if someone's drunk through text.

Depends how well the person is known. By your own admission, a drink or two changes certain people's attitude and helps them to be more self confident. That would translate to a difference in such a person's postings.

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Depends how well the person is known. By your own admission, a drink or two changes certain people's attitude and helps them to be more self confident. That would translate to a difference in such a person's postings.

Too subtle to detect, way too much variance due to other factors.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.