Drunk programmer?

sunnyrio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Maintenance-RC viewers have been named after alcoholic drinks for a while now, we've already been through the alphabet once & they are back to A again.

I enjoy reading the notes about the alcoholic drink at the beginning of the release notes.  To me, it shows a bit of whimsy and fun, which considering the product (SL) doesn't seem out of place to me.  It also makes me feel that the staff have a good sense of humor, and that they are enjoying their work.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:
  1. Automatic is the "normal" color.
  2. When pasting text from the Wiki it is often best to paste without formatting (if you have that option) so that "automatic" is used.

So their own pages break their own theme.  For crying out loud.  If the text is black on white, the theme should change it to white on black, it's not rocket science.  "Automatic" (which is black on normal mode) should not react differently to "black".

18 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I enjoy reading the notes about the alcoholic drink at the beginning of the release notes.  To me, it shows a bit of whimsy and fun, which considering the product (SL) doesn't seem out of place to me.  It also makes me feel that the staff have a good sense of humor, and that they are enjoying their work.  

I'm surprised they don't report themselves.  If I even say a swearword in this nanny state I get into trouble.

1 minute ago, sunnyrio said:

Can't you just wear sunglasses?

You obviously don't have any eye issues.

Years ago, when I first started having issues with light, I tried wearing sunglasses indoors and sometimes while working at the computer.   Sunglasses actually make working on the computer much harder.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You obviously don't have any eye issues.

Years ago, when I first started having issues with light, I tried wearing sunglasses indoors and sometimes while working at the computer.   Sunglasses actually make working on the computer much harder.

Nope, perfect vision.  I find it absurd that they can't make prescription glasses to sort whatever's wrong with your eyes.

Isn't there an overall browser plugin or something in the OS that you can make everything better colours with?  Windows is full of accessibility stuff.  Having to change every single site you go to must be a pain, and presumably most don't have themes.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

So their own pages break their own theme.  For crying out loud.  If the text is black on white, the theme should change it to white on black, it's not rocket science.  "Automatic" (which is black on normal mode) should not react differently to "black".

You obviously do not understand the difference between a specified color and "Automatic" - there is a difference.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out what that difference is. Here's a hint: It's right in this response.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

You obviously do not understand the difference between a specified color and "Automatic" - there is a difference.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out what that difference is. Here's a hint: It's right in this response.

It's all black on white on my screen.  A dark theme should change what I see to the opposite.  If it doesn't, the theme is broken. But then most things in SL are.

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 2

Just now, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. That's also not how it works - at all.

Use proper formatting.

Then explain how it does work (and why it doesn't work sensibly like I just said it should).  Maybe I was right and the programmers really are drunk.

It's not my formatting!!!  I copied it from their own page!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, sunnyrio said:

Since you're just laughing, clearly you don't actually know how it works.

I am laughing at you, dear.

See, it is quite self-explanatory but since you're not getting it: Automatic is set by the Theme/Style whereas selecting a specific color (be it directly or through copied text that contains hidden formatting) uses that specified color.

Hmm, simple enough to grasp, now isn't it?

Edited by Solar Legion

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

I am laughing at you, dear.

See, it is quite self-explanatory but since you're not getting it: Automatic is set by the Theme/Style whereas selecting a specific color (be it directly or through copied text that contains hidden formatting) uses that specified color.

Hmm, simple enough to grasp, now isn't it?

So like I thought, terrible programming.  The SL theme is incompatible with it's own forum pages.  If I post black on white specifically, then the theme has to change that to white on black, or it's not doing its job.

And again.  Don't tell me to use the right formatting, when the formatting was done by whoever did the release notes.

• Haha 1

Just now, sunnyrio said:

So like I thought, terrible programming.  The SL theme is incompatible with it's own forum pages.  If I post black on white specifically, then the theme has to change that to white on black, or it's not doing its job.

And again.  Don't tell me to use the right formatting, when the formatting was done by whoever did the release notes.

Wrong.

The Release Notes contain a specific color code embedded into the page and text. How this is treated is bog bloody standard coding/programming.

So yes, I'll tell you to use proper formatting. Deal with it or use Ignore.

2 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

That's just wrong, you're in your own home and they dictate your diet!  What jobs are you talking about, operating a nuclear power plant?

Nobody smelt mine.  Cider, and homebrew (whatever you call the stuff that gives you 23%).  Even police don't notice it when I'm stopped for speeding.

This explain a.lot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Wrong.

The Release Notes contain a specific color code embedded into the page and text. How this is treated is bog bloody standard coding/programming.

So yes, I'll tell you to use proper formatting. Deal with it or use Ignore.

When you view a specific colour code in a theme designed to make it easier to read, that theme should make it easier to read by changing those colours!  My god I'm talking to a brick wall.

And why are you telling me to use the proper formatting when I did not format?!  How many times?  I copied what you believe to be incorrectly formatted text from SL's own page!  Blame the guy who wrote that page!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Nope, perfect vision.  I find it absurd that they can't make prescription glasses to sort whatever's wrong with your eyes.

Isn't there an overall browser plugin or something in the OS that you can make everything better colours with?  Windows is full of accessibility stuff.  Having to change every single site you go to must be a pain, and presumably most don't have themes.

That's oh so nice, now isn't it?

Meanwhile in the Real World there are conditions which affect eyesight which cannot be corrected by using prescription lenses. Telling someone with light sensitivity to simply use sunglasses shows a level of ignorance (among other things) that is simply inexcusable.

Your belief that there is some magical OS side Accessibility setting or some browser plug in that can universally adapt a page to whatever is most comfortable for a particular user (even Dark Reader needs to be tweaked/set per site to be properly effective) is rather laughable.

7 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Yes, it explains you have no idea what alcohol does.  A small amount actually increases your reactions etc.  You can think much more clearly.

Just have another drink, buttercup and keep thinking that.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

That's oh so nice, now isn't it?

Meanwhile in the Real World there are conditions which affect eyesight which cannot be corrected by using prescription lenses. Telling someone with light sensitivity to simply use sunglasses shows a level of ignorance (among other things) that is simply inexcusable.

Your belief that there is some magical OS side Accessibility setting or some browser plug in that can universally adapt a page to whatever is most comfortable for a particular user (even Dark Reader needs to be tweaked/set per site to be properly effective) is rather laughable.

Why is it inexcusable to not be an expert optometrist?  Presumably your eyes don't like brightness.  So just turn the monitor brightness down!

If the theme can change the colours, so can the browser or OS.  Especially the browser.  All it has to do is precisely what the theme is currently doing.  All browsers have a vast range of plugins and there will be one that does the job.  Go have a search.

• Haha 1

Just now, RowanMinx said:

Just have another drink, buttercup and keep thinking that.

I don't have to think it when I know it from first hand experience.  If I'm trying to do something, having a drink makes me work out the answer better and quicker.  Alcohol is chemically similar to glucose.  Both are fuels which can be used by the brain.  Alcohol is like putting nitrous oxide into your car.  Small amount, faster.  Large amount, broken.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

When you view a specific colour code in a theme designed to make it easier to read, that theme should make it easier to read by changing those colours!  My god I'm talking to a brick wall.

And why are you telling me to use the proper formatting when I did not format?!  How many times?  I copied what you believe to be incorrectly formatted text from SL's own page!  Blame the guy who wrote that page!

You obviously haven't a clue whatsoever on how page formatting works. At all.

What you describe is only possible when the color field for text is left to the theme to fill in. When you are coping text from another page that copy will often have extra formatting within it that tells it how to appear/behave.

A Theme will not override this - at all.

Below is the exact text from your OP - the text taken from the Release Notes page - stripped of all formatting that your copy carried with it.

"Release Notes
Arrack is a distilled alcoholic drink typically produced in the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, made from the fermented sap of coconut flowers or sugarcane, and also with grain (e.g. red rice) or fruit depending upon the country of origin. It is sometimes spelled arak, or simply referred to as ‘rack or ‘rak. It is not to be confused with the anise-flavored distilled spirit called Arak or Araq.

There are two primary styles of Arrack that are very different from one another: Batavia Arrack is often clear in color but has a flavor profile more similar to dark rum, with a distinctive “funk” or “hogo” imparted to it from fermented red rice. Ceylon Arrack, by contrast, is a more refined and subtle spirit. It has hints of Cognac and rum character and a wealth of delicate floral notes. Both styles are also made “in house” by local citizenry and can be more akin to moonshine in their presentation.

Note: This Viewer uses Viewer Manager 2.0.538279"

You will notice that the above will now obey the Forum Theme's input and that the extra Bold and Size formatting were stripped out.

Their initial presence should have been your hint that you'd also copied specific formatting tags along with the text.

ETA: This is the last response I am making to you as it is quite clear that you're trolling, incapable of understanding what has been said thus far or simply uncaring or lazy.

May you live in interesting times.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

You obviously haven't a clue whatsoever on how page formatting works. At all.

It works badly.

What you describe is only possible when the color field for text is left to the theme to fill in. When you are coping text from another page that copy will often have extra formatting within it that tells it how to appear/behave.

A Theme will not override this - at all.

Then it should.

Below is the exact text from your OP - the text taken from the Release Notes page - stripped of all formatting that your copy carried with it.

"Release Notes
Arrack is a distilled alcoholic drink typically produced in the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, made from the fermented sap of coconut flowers or sugarcane, and also with grain (e.g. red rice) or fruit depending upon the country of origin. It is sometimes spelled arak, or simply referred to as ‘rack or ‘rak. It is not to be confused with the anise-flavored distilled spirit called Arak or Araq.

There are two primary styles of Arrack that are very different from one another: Batavia Arrack is often clear in color but has a flavor profile more similar to dark rum, with a distinctive “funk” or “hogo” imparted to it from fermented red rice. Ceylon Arrack, by contrast, is a more refined and subtle spirit. It has hints of Cognac and rum character and a wealth of delicate floral notes. Both styles are also made “in house” by local citizenry and can be more akin to moonshine in their presentation.

Note: This Viewer uses Viewer Manager 2.0.538279"

You will notice that the above will now obey the Forum Theme's input and that the extra Bold and Size formatting were stripped out.

Their initial presence should have been your hint that you'd also copied specific formatting tags along with the text.

What presence?  Since it appeared as normal text on my screen, why would I consider it might not be normal?  Why would I even consider anyone would be using themes?  Why don't you complain to everyone who posts an image because blind people can't see it?

And again, if you don't like it, complain to the guy that wrote that page I copied from.  I....did....not....change....their....formatting.  Slow enough?

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.