Drunk programmer?

sunnyrio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Optical issues that can't be corrected by glasses:

• Extreme astigmatism. There is a practical limit to refractive correction of the effects of distorted corneas, particularly since our eyes rotate in their sockets and glasses don't follow that motion.
  • Extreme presbyopia (loss of focus accommodation with aging). Small amounts can be ameloriated with bifocals or progressive lenses. True restoration of accommodation would require active adaptive optics.
  • Cataracts or other kinds of corneal opacity

Not all vision problems are optical. There are quite a few "sensor failure" problems, including:

• Macular degeneration
  • Glaucoma
  • Retinitus Pigmentosa
  • Color Blindness
  • Loss of night vision
  • Photophobia - variations of this disorder are sensitive to the dynamic range of light in the field of view. Sunglasses shift dynamic range, not reduce it.

I'm sure there are other conditions I've missed.

To add to this there are several "types" of Astigmatism, some of which include the sensitivity to light. Mine is steadily getting worse as I age but at least I had a few decades of good vision before the deterioration set in. I had almost perfect vision. 20/20 in the left eye and 20/25 in the right eye. But I don't think they use that any more.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

To add to this there are several "types" of Astigmatism, some of which include the sensitivity to light. Mine is steadily getting worse as I age but at least I had a few decades of good vision before the deterioration set in. I had almost perfect vision. 20/20 in the left eye and 20/25 in the right eye. But I don't think they use that any more.

They've changed it (seriously) to 8/8.  Metric!

7 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

They've changed it (seriously) to 8/8.  Metric!

Is that so? Hm. Note the date on this article. January 8, 2020. So quite recent.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/what-does-20-20-vision-mean

Also note the name of the website. 

I am not outside of the US. 

Outside the U.S., eyecare providers measure vision in meters instead of feet. Instead of 20/20 vision, the goal is 6/6.

And it's 6/6 not 8/8.

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Is that so? Hm. Note the date on this article. January 8, 2020. So quite recent.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/what-does-20-20-vision-mean

Also note the name of the website. 

I am not outside of the US. 

And it's 6/6 not 8/8.

There are places outside the US you know.  Or maybe you don't.... https://youtu.be/kRh1zXFKC_o?t=26  How do you guys survive?!

And the exact number is irrelevant to my point.  Changing the phrase "20/20 vision" is like saying "Give a man 2.54cm and he'll take 1.6km".

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Fallback defense.  When proved wrong, insist that it's not important.

I wasn't proved wrong, because all I was pointing out is that they changed "20/20" to make it metric.  Only someone with OCD would say I was wrong.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.