RL Meeting Would Be Very Confusing

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I heard voice once, and hope I never do again.

In the past there were problems with SLVoice turning on by itself. You should had been here. It was an amazing SL experience to listen all kind of stuff happening, female avatars with some dudes voice talking on the phone or wife or whatever, people farting/snoring , actual voices without the voice morphers and such things.

Those were the days that SL really had lots of funny stuff happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, arkall said:

how about when someone voices? Idk about you but some voices to an avi can be off putting as much if not more than seeing the RL person.

I voice quite often, my friends voice quite often. I have never had any issue with someone being on voice to be honest as it doesn't ruin anything for me. Life too short to be judging people based on their real life identity and I don't really see SL as being this "immersion" thing that others do or that by hearing someone on voice somehow breaks that immersion. If anything I find it interesting to see who exactly is behind the avatar and learn more about them. In terms of an SL RL meet up....I think that would be seriously neat. Although I feel it would be like a convention of anti social introverts who spend most of it huddled in the corners casting weary glances at those around them xD.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I find I get very immersed, and I think of people as there AV's. If I met the person behind the AV in RL  I would find it somewhat disconcerting, because to me, it's not really them. Other thoughts?

Believe it or not, you just get used to it eventually because your expectations are usually amended pretty heavily as a matter of course when meeting and spending time face to face for the very first time with online friends, although maybe less so today with voice and video chat being what they are for some. But what you're describing was the same when going to MUSH meets in the 90s. I'll bet there are even historical antecedents to this online stuff.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

i had 2 meets in rl from sl : 2013 and 2017. In both cases i wasnt dissapointed at all, and these guys were ok too,lol. First case was easier because most of people were classic avatars and wasnt looking like super models. In 2017 I was afraid to dissapoint my dude because i changed way too much since 2013.  Maybe Christmas magic worked, but it was a great rl from sl meet,we spent 1 week together .Then we had kinda confusing SL relationships , but i prefer to remember good things))

• Like 2

to be honest, I'm perfectly happy with skype or discord being the limit of SL to RL interaction. I haven't met anyone from SL in the real life body odor flesh since my rez day, and I probably never will as far as I know.

• Like 2

I don't find it confusing, because SL occupies that same place in my brain as any other online game, and I wouldn't expect someone to look like a SL supermodel gal/dude in real life any more than I would expect to see a living version of a fireball casting half-orc wizard. I do get stuck on names though. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

I only met 2 and our main issue was if we should take a shower first. (We already went through the online dating phase so just keeping it simple.)

The only time the shower would come into it was when a friend flew over from Oz and then we flew on to Amsterdam for a holiday. Long journey. The rest of the time it was where is the nearest pub.  Non of my meet ups were of the dating kind. 

• Like 2

There are only a total of four people I've ever considered meeting in RL from SL. One is my hubby (who I'm moving to the UK to be with), and the other three are my bestfriends and SL sisters. They are my loved ones in both worlds so it was never strange for me. They are the same people in both worlds. I'm pretty boring because I made my avi look like the rl me. Hubby said it wasn't a tough transition because I'm a tiny squeaky blonde in both worlds. I'm deaf and cannot hear my own voice, but apparently, I have a squeaky high pitched one. Of course hubby and sisters are the only ones I would be even willing to speak with on Skype.

I just see a person's avi as an extension of their real life self so I guess it saves a lot of weird awkwardness arising. :)

Edited by Dafadilia
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

The only issue I had when meeting SL people in RL ( I have met about 6 over the years)  was how long it took us to remember to use real names rather than avi names.  

I met a group of SL friends, mostly from Marcels, in RL a few years ago. We all used our SL names (though in my case and one other those are the same anyway). I only know the RL name of one of those people and that's only because it was in the email sent to me to inform me of the date, time and place of the gathering. Most of them looked very different from their avatars but that was less strange than discovering that one of them looks so much like me in RL that one of the group (who has met the other guy before but hadn't met me) thought I was him. We could legitimately be mistaken for brothers.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Panteleeva said:

Then we had kinda confusing SL relationships .

Usually all relationships can be confusing regardless if RL or SL.

Mine was back in 2010 and we met RL after 3 months playing SL. Kept it going for about 3 years and rarely logged in to SL With her we didn't have many things to argue because it wasn't a relationship she was already married so everything was fun and simple. The other one was back in 2018 and we spend a summer together, it was ok and i did enjoy her cooking skills too but that was about it, i am a practical person by nature so if it works it works, if it doesn't we move on, no need to spend a decade together to figure it out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Usually all relationships can be confusing regardless if RL or SL.

Mine was back in 2010 and we met RL after 3 months playing SL. Kept it going for about 3 years and rarely logged in to SL With her we didn't have many things to argue because it wasn't a relationship she was already married so everything was fun and simple. The other one was back in 2018 and we spend a summer together, it was ok and i did enjoy her cooking skills too but that was about it, i am a practical person by nature so if it works it works, if it doesn't we move on, no need to spend a decade together to figure it out.

sounds interesting .i wish to be more practical too, still hard to fight the thing that i m too emotional sometimes. 

so if it works it works, if it doesn't we move on no need to spend a decade together to figure it out.

this! in one case guy were deciding about things with me or not , but after i  left with other girl he decided faster than anyone blinks.

Edited by Panteleeva
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Panteleeva said:

i wish to be more practical too, still hard to fight the thing that i m too emotional sometimes. 

Even if you are emotional under the right circumstances you will think practically.

For example with the second one at that time i also had a health issue with my eyes that needed surgery to fix so what was more important? Worry about relationships or focus on my personal health?

Like it or not there are priorities and people come and go unless both decide to live together, today you sleep with them tomorrow you barely know how they are. It's part of life.

25 minutes ago, Panteleeva said:

this! in one case guy were deciding about things with me or not , but after i  left with other girl he decided faster than anyone blinks.

Yes it happens, then again if it's over it's over no need to worry about it. Next...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Even if you are emotional under the right circumstances you will think practically.

For example with the second one at that time i also had a health issue with my eyes that needed surgery to fix so what was more important? Worry about relationships or focus on my personal health?

Like it or not there are priorities and people come and go unless both decide to live together, today you sleep with them tomorrow you barely know how they are. It's part of life.

Yes it happens, then again if it's over it's over no need to worry about it. Next...

your words liek a fresh air for me,thank you 😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I agree, it would be strange suddenly realizing that this sexy girl that I have known for a while in SL was really a heavy-set, bearded guy. And this Dom with 3 slaves who follow him around 24/7 is actually a scrawny, rather insecure and introverted guy.

I definitely prefer seeing the avie instead of the people behind the avie. The avie is a reflection of who the person is inside, who they really are and/or who they want to be. I could only get disappointed by knowing what the person behind avie looks like. 

SL is all based on the illusions we weave, knowing what someone looks like in RL breaks the illusion.

I was told back in the 90s that there was no girls on the internet.  And all the avies you see on any game or virtual world was one big guy sitting behind a wall of monitors playing boatloads of toons.

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I was told back in the 90s that there was no girls on the internet.  And all the avies you see on any game or virtual world was one big guy sitting behind a wall of monitors playing boatloads of toons.

There are plenty of G.I.R.L.s

Guy In Real Life 😄 

• Haha 3

On 8/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, Bagnu said:

Exactly!!! And that's my entire point!!! I know your a dragon in SL, and that's how I want to know you. One of my best friends inworld found it strange when I changed my head, and I really feel somewhat uncomfortable when a good friend changes as well.

For many people, of whom I am one, keeping our facial appearance the same is extremely important, because we, and others, associate that face with this person. That's what made changing to mesh heads hard for many of us. It's easy to have a nice-looking face with a mesh head, but it's very difficult and time-consuming to have a particular face. I spent countless hours fruitlessly attempting to get various demo mesh heads to look like "me.": Finally, a very generous person volunteered to help me, and even gave me a shape that was close. Even with that much help, I spent a full day with my new avatar standing next to an alt that was identical to my old avatar tweaking shape sliders. Now that we are getting another generation of mesh heads, I realize with dread that I need to do it all over again, and that I will need to repeatedly in the future.

4 hours ago, Eruka Nova said:

Plot twist: discovered someone more attractive RL than his SL avi(full mesh and all) lol

and then every other SL interaction paled in comparison to his RL self.

I honestly wish everyone this experience at least once. ^^

That would be nice but both need to look attractive, not just one. Being a man doesn't necessarily mean you will date in RL every woman you talk to..

Anyway it does feel good when you know you interact with a person that you consider physically attractive even if its just a friend you spend time together in SL or whatever.

Screenshot_2020-08-12_01-35-07.thumb.png.71f56bb4633ae639684fd8cae54f9d3f.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.