Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, JanuarySwan said:

I can only speak for myself, Janet.  We didn't hear about it or it wasn't talked about.   Plus, pre-internet maybe of which the internet is also considered the information age.  Our community sadly had it's highest crime rate in domestic violence and speeding tickets which is a rather hush-hush kind of thing as far as domestic violence.  My significant other at the time told me that about our community.   It was a peaceful community.  I was just living my life like anyone else, though I'm not much of a news watcher for the last ten years or so.  

I figured people that come from countries with small black populations aren't very aware or wouldn't have much of an opinion about it yesterday. So I was asking, what are people in other countries seeing on the news. That was your response. So let me ask you, as someone who hasn't watched the news in 10 years, where are you getting your information from?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

By who?

Many people in this thread.  

This thread is for BLM police oppression.  If I am white, I don't know a personal thing about it nor is it of any relevance.   White oppression from The Police is not of relevance here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JanuarySwan said:
11 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

By who?

Many people in this thread.  

This thread is for BLM police oppression.  If I am white, I don't know a personal thing about it nor is it of any relevance.   White oppression from The Police is not of relevance here. 

What has been discouraged, is those who come in with very little concern for Blacks and talk nearly exclusively about the faults of the BLM and the protests.  One can glean from this that there's a good chance they aren't really concerned about Black oppression, or don't even believe Black oppression is real today.

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I figured people that come from countries with small black populations aren't very aware or wouldn't have much of an opinion about it yesterday. So I was asking, what are people in other countries seeing on the news. That was your response. So let me ask you, as someone who hasn't watched the news in 10 years, where are you getting your information from?

What information?  The thread was moving so fast, I could not keep up with it.  

Just now, Janet Voxel said:

Where are you getting your information about this topic from?

It's here Janet and I don't feel the necessity to call out specific names.  This is a thread to speak about BLM police oppression, and, if I'm not black, I cannot know.  However, it is actually a thread about BLM support in SL really though.  

So, it's best to get back upon that topic really as the OP has asked.    

Just now, JanuarySwan said:

It's here Janet and I don't feel the necessity to call out specific names.  This is a thread to speak about BLM police oppression, and, if I'm not black, I cannot know.  However, it is actually a thread about BLM support in SL really though.  

So, it's best to get back upon that topic really as the OP has asked.    

I'm just curious about where your getting your information from is all. So, you're getting your information from a message board. Understood.

Thank you for answering honestly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Where are you getting your information about this topic from?

Oh, where am I getting my information about BLM and the protests.  Internet news; talking to real life people - family, friends, neighbors.

But, again, this is for support of BLM in SL and how we might show that support.  

I draw most of the time in real life so I listen to music.  I only may like TV for a few sports I like especially Basketball.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

Just now, JanuarySwan said:

Oh, where am I getting my information about BLM and the protests.  Internet news; talking to real life people - family, friends, neighbors.

But, again, this is for support of BLM in SL and how we might show that support.  

No, no...I understand where you're coming from. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dano Seale said:

Scylla wants to get this thread back onto how we can all support BLM, I'd agree (for the sake of everyones sanity!), but the plain fact is that it should have shut down the moment Ashlyn answered my question on, if black people even WANT white support?
Her answer was plain for everyone to see and take notice of - white people have no dog in this fight..."It's not your fight!" I haven't seen another black person here or anywhere else contradict that statement. 
All that's happening now, is white people battling white people, anger, frustration, misunderstandings, labelling, speculation, "brigading" (many ganging up on one) and friends becoming enemies! The messege was crystal clear, black people don't want our support, help or interference! 

Maybe you missed my comments then lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yeah i wonder how thatcomes ...oh wait... intollerance for other opinions,... where  did that happen too?..Think about that.

When those other opinions involve intolerance of a subset of the population due to the way they were born, no, I won't be tolerant. It's not enough to not be racist anymore - we have to be anti-racist. If that makes a racist mad, tough. 

Paradox of Tolerance

Her answer was plain for everyone to see and take notice of - white people have no dog in this fight..."It's not your fight!" I haven't seen another black person here or anywhere else contradict that statement. 

Ashlyn was very clear that she was speaking only for herself.

If one person can speak for an entire race, who is the voice for the white folks? Trump? Boris? Taylor Swift? You? You certainly don't speak for me, and you know that, so why does Ashlyn speak for all black people? I also expect you haven't looked very hard if you haven't seen another black person here or anywhere else contradict her. 

All that's happening now, is white people battling white people, anger, frustration, misunderstandings, labelling, speculation, "brigading" (many ganging up on one) and friends becoming enemies!

Hard times call for hard conversations. No one ever said change was going to be pretty. I attempted to explain the meaning in my very poorly-chosen words. I need to do better at considering that my words might be crystal clear in my head, but that doesn't mean anyone else can decipher my word-vomit unless I spell it out, especially in loaded, heated conversations like we've had in this thread.

I messed up, and I feel like sh*t about that. My words were also twisted into something utterly vile due to those heated emotions. Call that a backwards apology if you want - I am truly sorry I hurt a friend with my carelessly and stupidly chosen words, but that friend also didn't give me a chance to explain before jumping to the worst possible conclusion as to my meaning. Misunderstanding is a two-way street. I picked the absolute wrong words - I own that. She didn't give me a chance to explain what I was really trying to say. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference. Now we'll never know. 

Americans (not "1st Nation" people Selene, I know) are all extremely proud of how their Nation was formed and often (for "often" read - all the time! lol) give us Brit's crap about it, either playfully or angrily depending on situation.

America was formed long before the American Revolution, and this American isn't proud of it at all. I think it's pretty damn disgusting, but go ahead and speak not only for all white people, but all Americans as well - even though you aren't one. If you're referring to the American Revolution, though, this American also thinks we'd probably be a lot better off if we'd lost the war. 

The fact of the matter, Dano, is that you and Alwin aren't Americans, you don't live here, and you really have no idea how black people are treated by American police because you base your opinions on how the police in your countries operate. The way our police operate is so far removed from the way your police operate that you can't imagine how deep corruption and hatred are embedded in the systems that form the basis of policing in America, and how the police unions have made it so that it's damn near impossible to clean it up. They collect millions of dollars in dues every year and use that to fight any legislation that would support any kind of oversight, not only through lobbying, but "donations" to elected officials to rule against that legislation - If there is one thing our politicians are excellent at here in the states, it's taking what are essentially bribes.  

I can't understand how black people are treated by the police either. I'm a white middle class woman that lives on the right side of the tracks (in Louisville, that's the 9th Street Divide), but what I can do is listen, and believe, and support the black community when they tell me that the cops treat them different than they treat me. 

Police brutality isn't just a black people's problem, no. We see the news daily of these protests and cops beating the living hell out of white people, too. What it boils down to, though, is that when the police are dealing with black people, they make an early assumption that physical force is going to be necessary, no matter how innocuous the encounter is. Their posture is different, their bodies are tensed, their hand will be on their holster, and the attitude and manner of speaking is entirely different from their attitude and manner of speaking with me. 

That's just the simple truth of the state of policing in America. 

Edited by Beth Macbain
Removed one unnecessary word (that)
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

No, no...I understand where you're coming from. Thank you.

YW.  About all I really understand is it's a corrupt system of power.   However, we know our Police forces are people of all color.  How, where, when, why it will all change I don't know yet but it won't happen overnight.  I will keep watching and observing that is for sure.   Some old laws do need to be over-turned though, imo, laws that are old and archaic and religious such as gambling and prostitution for which I feel that is people's own money and not a police matter as it's not their money nor their business.   I also agree with legalization of marijuana and the vilification of all people who may smoke marijuana needs to go away.  Some of these laws do tend to vilify all people if once charged.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

15 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

America was formed long before the American Revolution, and this American isn't proud of it at all. I think it's pretty damn disgusting, but go ahead and speak not only for all white people, but all Americans as well - even though you aren't one. If you're referring to the American Revolution, though, this American also thinks we'd probably be a lot better off if we'd lost the war. 

Beth, if not for the success of the American Revolution, it's quite likely most of the Americas (plural) would still be colonial possessions of European powers, as many of the subsequent revolutions were patterned after ours and/or took inspiration from ours, and the Monroe Doctrine (which made it US policy to oppose colonialism in the New World) would never have come into play, and without the success of the revolution in the US there may have been no successful revolution in France (which led to their invasion of Spain, which greatly enabled the revolutions in South America).  Heck, it's possible that, with the American South still in British possession, Britain would have been less progressive to ban slavery, as they would have had a much bigger economic interest in its continuation.

Besides, you're perfectly free to move to England if you really think you'd be better off as a British citizen than an American, which you would be had we lost the war.

9 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Besides, you're perfectly free to move to England if you really think you'd be better off as a British citizen than an American, which you would be had we lost the war.

Already working on my duel dual citizenship application! I'm already half British so I've only got a little bit more to go!

Edited by Beth Macbain
Incorrect word usage.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

it's quite likely most of the Americas (plural) would still be colonial possessions of European powers

Right! Just like Canada, which never had a revolution, is . . .

Oh. Wait.

It's completely valid to seek out the historic causes of racism in the US. Some of those are unquestionably embedded in the particular negotiations that occurred between north and south American colonies in the Revolution, and some of that in turn was imprinted into the US Constitution.

However, the British certainly do not get exoneration. The profits they made from the slave trade in the 18th century helped finance the Industrial Revolution and their empire.

• Like 2

JSTOR, which is a non-profit database and repository of (mostly) academic writing on a huge variety of subjects, has made available a really invaluable "syllabus" of resources on the history and nature of institutional racism. I haven't checked all of links, but this is, I think, all open-access stuff, and it's very good indeed. There is a lot of information and thoughtful analysis here.

https://daily.jstor.org/institutionalized-racism-a-syllabus/

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's a shame there's nothing in Article 2 of the Constitution about mandatory drug testing.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.