How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't know what that has to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing, just as you basing your thesis of hurtful humour on what your dad.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Absolutely nothing, just as you basing your thesis of hurtful humour on what your dad.

No, it's fairly well known what low brow (hurtful types) of humor are as is what is called "trash" humor which happened in latter half of the 20th Century.  

You can look it up.  

But, yes, my family and others in the business had discussions about the different types of humor.  

Edited by FairreLilette

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:
43 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't know what that has to do with anything?

She was simply saying she liked her dad's humor that is not hurtful, better.  It was an example, and an affirmation of her father. She wasn't saying her type is humor is best because her father said it was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Some might say this sort of behavior fits the definition of trolling. 🤔

Could be, and I do get sucked in by this kind of thing sometimes because it just seems...so...genuinely dense and stubborn and ‘un-self-aware’ I guess? Beyond oblivious. Ah well...I give up, not my problem and I’ve said my say. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I love cat companions in stories. One of my favourites is Tamora Pierce's Faithful/Pounce, a celestial being incarnated as a cat that appears in two of her YA fiction series; he's sarcastic as hell, but also abidingly loyal (and magical).

And then there's Jiji, from Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service (from the novel of the same name by  Eiko Kadono), who is the skeptical, sharp-tongued, but loving companion of the 13-year old protagonist.

Meanwhile, back in the world of "the great unwashed", we have the GOAT!

garfield-don-t-know-don-t-care-i5064.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

It has to do with Implying you know more about something in a conversation via an irrelevant reference and getting called out on it.

My mother is a psychologist but it just lets me know how much I do NOT know, not tells me I have some special knowledge. 

humor...is...subjective. We get it, there are specific things you do not find funny... you told us, and then told us again a few more times...saying it in yet another way one more time is not getting your point across, it’s just annoying more and more people. You can’t see this? 

^^ Everything Fauve said!

Also, as I explained earlier, NVC (Non-Violent Communication) teaches one to better look at things we say. Like stating something is "based around hurt." That is not an observation, but an evaluation. That statement already contains a judgmenent, as it were. And then ppl proceed to say like "Hurtful humor isnt funny" -- as if it has already been established those engaging in such humor are deliberately hurting ppl. But as Fauve said, humor is subjective. What Fairre may think is hurtful is entirely valid... but only to HER. And it shouldn't be passed off as a universal truth; because, in doing so, you're accusing others in the process -- causing them to naturally, push back, or outright disown the accusation.

And that is why I like NVC: it helps you to get to understand your own speech and motives a but more. Because, yes, 'know your audience' is a good thing; but 'know thyself' is even better.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

She was simply saying she liked her dad's humor that is not hurtful, better.  It was an example, and an affirmation of her father. She wasn't saying her type is humor is best because her father said it was.

No, I learned about the different types of humor from my Dad and Mom and others in the business as we had discussions about it if you read my posts above.  

We had to talk because some of my Dad's work was adult only and he had four daughters who couldn't always go to see Dad perform.  So, discussions happened.  Plus if your parent has a passion about something as do their friends, there is talk about it.   I never experienced any "hurt" type of humor via my Dad nor his colleagues and it was the best humor.  

But, I finally saw the piece of Jesus Toast...nah is about all I can say.  The Trump toast was a little bit funny but it's more the frown on the Trump toast that was kind of funny.  

4 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Also, as I explained earlier, NVC (Non-Violent Communication) teaches one to better look at things we say. Like stating something is "based around hurt." That is not an observation, but an evaluation. That statement already contains a judgmenent, as it were.

But making fun of others is based on hurt. With the 'god speaks to me through toast' people we are saying (usually) they are being stupid. That's a hurtful thing to do to another, to tell them their beliefs are stupid.  The only question really is whether that is okay to do. I believe in some cases it's okay to be hurtful if it serves a greater purpose (bringing them back to reality). But if we are making fun of them only to make ourselves feel superior, or to feel gleeful about stamping someone down, well that's not okay.

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sometimes people do this when they feel nobody is affirming their perspective. They try to repeat it in different ways in the hope somebody will finally understand.  No need to take it personally and think it's an attack against you.

Yes, of course most of us will reframe occasionally. But when you repeat yourself multiple times in multiple threads on multiple topics and are still misunderstood in the same old ways but by different people, you also shouldn’t be surprised when you get handed a mirror.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

No, I learned about the different types of humor from my Dad and Mom and others in the business as we had discussions about it if you read my posts above.  

We had to talk because some of my Dad's work was adult only and he had four daughters who couldn't always go to see Dad perform.  So, discussions happened.  Plus if your parent has a passion about something as do their friends, there is talk about it.   I never experienced any "hurt" type of humor via my Dad nor his colleagues and it was the best humor.  

But, I finally saw the piece of Jesus Toast...nah is about all I can say.  The Trump toast was a little bit funny but it's more the frown on the Trump toast that was kind of funny.  

Sounds like an interesting way to grow up, and I can see you've explored humor a LOT.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But making fun of others is based on hurt. With the 'god speaks to me through toast' people we are saying (usually) they are being stupid.

I can already easily falsify that statement, as I'm a Christian myself, and I thought the toasts were hairsplittingly funny. :) So, it's quite obviously a subjective matter. Some ppl chose to find those images hurtful. And that it their prerogative, of course. But it's a far, far stretch from concluding ppl were setting out to hurt others. I completely and utterly disown that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Okay Orwar but your Dad's job didn't involve American censorship.  If data analysis has censorship in it, I doubt he would have told his kids because it would have been private.

American censorship has often been discussed in my family as my Dad was perhaps one of the first to offer a religious type of humor with the Maharishi Yogi humor.  It was a big deal believe it or not with the American censors.  We HAD to talk about it as a family because it would be public.

My family and I have had discussions regarding American censorship and religious humor.  It was very mine-field ground at the time.  Things changed a bit with cable TV and the internet and censors "loosened" but still I see a lot of religious humor on FB and it's one of the reasons I left FB but not because of offense but because of cliches.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But making fun of others is based on hurt. With the 'god speaks to me through toast' people we are saying (usually) they are being stupid.

I can already easily falsify that statement, as I'm a Christian myself, and I thought the toasts were hairsplittingly funny. :) So, it's quite obviously a subjective matter. Some ppl chose to find those images hurtful. And that it their prerogative, of course. But it's a far, far stretch from concluding ppl were setting out to hurt others. I completely and utterly disown that.

You should have included my entire quote, which was:

"But making fun of others is based on hurt. With the 'god speaks to me through toast' people we are saying (usually) they are being stupid. That's a hurtful thing to do to another, to tell them their beliefs are stupid.  The only question really is whether that is okay to do. I believe in some cases it's okay to be hurtful if it serves a greater purpose (bringing them back to reality). But if we are making fun of them only to make ourselves feel superior, or to feel gleeful about stamping someone down, well that's not okay. "

I take you at your word that you did not deliberately set out to hurt others. I find the toast phenomenon funny too. But we are basing our humor on not understanding where another is coming from, and in some cases seeking to take them down a notch. The result is hurtful for those who believe god talks to them in signs.

12 hours ago, roseelvira said:

And is it wrong that what my husband s near death and every thing i witnessed at his icu bedside and eveything that happend is it wrong or not normal for me to be  a bit sensitive to things at this time  i am just asking  very softly 

Rose, you were one of a few people who IMed me condolences after the passing of my mother. I'm grateful for that. It was a lovely gesture and it helped. I understand that you are highly religious. You've demonstrate what's best about religion, caring for others.

I'm an atheist (to within some inevitable degree of uncertainty) and have a fairly wicked sense of humor. In the last conversation I had with Mom, we were joking about her impending death. It's what the McMasters family does in the face of tragedy. In RL, the people closest to me have cracked jokes about Mom's passing that have made me laugh out loud. They understand me, Mom, and the "McMasters way", and honor her memory in that way. I hope I am sensitive enough to guide my humor around your pain, like helping hands, to lift your spirit, not crush it.

I am in agreement with Scylla on subjecting religion to humor. Religion, like athiesm, science, politics, sex, etc., are human endeavors. I can't think of anything funnier than... human endeavors, particularly sex. The more seriously we take these subjects and ourselves, the more ripe they are for the sharp eye of satire. Satire. Not sarcasm. Laughter with, not laughter at. Though we have vastly different beliefs, I suspect we both share one. Laughter is good medicine, maybe not the best, but still good. I've often commented on Mom's drift from Catholicism to the "it's all good" sentiment of the local Unitarian church in search of the best potluck dinners. She was searching for the sense of community that both religion and the sharing of food can bring. My humor is not intended to denigrate, but rather to illuminate the human condition with a warm, yet revealing, light.

For what it's worth ($30, and naught more than some potential small legal recognition) I'm an ordained minister of Universal Life Church, registered with the State of Wisconsin. Though my "ministry" is a bit tongue-in-cheek, I'll preside over Mom's funeral and the wedding of my cousin this summer with all the thoughtful consideration those events deserve. Mom's life was full of laughter. I hope my cousin and his wife will share a long future together, filled with laughter. They picked me because they both love irony and could imagine nothing more amusing than being married by a smart-ass atheist who preaches their own most cherished belief, kindness to others. Whether I send people home laughing or crying, my goal is to celebrate the lives, past and future, of the people involved and the little communities that surround them.

I'm thinking about you and your husband. I hope that, no matter how it goes, the two of you still have some laughter left to share.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sometimes people do this when they feel nobody is affirming their perspective. They try to repeat it in different ways in the hope somebody will finally understand.  No need to take it personally and think it's an attack against you.

Yes, of course most of us will reframe occasionally. But when you repeat yourself multiple times in multiple threads on multiple topics and are still misunderstood in the same old ways but by different people, you also shouldn’t be surprised when you get handed a mirror.

Sometimes they need a mirror, but sometimes not. Sometimes a mirror simply does no good.

I worked with autistic people and so understand that not everybody can learn in the way we expect (there are other causes of this too, everybody's brain is different, and I'm certainly not saying I know our person of discussion here is autistic).

I simply don't believe that if I can't get through to someone they are 'out to get me' or trolling.  I entertain the idea that it's possible they might be doing the best they can while I still, in the best way possible, continue to provide that mirror.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

You should have included my entire quote, which was:

"But making fun of others is based on hurt. With the 'god speaks to me through toast' people we are saying (usually) they are being stupid. That's a hurtful thing to do to another, to tell them their beliefs are stupid.  The only question really is whether that is okay to do. I believe in some cases it's okay to be hurtful if it serves a greater purpose (bringing them back to reality). But if we are making fun of them only to make ourselves feel superior, or to feel gleeful about stamping someone down, well that's not okay. "

I take you at your word that you did not deliberately set out to hurt others. I find the toast phenomenon funny too. But we are basing our humor on not understanding where another is coming from, and in some cases seeking to take them down a notch. The result is hurtful for those who believe god talks to them in signs.

Here’s something from my own experience. When a priest has said that ‘God speaks in the everyday’ he has deliberately made a reference to ridiculing things like the toast signs, and references it as a perfectly normal reaction because to someone who is not taking it as a sign, it is a bit ridiculous and that is OK, it is their interpretation, the toast is not ‘speaking to them’ as it were. It’s like seeing things in clouds or thinking a vegetable resembles something else. Not a denigration of someone’s faith to think seeing Jesus in toast is ridiculous. Plus Jesus did have an affinity for good bread, it’s referenced. 

I know a Latina who has a great big Buddha in her dressing room. She feeds him rice every day and swears he makes her lucky at weekly bingo and if she skips feeding him, she loses more. She’s a great Catholic but sees the huge humor in herself with that idol. People are funny. What they do is funny. It’s not always meant as a hurtful thing to acknowledge that and often times it even brings discussion of weird things we have seen, giving a feeling of closeness, not hurt or ridicule. So there’s always another side.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LunaRavencroft said:

Just answering this based off the topic title alone, I prefer my humor and comedy to have as much religion in it as I would like ketchup in my  ice cream. I don't want, nor would I like ketchup in my ice cream, at all.

Tomato soup though is really ketchup and cream, usually with a little sugar, so same ingredients.

And I'm just being silly...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.