How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

and will they? 

But I'm not really interested in either of the subjects, I just like pushing buttons. Much quicker to sort people out that way. 

Anyone can hold a polite conversation within the boundaries of social convention, it doesn't tell you half as much about someone as to see what happens when you drop them off at the deep and see how they deal with it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

As a Christian, all I will say is that making fun of the habits of the faith is not degrading the faith.

Let me help you, in some churches, they may not replace 50 year old lightbulbs because they are resistant to change.

Why, as the therapist told the lightbulb "I can only help you if you want to change!" 😊

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

But I'm not really interested in either of the subjects, I just like pushing buttons. Much quicker to sort people out that way. 

Anyone can hold a polite conversation within the boundaries of social convention, it doesn't tell you half as much about someone as to see what happens when you drop them off at the deep and see how they deal with it. 

I don’t deal too well with getting my buttons pushed right off the bat so you don’t really get a good impression of me if you start that way. Not saying it’s a bad way but I react to these topics very differently in conversation with people I’ve gotten to know so I can’t think I’m the only one like that. Not a criticism, just an observation. And I’m also chagrined to say that many people either cannot or will not hold that first polite conversation without straying into either complaining, comparing, judging or other tiresome behaviors right off the bat which tells me something about them for sure. It’s not that I hold myself in some queenly reserve, more like ‘if you cannot at least do the pleasantries, how are you recommending yourself as a person who might be good to talk to about deeper things as a potential friend’? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't really understand why you'd want to test someone like this right from the off. What are they supposed to have to prove to anyone? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What are they supposed to have to prove to anyone? 

Whether they're worth my time, obviously. 

If a person's instinctive reaction to inappropriate behavior is outrage or 'being offended', chances are we're not going to get along very well. If you want a superficial and pretentious politeness rather than someone you can be yourself around, you go ahead and enjoy that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Orwar said:

Whether they're worth my time, obviously. 

Well, just remember that they're also assessing whether you're worth their time too. It's a two-way street.

I'm interested that you think any old schlub can easily hold a polite and mutually enjoyable conversation with someone they've never met and that it's not a skill. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm interested that you think any old schlub can easily hold a polite and mutually enjoyable conversation with someone they've never met and that it's not a skill. 

I never mentioned 'mutually enjoyable', but anyone can learn to behave and show some etiquette.

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Well, just remember that they're also assessing whether you're worth their time too. It's a two-way street.

And that's why it works so well - if they get upset and storm off, I don't have to tell them to get lost, do I? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We see people at the church sometimes just come in to argue about Christianity, all they want is a crowd to grandstand for.

Once the conversation makes its second rotation in circles, usually people ignore it.  People do things just to get a rise from others, and as long as people feed them what they want, they will continue to.

We just learned not to feed the argument.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Funny how that works. Generally I found, that for every button you push, 10 are pushing back. Especially on a forum.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kiramanell said:

3) This is the pertinent stage at hand here, as it's the phase where ppl have abandoned organized religion, and are free-thinkers, as it were. Feeling liberated from organized religion, rites, must-do's, fear-mongering and what not, ppl in this stage are often acting out rebelliously against organized religion. Not out of disrespect, but simply for finally being free, and letting 'them' know it. And I think that's a lot of what we're seeing here.

I've never been a member of any church or religion so no. I never will be either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I never mentioned 'mutually enjoyable', but anyone can learn to behave and show some etiquette.

I've been following along this sub-discussion and basically seeing both sides. But this line made me laugh out loud. The part that I highlighted above. My first thought upon reading this was, "Are you kidding? Have you read half of the people on this forum?"

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

"Are you kidding? Have you read half of the people on this forum?"

Yes, of course my point being that a whole lot of people are absolute failures in the eyes of civilized society and should be marooned on some barren corner of the world to fend for themselves as nature intended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Yes, of course my point being that a whole lot of people are absolute failures in the eyes of civilized society and should be marooned on some barren corner of the world to fend for themselves as nature intended. 

962198591_Iamsorry.jpg.bbbe1af610a17a3d3062774ee4d5743b.jpg

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

You guys still doing blood eagles over there? I'd vote for that...  (I watched a whole lotta Vikings in one sitting.)

Just now, Orwar said:

Oooooooooooooooooooh... it’s YOU!

I wouldn’t call you either of those things! Mainly because I agree with you. Does that make me those things, too? Since I don’t have the prerequisite male bits, I guess that would just translate to the big B word for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Gatogateau said:

You guys still doing blood eagles over there? I'd vote for that...  (I watched a whole lotta Vikings in one sitting.)

Unfortunately, no. Perhaps once I've claimed power, although I'm thinking Vlad III's method might be quicker, and there'll be a whole lot of people on the chopping block ...

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Oooooooooooooooooooh... it’s YOU!

I wouldn’t call you either of those things! Mainly because I agree with you. Does that make me those things, too? Since I don’t have the prerequisite male bits, I guess that would just translate to the big B word for me.

Yes, you utter bagel. 

No, that's why I like you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Unfortunately, no. Perhaps once I've claimed power, although I'm thinking Vlad III's method might be quicker, and there'll be a whole lot of people on the chopping block ...

Yes, you utter bagel. 

No, that's why I like you.

Please please please let that continue on as my nickname.

In my defense I’ve been battling a headache all afternoon so my brain was foggy and the connections weren’t connecting. Now I can go lie down with my bag of frozen peas over my eyes and pray for it to go away.

Just kidding... I took drugs. I find they work better on my headaches. 

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

In my defense I’ve been battling a headache all afternoon so my brain was foggy and the connections weren’t connecting. Now I can go lie down with my bag of frozen peas over my eyes and pray for it to go away.

Just kidding... I took drugs. I find they work better on my headaches. 

Hi Bagel where you been hiding? C'mere I'm hongry. CHOMP!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It's a little bit too affectionate for my taste. But it does sound tasty. Perhaps if you'll let me have a nibble on occasion? 

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.