How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

My opinion: No one needs to know who or why someone blocks another and frankly, 99% just don't care to know, whether they are on the list or not.

Yes but YOU keep bringing it up.  

I said it because of those whom I never blocked before would know as I wouldn't most likely reply and it's not really your need to keep re-hashing it.  This forum is half a mess.  Instead of privately IMing a few about it, I just stated it out in the open because this forum is a bit open at times and I didn't feel I needed to be all prim and proper and say it in IM's to let others know I need "a break" (a break is a short time). 

So, if you could drop it,  I would appreciate it.  Not to mention I said to take a break...a break is not a permanent thing. 

How you all got a break as a permanent thing, I'll never know but you do tend to fly off the handle a lot without reading or listening.  You could just put me on ignore also.  Geeeeeeeeeeeez! ! !

But, could you please drop it!

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 2

image.thumb.png.635f905b88d4fd60dce46e4c313e7b19.png

Absolutely ROTFL

What? I mean what? Dude... Seriously? I want some of what you're having...

Do you notice that my comment was made SEVEN HOURS ago? And I made it once. ONCE. :::just laughing::: So I "keep bringing it up"?

And now you're explaining for the eleventy eleventh time why you have to drag out the crap no one cares about. Did you read ANYone saying, "Oh thank you! I needed to know this important information SEVERAL times! Hugs!"? Because I sure didn't see anything like that by anyone, who found it the least bit educational. But ok, sweetie, you do you.

So your last line is just patently false. I DID drop it, seven HOURS ago, bless your little heart. And please, feel free to block me for about 10 years longer than you think is necessary, and I really don't need an explanation.

Thaaaaank youuuuuuuuu. ♥

PS. Yeah, I know folks, this will spark another 20 posts to "explain" and get in the last word here from She Who Has Blocked Someone. Sorry. But jeebus. And yeah, scroll scroll scroll

Edited by Gatogateau
laughing too hard while typing = typos
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

I just like pushing buttons. Much quicker to sort people out that way. 

3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:
4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Anyone can hold a polite conversation within the boundaries of social convention, it doesn't tell you half as much about someone as to see what happens when you drop them off at the deep and see how they deal with it. 

I don't really understand why you'd want to test someone like this right from the off. What are they supposed to have to prove to anyone? 

3 hours ago, Orwar said:
3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What are they supposed to have to prove to anyone? 

Whether they're worth my time, obviously. 

I have other methods to make that determination.

I just used one.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I just used one.

Mine involves esoteric knowledge of alternative methods beavers use to build their dams in unconventional habitats, and someone's ability to recite the lyrics to "Muskrat Love" without the Internet helping. Then I divide by three. I take that number of PINK rose petals and toss them in the air  and leave them there, while turning around clockwise twice, and then selecting the appropriate tarot card.  I've found it really useful.

Edited by Gatogateau
I have no idea what word I thought I was spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I just used one.

Me too.  One click and it's pretty "swift" too.  One click and while she sings Muskrat Love and throws rose petals in the air while day-dreaming she's cute.  I'm done.  Cool method.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

If a person's instinctive reaction to inappropriate behavior is outrage or 'being offended', chances are we're not going to get along very well. If you want a superficial and pretentious politeness 

It depends on the inappropriate behavior though.  

But, just to ask a question, what do you think of inworld griefers?   It may depend on the "what" of the griefing event; though inworld griefing could make for an interesting or nauseating topic.  Probably both.  

I'd prefer someone keep it to their own parcel with religious humor because for the most part it's not funny (it's not funny because it's full of cliches) and stirs up bad feelings in others.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

It depends on the inappropriate behavior though.  

But, just to ask a question, what do you think of inworld griefers?   It may depend on the "what" of the griefing event; though inworld griefing could make for an interesting or nauseating topic.  Probably both.  

I'd prefer someone keep it to their own parcel with religious humor because for the most part it's not funny and stirs up bad feelings in others.  

If someone is going to a church to cause trouble, they are asking for the people in the church to be offended.  They are equally asking begging to be banned too (which occasionally they then play the victim too).

It goes back to respecting others and common decency.  If you go to grief and cause trouble, don’t be surprised if you are sent flying and banned.

If it’s actual humor like my earlier lightbulb reference, then yes, people need to learn to have fun and relax a little.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

PS. Yeah, I know folks, this will spark another 20 posts to "explain" and get in the last word here from She Who Has Blocked Someone. Sorry. But jeebus. And yeah, scroll scroll scroll

And then after announcing you've been put on the ignore list, they make it clear they are still reading your posts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I sooo like that idea.

*off to find a good TS gif for the sig*

(To Sylvia saying she's gonna put a Taylor gif in her sigline)(because I still can't make embedded quotes)

For some reason that instantly made me start humming, "oooh look what you made me do, whatcha made me do, look what you made me do..."

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, just to ask a question, what do you think of inworld griefers?

Well, I think that both that question and the prior discussion appears a bit black and white.

Griefers whose only goal is to tick people off and waste their time, who do nothing constructive whatsoever, I generally don't treat very nicely (although to be honest, I barely see any). But things like nudging someone off the road when you drive by, or nudging someone off a ledge when they serve it up for you, can be amusing and doesn't necessarily have to be mean spirited - whereas using a gun to shoot particles or prims at people at such an extreme rate that their viewers crash, is just destructive.

Way back when, there was a game that I used to play wherein you could do various console commands to change your character's skin or colours, and most prominently, the colour of your lightsaber (t'was a Star Wars game), and a very common thing people did to crash servers was to make a macro to rapidly change colours (of course it was crude, and half of the time they crashed themselves before the server went down). That would be destructive griefing, in my book.

In the same game, a common thing to do with people who weren't as hi with console commands as you, was to tell them to write /disco in the console to do a cool dance (in fact the console auto-completed it to disconnect you from the server) or /qui gon jin to get a cool character skin (which auto-completed to quit the game) - and because everyone could see what you said to them on the server, and saw a message when people disconnected, everyone would see when you successfully tricked someone - that I'd consider more along the lines of harmless fun. You'd be frustrated for a minute, but when you got back to the server everyone would be in a cheery mood because of what they'd just seen.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

good stuff

Context, while maybe not everything, is close.

And then it is who is doing the perceiving, the giver or the getter. Obviously people have differing levels of tolerance. Judging another's intent is also difficult.

But it is often a matter of you know it when you see it kind of thing. There are many things that just about everyone would consider "too far." Then there's all the shades of gray in between. And I think this Forum is an excellent example of there is no absolutely universal "ok" thing, because no matter what someone does, there's that one person who will be offended forever.

ETA: The people who see things in only black and white, live such limited lives, and often get so much wrong.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 6

Atheists, Muslims, and born-again Christians have no sense of humour when it comes to religion.

You should be fine - normal Christians don't get upset with Jesus on toast or Walking Dead characters named Jesus, so why should they be upset about a Jesus avatar.

Besides, popular portrayals of Jesus look more or less like an average hipster today.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Atheists, Muslims, and born-again Christians have no sense of humour when it comes to religion.

You should be fine - normal Christians don't get upset with Jesus on toast or Walking Dead characters named Jesus, so why should they be upset about a Jesus avatar.

Besides, popular portrayals of Jesus look more or less like an average hipster today.

Wait. Wut? Atheists have no sense of humor when it comes to religion? Since when? Sure, every group has their dour members, and the extremists the same. So I would agree with the typical, extreme, born-again not having a sense of humor. But generic Muslims?  But I don't know what kind of atheists or agnostics you've been hanging out with, but all of them in my circle are hilarious.  So, yeah...to part of what you are saying, but a big no to other parts.

• Like 1

And is it wrong that what my husband s near death and every thing i witnessed at his icu bedside and eveything that happend is it wrong or not normal for me to be  a bit sensitive to things at this time  i am just asking  very softly 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

There is nothing wrong with being sensitive during stressful times. What would be wrong would be taking being sensitive out on others. You can't expect others to not "make merry" while you feel sensitive. You can't ask people to stop living their lives like that. It's simply not going to happen because people cannot stop living their lives, no matter what happens. Short of death obviously.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

And is it wrong that what my husband s near death and every thing i witnessed at his icu bedside and eveything that happend is it wrong or not normal for me to be  a bit sensitive to things at this time  i am just asking  very softly 

I'm saying this as gently as I can, "Yes, Rose, it is wrong for you to ask a bunch of people having a conversation to stop."

Clearly, you have a difficult RL situation. No one denies that. No one is happy about that. Many people are holding you and your husband in their prayers.

But that is one thing. This thread is another. This thread has nothing to do with your family or your faith. Your faith is strong. It can handle people having a conversation.

Clearly, THIS THREAD bothers you. You know it bothers you. We know and understand why it bothers you. But this is a public forum and people are using it. You do not have to be here, and clearly, you shouldn't be in this thread FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. Just don't click it. It isn't the end of the world for you not to see it.

• Like 10

Consider also that other people have things, sometimes very serious things, going on in their RLs as well. Maybe their way to handle the stress/grief/etc. is to distract themselves here with conversations they find amusing and diverting.

One never knows what anyone else here is going through offline unless they (like you do) tell everyone. Many people choose to keep RL info to themselves. It's safest not to assume that no one else has trouble in their lives, and that no one else is feeling sensitive about things. Your best bet is to try to avoid looking at things you know will only upset you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

No outrageous and utterly unsupportable generalizations here! Nope!

Hey! Can you tell us other things about "atheists," "born-again Christians," and "Muslims"? What else are they "like"?

Oh, and what is a "normal" Christian?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hey! Can you tell us other things about "atheists," "born-again Christians," and "Muslims"? What else are they "like"?

Eff. I wish you'd notify me upon which things you are going to comment, because then I can just sit back and see what you have to say. You said this better than I did. I'm going to hold with "extremists" but you can't make me define what I mean. :p

Edited by Gatogateau
effing grammar paranoia
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Eff. I wish you'd notify me upon which things you are going to comment, because then I can just sit back and see what you have to say. You said this better than I did. I'm going to hold with "extremists" but you can't make me define what I mean. 😛

I thought you did brilliantly.

For a cat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I wanted to know what was funny about Jesus on toast?  It's been brought up several times in this thread.  To me, I don't see the humor in Jesus on toast nor why that makes someone a "normal" Christian?  

It's lame and not even funny.  Someone presents me with a face of Jesus on toast and I am supposed to laugh?   Gawd, Toyla you should have met my Dad who was a professional comedian and a comedy writer to know what funny actually is and true professional humor does not include hurt.  Hurt is hurt.  But, toast?  Toast isn't even funny.  

I know some in England have a Benny Hill kind of humor sometimes...but I don't find Benny Hill funny either.  Monty Python absolutely hilarious.  But, Benny Hill, no...just no.  Dumb.  It's a kind of low brow humor with Benny and Jesus on toast if you ask me and low brow humor isn't funny to me.  Jesus on toast...ok..let's all laugh (sarcasm).  None of us including me, my friends nor my family would find any humor there unless it's supposed to be low brow humor of some kind.   In America, The Marx Brothers are a kind of low brow humor but they are a bit funny at times.  But, otherwise low brow humor completely escapes me as to what is actually even funny about it let alone Jesus on toast is supposed to be funny.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

Rose - for you own sanity, I'd advise you to stop reading this thread.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.