How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wish I still had the transcripts of when H and I would travel through SL. That's why Gato was created. He'd be in human form, in a terrific bathrobe, like in Hitchhiker, and I'd be the cat. I could talk, but would only talk to him. The cat was very droll and sarcastic (I know, shocker, right?), kind of an anti-Lassie, in that if H had fallen down a well and I was Lassie, I'd do my utmost to save him. As Gato, no so much. Sit on the edge of the well and taunt him, possibly tossing things on his head to watch them bounce ('cause cats do that). We'd wander, take pictures, kind of role play the characters but not too much... great fun.

But I digress, off topic and all.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

I wish I still had the transcripts of when H and I would travel through SL. That's why Gato was created. He'd be in human form, in a terrific bathrobe, like in Hitchhiker, and I'd be the cat. I could talk, but would only talk to him. The cat was very droll and sarcastic (I know, shocker, right?), kind of an anti-Lassie, in that if H had fallen down a well and I was Lassie, I'd do my utmost to save him. As Gato, no so much. Sit on the edge of the well and taunt him, possibly tossing things on his head to watch them bounce ('cause cats do that). We'd wander, take pictures, kind of role play the characters but not too much... great fun.

But I digress, off topic and all.

I love cat companions in stories. One of my favourites is Tamora Pierce's Faithful/Pounce, a celestial being incarnated as a cat that appears in two of her YA fiction series; he's sarcastic as hell, but also abidingly loyal (and magical).

And then there's Jiji, from Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service (from the novel of the same name by  Eiko Kadono), who is the skeptical, sharp-tongued, but loving companion of the 13-year old protagonist.

tumblr_n3zc1sJfDa1rmvkpdo1_500.gif

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't see the humor in Jesus on toast

The reference here, I think, is to the well-documented phenomenon of people "seeing" the face of Jesus in a piece of toast. And in many other things. (The Virgin Mary is also a frequent guest star in random foodstuffs and odd places). The scientific term for this is pareidolia; people might also refer to it, more generally, as an instance of the gestalt, which is the tendency of the human mind to assemble apparently random data into patterns (in this case, faces).

g6SeLRLZgPdboZbEN3Hvw3-650-80.jpg
What's funny is not so much the phenomenon itself (which is, as I say, common to all humans), but rather the awed reaction of the more gullible who take it seriously, call it a "miracle" or a "sign," etc. You can read more about the scientific research on this here:

https://www.livescience.com/45414-brain-face-pareidolia.html

I quite concur about Benny Hill, btw. Although he was quite funny in the original version of The Italian Job.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I love cat companions in stories. One of my favourites is Tamora Pierce's Faithful/Pounce, a celestial being incarnated as a cat that appears in two of her YA fiction series; he's sarcastic as hell, but also abidingly loyal (and magical).

And then there's Jiji, from Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service (from the novel of the same name by  Eiko Kadono), who is the skeptical, sharp-tongued, but loving companion of the 13-year old protagonist.

tumblr_n3zc1sJfDa1rmvkpdo1_500.gif

Those sound lovely, and a springboard to some mild role play. Thank you. I will check them out.

As to the periodolia, I'm sorry... just ... like... I think you missed your target audience with that one. :/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

image.thumb.png.635f905b88d4fd60dce46e4c313e7b19.png

Absolutely ROTFL

What? I mean what? Dude... Seriously? I want some of what you're having...

Do you notice that my comment was made SEVEN HOURS ago? And I made it once. ONCE. :::just laughing::: So I "keep bringing it up"?

And now you're explaining for the eleventy eleventh time why you have to drag out the crap no one cares about. Did you read ANYone saying, "Oh thank you! I needed to know this important information SEVERAL times! Hugs!"? Because I sure didn't see anything like that by anyone, who found it the least bit educational. But ok, sweetie, you do you.

So your last line is just patently false. I DID drop it, seven HOURS ago, bless your little heart. And please, feel free to block me for about 10 years longer than you think is necessary, and I really don't need an explanation.

Thaaaaank youuuuuuuuu. ♥

PS. Yeah, I know folks, this will spark another 20 posts to "explain" and get in the last word here from She Who Has Blocked Someone. Sorry. But jeebus. And yeah, scroll scroll scroll

And now YOU brought it up again! And now, in quoting you, *I* brought it up again. 😁 Arghhhh.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The reference here, I think, is to the well-documented phenomenon of people "seeing" the face of Jesus in a piece of toast. And in many other things. (The Virgin Mary is also a frequent guest star in random foodstuffs and odd places). The scientific term for this is pareidolia; people might also refer to it, more generally, as an instance of the gestalt, which is the tendency of the human mind to assemble apparently random data into patterns (in this case, faces).

What's funny is not so much the phenomenon itself (which is, as I say, common to all humans), but rather the awed reaction of the more gullible who take it seriously, call it a "miracle" or a "sign," etc. You can read more about the scientific research on this here:

I quite concur about Benny Hill, btw. Although he was quite funny in the original version of The Italian Job.

And I heard last week someone spotted this dude sweating Elvis thru his T-shirt. 😛 True story.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I suspect it's very similar to a true Scotsman.

I am apparently thinking a lot about Dr. Johnson these days!

From his Dictionary (1755):

“Oats. A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am apparently thinking a lot about Dr. Johnson these days!

From his Dictionary (1755):

“Oats. A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.”

My most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I never saw The Italian Job.   If Benny Hill was on, I left the building.  I think Chico Marx is funny with his Italian accent though don't care much for Groucho nor Three Stooges type of humor either.    

I was thinking about humor and it's various forms...later in the 20th Century there was a kind of garbage or trash humor that I think most religious humor falls into if it's in bad taste.  The type of religious low brow humor that is just the same old re-hashed cliches isn't funny either; it's just cliche and mostly a groaner.   A groaner doesn't mean that the person is bad; it means the joke failed and is dumb, so it receives a groan.

I still don't see Jesus on toast as funny.  Trump on toast?  Is that funny a bit maybe?  Probably for a second because it would be different.  

The appearance of Jesus humor I'd say doesn't even exist in California.   "Elvis sighting" went on for decades though.  Elvis sighting jokes were fairly popular here but it's gotten old too.  

But, what about Trump on toast?   Funny, maybe slightly but it wasn't a big ha-ha funny when I saw this searching Jesus on Toast images on Google.   Trump on toast to keep going on about as so totally funny...probably would not happen.  My opinion of Jesus on Toast now that I've seen it...well, it did not get a laugh from me.  It's not funny.  

trump.jpeg

Edited by FairreLilette

31 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Repetition... 

I don’t think anyone was trying to convince you that something is funny if you do not find it so but surely you do realize that there is a world of humor that some find hilarious that leaves others blinking and thinking ‘wut’ too? Many styles in fact. I do not *like* insult comedy and it does not make me laugh but I absolutely understand/comprehend why other people find it funny and more importantly, I do not dig my heels in like a pig in a poke and keep repeating ‘not funny, not funny’. We all like different things, we all perceive things differently according to our personal (and often cultural) histories... so why not just come to an understanding about it and let people have their Jesus Toast? sheesh. 
Another reason some of us find Jesus Toast funny is the odd propensity for otherwise very skeptical people to superstitiously believe things like Jesus Toast are some kind of sign or portent. Also your interpretation of humor is very dismissive and a groaner is not a failed joke per se but actually a comedic device to bond the audience together in their reaction so that following jokes get a better aggregate crowd reception. 

In short, there are lots of other perspectives in every given situation and you seem to consistently wear blinders and just repeat yourself as a pattern in your posts rather than seeking understanding. I think that might be why you seem to be in a perpetual state of confusion when it comes to other people. Not everyone thinks like you, far from it if posts here are some indication... so not everyone will be correctly understood if you continue to only interpret them through your single lens. If your goal is understanding others somewhat in general conversation, maybe broaden your focus? 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Yeah, well, my dad is a data analyst, so, I know how to ... Count. Or something. So there! 

6UW3Jsl.gif

I don't know what that has to do with anything?  But, as far as humor, the humor that involves hurt is low brow or trash humor like The Three Stooges hurting each other.  I don't find hurt or hurting others funny.  Even as a kid, I didn't like it in cartoons as many cartoons are based around hurting one another.  

My Dad was an impersonator.  His impersonation of the Maharishi Yogi was hysterically funny but it wasn't based around hurt.  Though I don't know if people in India would have liked it too much.  Why because it's just not a correct thing to do to an Indian audience.  

But, another thing I can say is there is "cultural" humor.  One country likes it and thinks it funny while another country could find it offensive.  

Humor is an art form; but it's also part science, know your audience.  

Edited by FairreLilette

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't know what that has to do with anything?  But, as far as humor, the humor that involves hurt is low brow or trash humor like The Three Stooges hurting each other.  I don't find hurt or hurting others funny.  Even as a kid, I didn't like it in cartoons as many cartoons are based around hurting one another.  

My Dad was an impersonator.  His impersonation of the Maharishi Yogi was hysterically funny but it wasn't based around hurt.  Though I don't know if people in India would have liked it too much.  Why because it's just not a correct thing to do to an Indian audience.  

But, another thing I can say is there is "cultural" humor.  One country likes it and thinks it funny while another country could find it offensive.  

Humor is an art form; know your audience.  

It has to do with Implying you know more about something in a conversation via an irrelevant reference and getting called out on it.

My mother is a psychologist but it just lets me know how much I do NOT know, not tells me I have some special knowledge. 

humor...is...subjective. We get it, there are specific things you do not find funny... you told us, and then told us again a few more times...saying it in yet another way one more time is not getting your point across, it’s just annoying more and more people. You can’t see this? 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I got to thinking about the Jesus avatar that the OP started.  Well, if you read the OP, the OP says he changed his mind so isn't going to do it.

I think most sims would not appreciate it because first of all we are guests and second of all they have guests.  I think a Jesus avatar would be annoying to the sim owners; some may take offense, some may think it's simply an annoyance.  However, SL evolves just like everything else.  What used to be considered not allowed on moderate is now allowed on moderate for an example...tolerance evolves just like everything else, though some things it's still walking on egg shell territory and for the most part doesn't really change or is very slow to change.  

But where I think a Jesus avatar might be appropriate is on a role play sim where each person wears an avatar of a being whom lived.  There could be a Marilyn Monroe avatar, a Trump avatar, and Jesus avatar, a whomever avatar but it has to be a real person because the purpose would be to be that person in how they would actually think, react and or speak.  Each one in their character doing their best to actually speak as that person.  I think I might find that interesting.  Plus, people would go there fully knowing what they are getting into to.  

10 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

It has to do with Implying you know more about something in a conversation via an irrelevant reference and getting called out on it.

My mother is a psychologist but it just lets me know how much I do NOT know, not tells me I have some special knowledge. 

humor...is...subjective. We get it, there are specific things you do not find funny... you told us, and then told us again a few more times...saying it in yet another way one more time is not getting your point across, it’s just annoying more and more people. You can’t see this? 

Some might say this sort of behavior fits the definition of trolling. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, as far as humor, the humor that involves hurt is low brow or trash humor like The Three Stooges hurting each other.  I don't find hurt or hurting others funny.  Even as a kid, I didn't like it in cartoons as many cartoons are based around hurting one another.  

I tend to like silly types of humor better, as well as clever types, and not appreciate the "low-brow" or crude types that mainly seek to hurt others as well. However, this can be difficult to sort out. Take for example the 'god is speaking to me through toast' phenomenon. This could be seen as insulting to the rest of society when some set themselves far above others to such a great degree that they believe god is talking to them through these 'signs' but not to others. And so the humor, the making fun of them, is simply a bit of a slap back.
Society tends to be harsh toward those it sees as living in delusion, or those with too much self-importance.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

you told us, and then told us again a few more times...saying it in yet another way one more time is not getting your point across, it’s just annoying more and more people. You can’t see this? 

Sometimes people do this when they feel nobody is affirming their perspective. They try to repeat it in different ways in the hope somebody will finally understand.  No need to take it personally and think it's an attack against you.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.