Nostalgia Trip - Dig out your Memories - good or bad

Marigold Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love digging through boxes of old photos in real life, but my Second Life memories are just as relevant as my real life ones. They remind me of moments in time, captured, but gone forever. 

To this end, I am sharing a few here, and if you want, if you've saved them, if you still feel a pang of nostalgia or giggle or even cry when you look at an old photo, I would love you to share them here, along with the story behind them. 

The date on the back of this set of photos is 19th July 2008. I'd found this rather smashing fun item (called a missile silo if my memory serves me correctly) on OnRez (which was pre- Second Life Marketplace).  It seated three avatars in different places and positions, and after the countdown, shot us up into the sky, then exploded, and randomly parachuting kittens would also be released.  

Silo 1.jpg

Silo 2.jpg

Silo 3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

This is me and my friend Grey, visiting a Nepal-themed sim in 2008. it was a cool place, considering the limits of building back then.  Grey is one of my best friends; we've been friends since before SL was even thought of. He's still inworld and we still chat nearly every day, but I kind of miss the exploring we used to do together in our early days.

nepal_001.thumb.jpg.2cad7f532f9ca1cf7a7dfd786a713375.jpg

• Like 12

Ghosted in 2011. Since then we both got a bit greyer and simcrossings got better, but this moment was always kept in my mind.  Two whole weeks before I could log in again. And all this time you could  see me like this. Great shot for the posterity I don't have .. :|

5826295255_595fbcfb30_o(1).thumb.jpg.c31e829037d43de6c11de8411d45301d.jpg

Fun times nonetheless.

• Like 10

[seven2.jpg]

Memories from 2008 -- sure there are more :D

August 2008 a new club called SEVEN --- one with a cover charge which was not the norm -- opened to the public for perusal. My blog post indicates that this was the first time I had seen chairs with multi-sit menus.  I remember those chairs. Impressive plush white and in the waiting area outside the bar. 

[spacollage.jpg]

spas were pretty new back then too.  This was a just opened area which was quite posh for the times. 

[lap-sweenytodd.jpg]

This was from a contest put on by Long Awkward Poses.  I remember that I won, but not sure it it was first prize or another prize.  This was supposed to be a spoof on Edward Scissorhands. 

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

This is me and my friend Grey, visiting a Nepal-themed sim in 2008. it was a cool place, considering the limits of building back then.  Grey is one of my best friends; we've been friends since before SL was even thought of. He's still inworld and we still chat nearly every day, but I kind of miss the exploring we used to do together in our early days.

nepal_001.thumb.jpg.2cad7f532f9ca1cf7a7dfd786a713375.jpg

Thank you for sharing. 

After a break from Second Life, I returned and could not remember why I had fallen in love with the place in the first place - and then I was reminded. It was the exploring. So I have started to explore again. I can highly recommend it! 

I think it's wonderful you have such a long-term friend, who you still speak to on a daily basis. A lot of my original friends have long gone.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Ghosted in 2011. Since then we both got a bit greyer and simcrossings got better, but this moment was always kept in my mind.  Two whole weeks before I could log in again. And all this time you could  see me like this. Great shot for the posterity I don't have .. :|

5826295255_595fbcfb30_o(1).thumb.jpg.c31e829037d43de6c11de8411d45301d.jpg

Fun times nonetheless.

I just LOVED ghost-hunting - any excuse to explore the mainland actually, and you were one of the best ghosts I ever found, padding away with your paws in mid-air as you were.  I just cannot believe this is nine whole years ago. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

[seven2.jpg]

Memories from 2008 -- sure there are more :D

August 2008 a new club called SEVEN --- one with a cover charge which was not the norm -- opened to the public for perusal. My blog post indicates that this was the first time I had seen chairs with multi-sit menus.  I remember those chairs. Impressive plush white and in the waiting area outside the bar. 

[spacollage.jpg]

spas were pretty new back then too.  This was a just opened area which was quite posh for the times. 

[lap-sweenytodd.jpg]

This was from a contest put on by Long Awkward Poses.  I remember that I won, but not sure it it was first prize or another prize.  This was supposed to be a spoof on Edward Scissorhands. 

I think you've always been ahead of your time - always something a bit more professional about your photos - you have a keen eye obviously. Love the competition entry - quite scary too, good theme! There is a comfortable familiarity seeing these photos people are dredging up from 2008, and I am already feeling warm and fuzzy on this nostalgia trip. Thank you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TDD123 said:

OMG you were ghosted for two weeks? What happened to sim restarts? I would have been furious.

Anyway, here's my memory:

atauction_001.thumb.jpg.1df697301ff4ffa360d369ecf4ed42c0.jpg

This is me and Madison at an Amaretto horse auction in 2011. At one point I got seriously addicted to them things (thanks to my daughter 😡) and I would buy and sell at auctions like this. They were great fun, but it was such a massive money sink I had to get rid of them (and now I spend all that spare money on land, lol).

This is Shihab, my very first foal;

Shihab.png.6c17bffa9fee60ac1ed07317511c134a.png

The palomino in the middle is Sundance, my all-time favourite. He still lives in peaceful retirement on my land and is now a grand old man of 9 years. I don't remember all the others but the white one is Elsa Shadowfax, the little Shetland pony is Angus, and the brown one with white socks is Cadbury.

1138694565_Snapshot_002(3).thumb.png.43afd439f8d3ec4212bb86269f2a0590.png

Correction: the white one is not Elsa - she had pink eyes.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 12

Ah Amaretto horse, yes .. I had no clue.

5830668693_a6914a85a1_o(2).png.ad7c088d24192d5409b10c14d194afcf.png

It died on me in the first week .. ( didn't 'know' I should feed it ) .. turning green on me.

So I made a plackard for it .. Idiotic somehow to become actually attached to an object  ... :|

5825946405_7ff5333fb7_o.png.10dd9e14723e70bd7c284a64ed06f0c3.png

Telling this silly story, because I also remember vast quantaties of mainland strewn with abandoned dead underfed horses .. whole farms. And people trying to rescue and survive them.  No pictures of that thought.

Crazy times.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

It died on me in the first week .. ( didn't 'know' I should feed it ) .. turning green on me.

So I made a plackard for it .. Idiotic somehow to become actually attached to an object  ... :|

Telling this silly story, because I also remember vast quantaties of mainland strewn with dead underfed horses .. whole farms. And people trying to rescue and survive them.  No pictures of that thought.

Crazy times.

Aww poor Charlie. They don't die though, they just get sick. If you still have him, you can feed him for a while (I can't remember if it's 5 or 7 days) he will recover and return to their normal colour. (You may have to update him in order to eat the new food; you can pick up a free updater from the Amaretto store, if it still exists). I have over 100 green horses still in my inventory, can't bear to part with any of them.

• Like 4

Just now, Lewis Luminos said:

Aww poor Charlie. They don't die though, they just get sick. If you still have him, you can feed him for a while (I can't remember if it's 5 or 7 days) he will recover and return to their normal colour. (You may have to update him in order to eat the new food; you can pick up a free updater from the Amaretto store, if it still exists). I have over 100 green horses still in my inventory, can't bear to part with any of them.

Alas .. although Tuxedo Charlie was revived, by the great advice of my then neighbour, and I had a happy time with it, it also belonged to my previous account which has been deleted in 2011.

I own an animated Husky now, which gives me just as much fun and I don't need to feed it .. ;)

• Like 3

10 years ago my first SL partner vanished from the grid. I was afraid the swine-flu had gotten her, but in reality she was battling stage 4 cancer which had snuck up on her. I was so relieved when she finally reappeared. (And was in full remission!) She ultimately left SL to focus on her health, family, and friends.

She's OK!

• Like 12

Well, if you want to go way back, how many of us started out as identical "twins" of Girl Next Door? Me! Me!

And the other photo was taken in 2009 of me by another person who is still important to me in SL. Lots of memories associated with this.

Fun thread, Marigold!

original SR_001.jpg

2009.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

These were from the 2012 Beta Server Users Group meeting.

Feb

504016572_ServerBeta_001.thumb.jpg.f91eb99c34a1d49d412ddc1a481036bb.jpg

Oct

ServB111006_001.thumb.jpg.db9962c19297e31cbefde53233ed815a.jpg

Oh my word, those meetings were a blast! And I seem to recall us all being put underwater and given shark heads to wear, as per the top photo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

OMG you were ghosted for two weeks? What happened to sim restarts? I would have been furious.

Anyway, here's my memory:

atauction_001.thumb.jpg.1df697301ff4ffa360d369ecf4ed42c0.jpg

This is me and Madison at an Amaretto horse auction in 2011. At one point I got seriously addicted to them things (thanks to my daughter 😡) and I would buy and sell at auctions like this. They were great fun, but it was such a massive money sink I had to get rid of them (and now I spend all that spare money on land, lol).

This is Shihab, my very first foal;

Shihab.png.6c17bffa9fee60ac1ed07317511c134a.png

The palomino in the middle is Sundance, my all-time favourite. He still lives in peaceful retirement on my land and is now a grand old man of 9 years. I don't remember all the others but the white one is Elsa Shadowfax, the little Shetland pony is Angus, and the brown one with white socks is Cadbury.

I often wondered how long these could live for. The breedable animals somehow reminded me of Tamagotchi toys, if you treated them well they could live quite a long time. Nine years!!!! Blimey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Telling this silly story, because I also remember vast quantaties of mainland strewn with abandoned dead underfed horses .. whole farms. And people trying to rescue and survive them.  No pictures of that thought.

Crazy times.

I remember this memorial. I got attached to Sion chickens that I bred with my then partner. We had too many green ones and had to cull them, because oh what a money pit having to buy food. I knew they were only virtual, but like you, I felt really sad about ending their life. Yes, it seems silly, but maybe it just means we have empathy and are truly caring people - even if we might put on a hard shell/facade. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, if you want to go way back, how many of us started out as identical "twins" of Girl Next Door? Me! Me!

And the other photo was taken in 2009 of me by another person who is still important to me in SL. Lots of memories associated with this.

Fun thread, Marigold!

2009.JPG

Really pretty avatar. You've done a very good job, it seems to me, of coming somewhat close to this look with your meshed up on. Also, a great photo. I specialized in really crappy ones, back in the day.

As for the "Girl Next Door" . . . yikes, next to what?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really pretty avatar. You've done a very good job, it seems to me, of coming somewhat close to this look with your meshed up on. Also, a great photo. I specialized in really crappy ones, back in the day.

As for the "Girl Next Door" . . . yikes, next to what?

I have tried, over the years, to keep pretty close in to the system avatar with each update I've done. Some updates more than others. The current  one, with the Genus Classic head, allowed me to go very close in while not exactly. I could have gotten closer, but didn't because I don't need to look exactly like 2009!  That photo wasn't shot by me in 2009! Mine were very...um...yeah, really crappy then too.

You don't recognize the Girl Next Door standard avi that everyone got a chance to be when they first started? I think she's still in the Library. :)

And thank you for the compliment.

• Like 2

I wasn't always a blonde haired witch! I was usually a red head, like I am in real life. And I liked to visit arty things in Second Life, as I sometimes do in real life. I am actually not sure what this one was all about, but it seemed so big when I was standing in front of it. Date on photo is 5th September 2012. 

art 1.jpg

Two from 2010 - arty farty again. 

art 2.jpg

art 3.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 4

Somebody loved me once! 

Lovely cheese-loving, all-round talented, creator of some amazing outfits, the much missed, Suella Ember, surprised me with an outfit she had made in my honour. I still have it, carefully wrapped in tissue paper, and boxed up with mothballs in my wardrobe. 

2010.jpg

• Like 5

Since we've just come out of Fantasy Faire, here are some 'volunteering' ones that I can find.  My memory fails as to when exactly I took active roles but the photos jog it a bit.

Sitting with Desmond Shang at the Caledon RFL campsite in 2010.  I think it was the next year that I was Co-Captain.  

Guv and me at RFL.jpg

Captain for the New Babbage RFL team in 2014.

New Babbage RFL Poster 2014.jpg

Volunteer Team Lead for OBR in 2015, and Stage Manager in 2016.

OBR 2015 Greeting Place.jpg

I was an Artistic Liaison for Fantasy Faire in (I think) 2014 and 2016.  This is me having the strange experience of meeting my mesh self on the Quest in 2015, where I played the Princess Flora.

FF Talking to Flora 2015.jpg

Playing Hermia in a Fantasy Faire mini-production in 2016.

1199550251_FFHermia2016.thumb.jpg.b18d4e720400142b45080ceb44e1c984.jpg

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Organising photos.
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Since we've just come out of Fantasy Faire, here are some 'volunteering' ones that I can find.  My memory fails as to when exactly I took active roles but the photos jog it a bit.

Those were wonderful Garnet! I may have even helped do something at those 1 Billion Rising events. I also have a photo of me on a fake book cover, for some contest with "What could possibly go wrong?" on it. You make me want to go find that. :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.