Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

That is one of the things that does bother me a bit, tbh. And whether it will be any use against the new mutant strains.

Most things I've seen about that claim that the current vaccine more than likely offers no protection against most of the new strains. This is the reason I was hesitant about a vaccine in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Most things I've seen about that claim that the current vaccine more than likely offers no protection against most of the new strains. This is the reason I was hesitant about a vaccine in the first place.

The repurposed antiviral drugs that have been tested don't seem to lose their effectiveness on other strains so there is hope there at least.

Wearing my tin foil hat I have to wonder if certain nations did not make contractual bargains with these Big Pharma's to only consider their vaccines for their national Covid response. It would in part explain the apathy these repurposed drugs are regarded with in North America and parts of Europe in spite of their proven effectiveness as a cure for many Covid cases in third world countries.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It would in part explain the apathy these repurposed drugs are regarded with in North America and parts of Europe in spite of their proven effectiveness as a cure for many Covid cases in third world countries.

Sorry? Sources for this?

No one is less trusting of Big Pharma -- or any other "Big" corporate sector, for that matter -- than I am, but we have public universities stocked full of independent scholars who have been studying this for over a year. What have they had to say about the "proven effectiveness as a cure" of these?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah it does seem like the live shows are getting more lax...at least with the performers. I notice the audiences are absent or made up of the staff producing the show, so doesn't seem all back to normal.

It's hard to see what percentage of compliance we have with safety measures overall, but it seems to have increased. My main concern is with those who believe Covid is a hoax or not worse than the flu -- I can't see they'd be careful unless faced with legal consequences, and surveys show there are quite a number of these people

9 out of 10 dentists surveyed recommend we use Crest.

Hehehe

I'm just playing around killing time before I have to leave for work in a few minutes. hehehe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, some surveys are more reputable/accurate than others...or do you not trust anything coming from an official source?

I use Crest. 

But, not because 9 out of 10 dentists recommend it.

The fluoride in Crest is bad for you... as a certified health nut (like myself) you should know this  :)

5 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

That is not what I am seeing, Gage. It does appear that the current vaccines may be less effective against the new strains, but they still offer significant protection. I saw an article that said the monoclonal antivirals, however, may not work against the new strains.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Your mouth absorbs quite a bit of it though. I read that in a scientific journal but I guess that means to you it's not true huh...

I was at work and didn't catch the snippy end of that..

You may want to update your reading on it.

ETA: Here is a pretty non bias piece. it goes into the good the bad and the ugly..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

@Ceka Cianci

Let's get this back on track, as it's not really about our silly jaunt into the problems with fluoride toothpaste.

I said:
"It's hard to see what percentage of compliance we have with safety measures overall, but it seems to have increased. My main concern is with those who believe Covid is a hoax or not worse than the flu -- I can't see they'd be careful unless faced with legal consequences, and surveys show there are quite a number of these people."

And you replied:
"9 out of 10 dentists surveyed recommend we use Crest."

And so it appears you are dissing the surveys showing there are a sizeable number of people who do not believe Covid is a threat and not mask compliant, equating these surveys to worthless advertisements by Crest to increase sales.

I agree that surveys done by a company or group with an agenda are worthless, but what makes you think surveys that demonstrate we have a sizeable population in the U.S. who believe Covid is a hoax or not serious is driven by any kind of agenda? 

26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Ceka Cianci

Let's get this back on track, as it's not really about our silly jaunt into the problems with fluoride toothpaste.

I said:
"It's hard to see what percentage of compliance we have with safety measures overall, but it seems to have increased. My main concern is with those who believe Covid is a hoax or not worse than the flu -- I can't see they'd be careful unless faced with legal consequences, and surveys show there are quite a number of these people."

And you replied:
"9 out of 10 dentists surveyed recommend we use Crest."

And so it appears you are dissing the surveys showing there are a sizeable number of people who do not believe Covid is a threat and not mask compliant, equating these surveys to worthless advertisements by Crest to increase sales.

I agree that surveys done by a company or group with an agenda are worthless, but what makes you think surveys that demonstrate we have a sizeable population in the U.S. who believe Covid is a hoax or not serious is driven by any kind of agenda? 

No, I replied

"9 out of 10 dentists surveyed recommend we use Crest.

Hehehe

I'm just playing around killing time before I have to leave for work in a few minutes. hehehe"

• Like 1

Should be using Colgate anyways as that has proven covid killing properties:

Recent studies conducted by Colgate-Palmolive suggest certain oral care products may play a role in temporarily reducing the amount of SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — in your mouth. Laboratory tests found that specific kinds of toothpaste with zinc, stannous fluoride, or amine fluoride, as well as mouthwashes with cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, or stannous fluoride/amine fluoride, neutralized the virus by more than 99%. An initial clinical test performed pre-procedurally with COVID-19 positive patients showed certain mouthwashes with CPC plus zinc, hydrogen peroxide, or chlorhexidine significantly reduced the amount of virus in the mouth for up to 60 minutes after rinsing. 

https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/threats-to-dental-health/new-research-for-toothpaste-and-mouthwash-effects-on-covid-19-virus

Edited by Arielle Popstar
add link
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

9 out of 10 dentists surveyed recommend we use Crest.

Hehehe

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I use Crest. 

But, not because 9 out of 10 dentists recommend it.

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't swallow it. Hehehe

I just had to say how much I love these posts - and your other short comedic comments.  Gives me a much needed smile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That is not what I am seeing, Gage. It does appear that the current vaccines may be less effective against the new strains, but they still offer significant protection. I saw an article that said the monoclonal antivirals, however, may not work against the new strains.

In either case, I have decided I will not take the vaccine and instead keep using social distancing clean hands and of course masking.

@Ceka Cianci

I like your humor too, Ceka, and the often 'earthy wisdom' you display.

I'm just worried that you're not taking the dangers we're facing from far-right extremists seriously enough (the people who espouse crazy conspiracy theories, think Covid is a democratic plot, deny the validity of the election and the primacy of democracy, and advocate violence as a way to get what they want). Often I see you dismissing these dangers, thinking they are not real and instead only fake portrayals drummed up by partisan politics.

When you see everything through a partisan politics lens where you believe each side is only making up the dangers on the other side sometimes you miss the danger coming up to bite you in the butt.

We have a real danger in the U.S. today, and I'm not sure we're going to get out of it...this movement toward an autocratic type of government that would limit freedom and harm people. It's happening all around the world...this tendency toward autocracy. Our troubles didn't end with the end of Trump in office -- Trump was just a reflection of this dynamic that keeps growing. It's these people who often don't wear masks and dismiss most anything scientific or nearly any information coming from the government.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Ceka Cianci

I like your humor too, Ceka, and the often 'earthy wisdom' you display.

I'm just worried that you're not taking the dangers we're facing from far-right extremists seriously enough (the people who espouse crazy conspiracy theories, think Covid is a democratic plot, deny the validity of the election and the primacy of democracy, and advocate violence as a way to get what they want). Often I see you dismissing these dangers, thinking they are not real and instead only fake portrayals drummed up by partisan politics.

When you see everything through a partisan politics lens where you believe each side is only making up the dangers on the other side sometimes you miss the danger coming up to bite you in the butt.

We have a real danger in the U.S. today, and I'm not sure we're going to get out of it...this movement toward an autocratic type of government that would limit freedom and harm people. It's happening all around the world...this tendency toward autocracy. Our troubles didn't end with the end of Trump in office -- Trump was just a reflection of this dynamic that keeps growing. It's these people who often don't wear masks and dismiss most anything scientific or nearly any information coming from the government.

I don't take conspiracy theories from anyone no matter their side seriously..

As I've said before, i live around a lot of  conservative people.. Many of them don't pay attention to all this conspiracy jabber either..

Many are too busy being busy with their own lives to have room enough, adding a bunch of silly crap like conspiracies..

Most are doing like a lot of people and trying to make ends meet.. There isn't the luxury of time to waste on politics or the wacked out sides of it..

The number one topic at work at break time is about work and where is this new company going..

When Trump lost, not a tear was shed.. More like, well dang..  like they lost at checkers or something..  hehehe

There is hard core extremists out there.. then there is the majority which is just regular old every day people that go on with their lives..

Honestly, if a hard core extremist showed up at the plant spouting a bunch of crap, it would hit the plant grapevine and before break time most would be looking to see what the idiot looked like.. Most times when you make it to the grape vine for something like that.. they look and laugh.. That guy? lol

So yea, I might have a hard time thinking it's an epidemic.

hehehe

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't take conspiracy theories from anyone no matter their side seriously..

As I've said before, i live around a lot of  conservative people.. Many of them don't pay attention to all this conspiracy jabber either..

Many are too busy being busy with their own lives to have room enough, adding a bunch of silly crap like conspiracies..

Most are doing like a lot of people and trying to make ends meet.. There isn't the luxury of time to waste on politics or the wacked out sides of it..

The number one topic at work at break time is about work and where is this new company going..

When Trump lost, not a tear was shed.. More like, well dang..  like they lost at checkers or something..  hehehe

There is hard core extremists out there.. then there is the majority which is just regular old every day people that go on with their lives..

Honestly, if a hard core extremist showed up at the plant spouting a bunch of crap, it would hit the plant grapevine and before break time most would be looking to see what the idiot looked like.. Most times when you make it to the grape vine for something like that.. they look and laugh.. That guy? lol

So yea, I might have a hard time thinking it's an epidemic.

hehehe

I live in the Bible Belt too, and among conservatives. I see a lot of them not complying with mask recommendations, including the majority of the 6 service people who dealt with my water heater problems.

There's a danger for either you or me to take our personal experience and think it applies to all of the U.S. however. We need data input from many sources outside our own experience.

I'm not sure you, or those at your job, understand how far to the right our country has moved. I've posted charts showing how the 'right' has become an autocratic party. You can compare the variables that determine the truth of this -- it's not a conspiracy theory. If the Republican party can't get this sorted out and become reputable again (a party believing in democracy) we are in grave danger of losing democracy (along with sane, effective responses to Covid and future plagues).

It's not a matter of the people you know going about their lives and not paying attention to conspiracy theories -- it's about those who don't bother to educate themselves on what democracy is and so allow an autocratic type of government to take power through uninformed votes.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.