Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Back on topic with some good news:

Maybe. After further study.

But it's no miracle drug, and some of its side effects can be dangerous.

"Among patients with non-severe COVID-19 and no risk factors for severe disease receiving a single 400 mcg/kg dose of ivermectin within 72 h of fever or cough onset there was no difference in the proportion of PCR positives. There was however a marked reduction of self-reported anosmia/hyposmia, a reduction of cough and a tendency to lower viral loads and lower IgG titers which warrants assessment in larger trials."

In other words, don't try this at home, kids.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30464-8/fulltext

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, Rat Luv said:

The only mystery to me is how this 'Covid is a hoax' theory has become so popular.  

I live with a "Covid is a hoax" conspiracy theorist and it is EXHAUSTING.

They believe masks kill more people than the virus does and so it is useless to wear them.  They believe more people die of the flu than Covid, so it is no big deal.  They believe the vaccine is worse than the virus and that we will be FORCED by law to take it and they will NEVER take the vaccine.  

My response...its all good and well to have the luxury of being able to deny something when you CAN work from home and don't have to venture out into the world when we go into lockdowns.  I was the one going out to work, having to wear masks, sanitise, sign in and out of rest homes, and doing all the shopping etc.  My safety and health isn't a conspiracy theory!

I just nod and smile now, because engaging with this viewpoint is useless.  People are allowed to believe what they believe, whether I agree with them or not.  I just hope I am in their will.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I live with a "Covid is a hoax" conspiracy theorist and it is EXHAUSTING

Just curious,  but does your theorist also believe the election was stolen? Because mine does. I agree it is exhausting. 

12 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Need the shock-faced/wow response emoji...!

Many medications for animals are almost the same as human medications, just larger or smaller doses depending on the size and weight of the animal (mostly). One of the things our vets used to suggest for arthritis in my canines was over the counter low dose aspirin. People aspirin. It worked without any side effects we could see. We had a boxer about 35 years ago that got to the point where when he was in pain he would come and ask for one. 

• Thanks 1

Personally, I am going with the liquid form for sheep -- a squirt in my coffee each morning. The apple flavored paste for horses, though similar to apple butter in texture and taste, just didn't quite cut it.  Not that I have Covid, but it's good to be proactive as I was exposed to six repair guys last week.

ivermectin sheep.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm not American, but yes, they do believe that as well and that Trump will be back sometime this month.

This I find amusing though.

I suppose if you are not American it would be amusing, from here however it can be quite distressing.

4 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I suppose if you are not American it would be amusing, from here however it can be quite distressing.

I find the conspiracy theories my flatmate has are amusing.  If I was American, I would probably be in the more conservative camp (as I have common sense, although not a Trump fan or supporter), and watching the hatred and calls for cancelling and vengeance against anyone who voted that way...well yes, I would be distressed by the way the country is going. 

As a non-American though, I find your Covid numbers and the lack of concern or willingness to follow basic steps to protect yourself and others terrifying.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Thanks 1

The whole Covid thing has become very political here. There is conflicting information about what is the best way to deal with it, as well as debate over whether some of the proposed solutions carry a social and economic costs that outweigh any health benefit. For the most part I think most people are wearing masks and social distancing, this is what I see and I live in Trump country where resistance is the highest.

• Like 1

It's a great shame that this brave old soldier couldn't have spent his last days peacefully at home but had to go while in hospital with this sodding virus.  Goodnight, Captain Tom. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881753

Photo from the BBC as the news link won't expand. dace2f1b-568e-4dee-9752-3097f6c6c39a

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Link wasn't working.
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

For the most part I think most people are wearing masks and social distancing, this is what I see and I live in Trump country where resistance is the highest.

This ^^

I truly do think that there is more compliance, even among the conservatives, than what the news implies.  The news is all about extremes, just like our political climate these days, but I think that very little of what is shown on the news really reflects the average citizen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This ^^

I truly do think that there is more compliance, even among the conservatives, than what the news implies.  The news is all about extremes, just like our political climate these days, but I think that very little of what is shown on the news really reflects the average citizen.

Yes,They have to always keep fear just around the corner or outside the door for the clicks. Because clicks are big monies.

(The BBC has the same story.)

I was wondering about this:

US biotech firm Moderna last week said it was trialling a new vaccine for the South African variant, after studies showed its current Covid vaccine was six times less effective against the new strain.

... which makes me think twice about the plan to prioritize second shots of the two-jab vaccines, whether it might be better to spread widely the impressive early immunity of that first shot for a few months and then mop-up with a booster shot that's specifically tuned to whatever variants are common at that point, rather than get two shots up front that then fade in efficacy as new variants spread.

But god only knows what whacked-out conspiracy theories the anti-vax cranks would cook up in response to the slightest hint of a change in method. Probably best to stick to plan, even if it's no longer the theoretically optimum approach.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Sad 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

It's a great shame that this brave old soldier couldn't have spent his last days peacefully at home but had to go while in hospital with this sodding virus.  Goodnight, Captain Tom. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881753

Photo from the BBC as the news link won't expand. dace2f1b-568e-4dee-9752-3097f6c6c39a

There's a clap for him at 6pm. I don't usually do that sort of thing, but I might as a one off for this national treasure. Vale, Captain. And sod you, Covid. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

These webcams are fun to check out...and easy to see mask compliance (or not).  Nobody at this place is wearing one:

https://worldcams.tv/united-states/kansas-city/international-house-of-prayer

I've been thinking about this when watching tv shows also.. Like SNL the other night  with them all being right up on each other and other shows that have been filmed after the pandemic started..

I don't know what the audience looks like, But on stage everyone is pretty much in each others range.

Before, they were doing shows from each of their homes.. Now all these shows seem to be back to business as usual..

I'm sure they are taking all kinds of precautions, but so are most of us..

hehehe

I can't help but picture each of them spraying each other with how loud they have to be  for the stage..

I was like, omg it must be a whirlpool going on up there..hehehe

But that's how I look at things now when people say anything.. where is that blast of exhaust going when someone yells or coughs or anything like that..? hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I just looked up my place in line for the vaccine and it looks like people in prison and homeless people get their vaccine before I do.  That just pisses me off.  I have been having to go to work and expose myself to this virus the whole time and prisoners get the vaccine before I do.  Doesn't seem right to me.

Thieves and murderers rank higher than I do.

Edited by TT120

1 hour ago, TT120 said:

I just looked up my place in line for the vaccine and it looks like people in prison and homeless people get their vaccine before I do.  That just pisses me off.  I have been having to go to work and expose myself to this virus the whole time and prisoners get the vaccine before I do.  Doesn't seem right to me.

I can't say I know who is more deserving of the vaccine and so should be first, but it's not a simple decision.

Not all people in prison are thieves and murderers -- for example, minor drug charges should not equal a death sentence from Covid. And Blacks are given longer sentences for the same crimes that Whites commit, so this is another slap in the face to the inequalities Blacks must deal with in the U.S.

The Covid case rate is four times higher in state and federal prisons than in the general population — and twice as deadly. The staff at these prisons and the community surrounding them have to be considered too as they are more at risk.

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I've been thinking about this when watching tv shows also.. Like SNL the other night  with them all being right up on each other and other shows that have been filmed after the pandemic started..

I don't know what the audience looks like, But on stage everyone is pretty much in each others range.

Before, they were doing shows from each of their homes.. Now all these shows seem to be back to business as usual..

I'm sure they are taking all kinds of precautions, but so are most of us..

Yeah it does seem like the live shows are getting more lax...at least with the performers. I notice the audiences are absent or made up of the staff producing the show, so doesn't seem all back to normal.

It's hard to see what percentage of compliance we have with safety measures overall, but it seems to have increased. My main concern is with those who believe Covid is a hoax or not worse than the flu -- I can't see they'd be careful unless faced with legal consequences, and surveys show there are quite a number of these people

3 hours ago, TT120 said:

You can have mine. I'd prefer to wait until more extensive testing has been done. It happened too fast for my comfort.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You can have mine. I'd prefer to wait until more extensive testing has been done. It happened too fast for my comfort.

That is one of the things that does bother me a bit, tbh. And whether it will be any use against the new mutant strains.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.