Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There is a significant proportion of America that holds what I see to be incorrect or even abhorrent views because they feel powerless and disenfranchised. Is it better to address the root causes of those feelings of being unheard -- or merely to prove them justified by ignoring or suppressing them?

There's a crowded MAGA bar not far from me. The parking lot is always filled with expensive trucks and SUVs, the patrons always maskless, and indignation fairly dripping from the road signage.

While the patrons may feel powerless and disenfranchised, I fail to see how that's actually true. The value of the vehicles in the parking lot could equal that of a block of homes in Milwaukee's central city. The bar patrons might see their quality of life slipping, but they're still sitting on mounting of white privilege.

I'm seeing evidence of racism emerging from long time friends I thought didn't harbor such beliefs.

Pamela's white supremacy argument has some merit in my neighborhood. The "superior" simply don't want to relinquish their imagined superiority.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm seeing evidence of racism emerging from long time friends I though didn't harbor such beliefs.

Pamela's white supremacy argument has some merit in my neighborhood. The "superior" simply don't want to relinquish their imagined superiority.

I think this past year of all the BLM protests and riots have likely ticked a lot of people off to a point where they are starting to have some resentments they did not have before as well as that if they are being told over and over again that they have white superiority, they are actually taking it on.  It works that way unconsciously. Whatever one believes about another, they will unconsciously take that belief on. As you believe, so it will be.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you expand "family" to "tribe", I'm in agreement.

I think you'll find it hard for a lot of parents to love someone more than they do their own children..

As the saying goes, you don't just love your children, you fall in love with them..

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

In order to maintain the patriarchy (a stratified society where the victors climb to the top) there always has be be levels at the bottom....and we know who has been placed there..

All the working class people have been placed there from time to time.   All the little people and the working class are subject to exploitation from the authority that wealth and nepotism afford the select few.  The other select few in this world are those who are highly gifted and may end up in film or music for a few examples, and in America, rich enough for a great education.  Even communist super power countries have their "preferred" gifted who are rich.  The little people will never be able to defeat nepotism and wealth.  

My Polish white family has been thoroughly, thoroughly f'ed over as have other whites.  The working class is all people.  Crime is keeping others in jail and thus not able to be hired.  Poverty is the real villian.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think this past year of all the BLM protests and riots have likely ticked a lot of people off to a point where they are starting to have some resentments they did not have before as well as that if they are being told over and over again that they have white superiority, they are actually taking it on.  It works that way unconsciously. Whatever one believes about another, they will unconsciously take that belief on. As you believe, so it will be.

JFC, you are blaming the people who have been abused for the problem.

Just stop it!

• Thanks 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

JFC, you are blaming the people who have been abused for the problem.

Just stop it!

Well maybe you need to stop and pay attention to how you are trying to get your messages across. What I just said is relevant for when parents bring up their children. It works the same way with others.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think you'll find it hard for a lot of parents to love someone more than they do their own children..

As the saying goes, you don't just love your children, you fall in love with them..

I have a MAGA friend who asked me if I thought Black ppl loved their children like “we” do.

• Sad 2

I remember when they were rioting in chicago..

The two most money making main drags in Chicago are, The Magnificent mile which got trashed and  the other is 26th  Latin king Territory..hehehe

When the rioters and looters made their way to Latin King Territory..The latin kings along with a lot of the residents  turned them out and none of their businesses were touched.. They said, That ain't happening here bro, turn that Sh*t around..

I remember seeing one latin king saying to police.. We got this, this is our community.. We don't need you here!

hehehe

Them Latin Kings are well organized and very old school, because they still hold onto their culture..

That's why there isn't a zillion micro latin gangs.

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The "superior" simply don't want to relinquish their imagined superiority.

As much as I wish it were not true, I'm afraid you are right, Maddy.  I know too many people whose default behaviors are driven by envy, greed, and resentment. It is hard to get into a rational debate with people who have a visceral distrust of anyone who appears to be smarter, richer, more handsome, luckier .... than they see themselves to be. 

I find myself retreating into silence rather than confronting entrenched resentment on either of the political extremes, and I dislike myself for it.  It is not appeasement, because I have not ceded ground, but I have not defended it either.  I find myself haunted by the maxim that all that is necessary for evil to prevail in the world is for people of good will to do nothing.  And yet I justify my reaction by quoting the opposing advice: "Never mud wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty and the pig loves it."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

And there you have it. 

I see you laughed at my post and it's not funny one bit.

There are oppressors with the money and guns and the authority in other countries who are not white but those oppressors are of a different color.

We need to lift people out of poverty and high crime areas.  It's the only way to win - better opportunities for all.

I'm angry at this COVID for taking jobs.  It worries me a lot and sometimes I've almost felt worried sick but I am grateful I have people I can talk to about my worries though.  I just hope we can create jobs again and get back on track soon.  I REALLY HATE COVID.  We need to do some things different now and into the future.

Edited by FairreLilette

My friend that had came over that had tested positive, that caused me to have to get tested and lay out of work for a week..

She called me after she was able to go back to work.. I had asked her if she went through anything..

She said at first she had a fever which is why she had to get tested.. Then that went away and about in her 4th day I think it was..She started to have a hard time breathing..

She said it felt like trying to breathe through a straw the second day after her breathing started to get rough.. then the day after that she started to breathe a little better.. So for about three days she was pretty worried and laid up in bed..

Her husband never tested positive and was doing things for her the whole time she was laid up.. He got tested when she did the first time and then tested again afterwards.

He was so worried that he didn't even care if he got it when she was breathing really hard.. He was right with her the whole time..

Some people may just already be immune or something..

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

He was so worried that he didn't even care if he got it when she was breathing really hard.. He was right with her the whole time..

Some people may just already be immune or something..

A lot of people are asymptomatic super spreaders without ever knowing it, and already over it by the time they were tested.

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

A lot of people are asymptomatic super spreaders without ever knowing it, and already over it by the time they were tested.

Yea, that could be a possibility.. But where she works was getting pretty bad like a petri dish also.. From what she had told me before she ever had it.. Her and one other person in their section of their plant were the only ones left that hadn't gotten it yet.She was complaining about being tired having to work so much extra over time because of the others being in quarantine..so it's hard to say really..

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm angry at this COVID for taking jobs.  

Really? Angry at a virus.

You know why I am angry? I am angry at the people who cost us tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of lives that could have been saved. Not just those who refused to do their jobs but all those who shamelessly supported them and still do. Not just those who flew all over the country doing super spreader events but those who attended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yea, that could be a possibility.. But where she works was getting pretty bad like a petri dish also.. From what she had told me before she ever had it.. Her and one other person in their section of their plant were the only ones left that hadn't gotten it yet.She was complaining about being tired having to work so much extra over time because of the others being in quarantine..so it's hard to say really..

It’s a crying shame that such working conditions were allowed, much less pretty much blessed by the previous admin’s cdc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

Really? Angry at a virus.

You know why I am angry? I am angry at the people who cost us tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of lives that could have been saved. Not just those who refused to do their jobs but all those who shamelessly supported them and still do. Not just those who flew all over the country doing super spreader events but those who attended. 

I look at those things.. But I also look at when the country first started to get laxed again in the summer..

Remember those first stories about people coming back out flooding boardwalks and parks and things like that..

I was like, It's not over yet ,get away from each other!! Winter is still coming you fools!! \o/

Here we are now, just like 100 years ago..

I will say though, we had a bad patch at work where it seemed  like there was always a couple people out because of either being around someone that was infected or they were infected..

It's been about 3 weeks since I've heard of anything at the plant since then.. Knocks on wood and hoping that's a good sign.

• Like 1

Australian Associated Press
Sat 6 Feb 2021 00.25 EST

Australia has marked another day with no locally acquired cases of Covid-19 as more stranded Australians prepare to come home when international arrival caps return to higher levels.

New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and South Australia all announced zero local Covid-19 cases on Saturday in their respective 24-hour reporting windows.

Western Australia, which on Saturday exited its five-day lockdown after a hotel quarantine worker picked up the virus, also recorded no local cases.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.