Vampire bonds are plummeting

horizon4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Still so many unanswered questions. Like, how did the people managing these bonds get away with sinking the money into an unprofitable skybox business, without approval from the vampire community?

Why has one of the fund managers suddenly disappeared from search?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, horizon4 said:

Still so many unanswered questions. Like, how did the people managing these bonds get away with sinking the money into an unprofitable skybox business, without approval from the vampire community?

Why has one of the fund managers suddenly disappeared from search?

I'm afraid we may never know the answers to these cosmic mysteries. The vampire community will not be defeated, however. It will rise up (hur hur) and avenge itself upon its enemies with a truly devastating leaflet campaign.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm afraid we may never know the answers to these cosmic mysteries. The vampire community will not be defeated, however. It will rise up (hur hur) and avenge itself upon its enemies with a truly devastating leaflet campaign.

Leaflets made from the flayed skin of our victims!

All right, crisp packets, but very salty ones!

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 5:22 AM, Rolig Loon said:

I learn something new every day. It never occurred to me that you could put a vampire in bonds.  I always thought it took stakes and garlic to get them where you wanted them. It does sound as if vampire bonds fall easily, but if they slow vampires down even a little I suppose that's a good thing.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm killing myself here thinking of a crowd of wrathful undead vampires, driven by this outrage to start shaking fists and taking names. Do you have pics? 

These two in sequence and my momentary mental image was vampiric Gorean uberdoms all nicely caged up. Well, not nicely. They're pretty mad about it. They've probably all rage-quit by now. Anyone want to check?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

These two in sequence and my momentary mental image was vampiric Gorean uberdoms all nicely caged up. Well, not nicely. They're pretty mad about it. They've probably all rage-quit by now. Anyone want to check?

No, I'm happy to leave the feckers there. I'm sure someone drilled some air holes.

• Haha 3

In 2011, I purchased 200,000L of vampire bonds on behalf of my SL family, when they were advertised as having a guaranteed return of 5%.

Then in 2013, I purchased an additional 500,000L. It seemed a good investment and would enable my SL/RL wife to keep our club running in the event of something happening to me.

My entire portfolio is now worth 50L, if that. Last night I had to close my club  - that means 10 hosts now without work and 6-8 DJs with one less gig per week. We are having to sell our land ASAP - though I fear that this crash may have affected many others and that it will be harder to sell.

I wish LL WOULD get involved with inworld business. It would have spared me and my family a lot of misery.

27 minutes ago, davidgrolsch said:

In 2011, I purchased 200,000L of vampire bonds on behalf of my SL family, when they were advertised as having a guaranteed return of 5%.

Then in 2013, I purchased an additional 500,000L. It seemed a good investment and would enable my SL/RL wife to keep our club running in the event of something happening to me.

My entire portfolio is now worth 50L, if that. Last night I had to close my club  - that means 10 hosts now without work and 6-8 DJs with one less gig per week. We are having to sell our land ASAP - though I fear that this crash may have affected many others and that it will be harder to sell.

I wish LL WOULD get involved with inworld business. It would have spared me and my family a lot of misery.

Bless.  A week old with no money and you did all that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davidgrolsch said:

Sounds like someone was running some kind of banking/investment thing in SL which is not allowed. 

The Second Life Terms of Service prohibit offering interest or any direct return on investment (whether in L$ or other currency) from any object, such as an ATM, located in Second Life, without proof of an applicable government registration statement or financial institution charter. This applies to inworld investment funds, stock offerings, and banking services and the like.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_regarding_inworld_banks

Virtual banking was banned in SL by LL in 2008.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/409373/second-life-closes-banks/

LL is not an official banking regulator and has no interest in being such for legal reason. I don't blame them.

See also: https://www.wired.com/2007/08/bank-failure-in-second-life-leads-to-calls-for-regulation/

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

Wondering now (not stating for sure) whether a few of the LL layoffs have anything to do with this fiasco. Clearly a lot of questions that still need to be answered.

If anyone needs to speak confidentially regarding how this has affected them, please IM me inworld - I intend to write up a report about this (anonymity guaranteed).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Sounds like someone was running some kind of banking thing in SL which is not allowed.

That was my first thought when I saw davidgrolsch's post...then I realized that if such a thing really existed as long as nine years ago, someone would have mentioned it before this.  And even if it were the best kept secret in Bloodlines, the crash that  he describes would have a lot more than just two residents howling bloody (sorry) murder about it.

David and horizon4 are just having us on.

Look, boys...I'm sorry for your loss and I'm here to help you recover.  I happen to know that the Golden Gate Bridge is for sale.  The city of San Francisco's budget deficit requires that they raise some cash.  Now normally, you'd need about $200 million USD, but I happen to know that the guy in charge of the project really is into virtual worlds and thinks they are Next Big Thing to invest in.  Send me your vampire bonds!  I'll negotiate with him and when the sale goes through, I'll send you the deed to the bridge.  You can charge tolls and make kazillions; it's a sure thing.

sucker.jpg.55e1e36e08c1e24a940b7862273ff85a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

David and horizon4 are just having us on.

That is the point of my post.

If anything has actually happened, they are the ones that have been had, not us. Enough of us have been in SL long enough to remember things that have already happened. Like banking/investing stuff being banned in 2008. 

Remember the 5.1 roll out and how badly that went? Remember how long the grid was down because of it? That happened in 2005 and the grid was down for a week. It really sucked not being able to log in for 5 days straight but I did find other things to do. I even went back to AW and dinked around a bit. shiftyeyes.gif.4170b6ca9c1c2032291edcb01a7e6d7f.gif

4 hours ago, davidgrolsch said:

You missed a chance to use a "right down the toilet" metaphor.

16 hours ago, davidgrolsch said:

If true, which it doubtlessly isn't, I applaud your willingness to shine a light on your incredible stupidity trust in humanity. I mean 5% return guaranteed in the same sentence as SL, my first thought was "what could possibly go wrong?"

At least it is creative trolling.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.