The Linden Homes Photo Thread Comes ALIVE at the Home & Garden Expo for RFL!

Nikki Mathieson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

I don't know how many of you have been able to be inworld at all today, but I zipped in for just a few minutes twice, and both times saw very complimentary things being said about the demo homes in Belli chat!  Landmarks are being requested, and style cards eagerly gobbled up :)

You should all be very proud!

I saw one person say she felt unworthy to own a Vic after going!  But I bet she picked up a few cards ....

*dances*

All of the homes were so beautifully decorated. No idea how they managed to stay in the prim allowance and yet do such detailed fantastic decorating. I went straight to my Victorian after and began to improve it. Plus I grabbed all the style cards whilst there. I think I will stop playing the game of homes as I have homes I love and they deserve some more TLC from me.

Well done to all who took part in this, you all did brilliantly and I think anyone who doesn't yet have a new Linden home, will certainly want one now ❤️ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Completely blown away by the creativity & skill on display by all of you! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLo2s9o

Thanks for posting some pics. I'm traveling and in a hotel with so-so wifi.  While I will likely be able to log in, this internet performance is so wonderfully underwhelming that I am not even going to think of hitting the Expo until I get back home on Sunday.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Peony Swee*****er said:

Well, I managed to make it in for a final dust and polish on my offerings, and took a bit of time to peek into others’ places, and all I can say is WOW! Seeing photos on here is one thing, but discovering all the little details in world is something else. Well done one and all, and I’m only sorry I didn’t find the time to stop and say hi to you all while we were there getting set up.

Popped into your house, lovely!

FYI, don't know if you are aware but you have several doors locked so you can't walk into the rooms; both bathrooms and the back door to the yard. 

• Like 2

Just walked into (I think) everyone's homes. SO good! OMG. I need to go back and take a bunch of photos for my own uses. 

Best thing was I didn't realize @Blush Bravinhad come out with yet another fabulous add-on for the Winchester! Perfect sunroom which I just bought for my beach house. 

I also officially am crowning @Marianne Little Queen of Prims Good lord I do not know how she does it.  I really need to get better at linking objects - or stop using so many one of a kind pieces, because I need to learn that magic.

Went over to the main areas to browse around but they were doing restarts so I left for now. I have a nice long weekend, which I need more than I can possibly say, so will spend time exploring tomorrow.

So happy to be part of this event, special shout out to @Nika Talaj for paging me over to the thread; I probably would have missed seeing it if it wasn't for you as work has been hell and I haven't been able to keep up with things here as much as I used to during daytime hours.

• Like 6

Just got back from checking out all the houses/campers/HB.  Wow is all I can say, I am just stunned by what you guys and gals have come up with!  I only hope one day I can decorate as good as that.   Great job done by all of you.  I can see that a lot of heart and soul was put into these.  Just so much awesomeness in one place!

And again, thank you all for taking the time to decorate these show homes for us.  It really does give people a good idea on what they can do with these.    And now I am in copy heaven 😁.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Popped into your house, lovely!

FYI, don't know if you are aware but you have several doors locked so you can't walk into the rooms; both bathrooms and the back door to the yard. 

Thank you! I hadn’t thought to check on the security stuff - I’ll go in and fix it now.

btw - just had a walk-thru of yours again, and took note of a few things...gorgeous decorating.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Right now, the regions "Bellisseria Demo" & "Bellisseria Demo 2" are open for anyone to TP in!   The map covers are still in place, but the regions are open to the public :)  Perhaps we should regard this as a private showing for those in the know, because the Home & Garden show that these regions are attached to is not open at this moment - cannot cross into those regions. 

There is no landing point set yet, but there is an obvious place for one in each region:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Demo/128/128/23

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Demo 2/131/128/23

The website for the show (https://slhomegardenexpo.com/) only has two posts relating to this year's show, the rest is either left over info from 2019 or blank.  The banner for 2019 has been taken down, and all that's left is a template banner.  The most recent post, a PrimPerfect call for presenters, makes reference to presentations starting on Sunday.  The other post is an announcement of show dates intended for participants, and does indeed state that the show will open today.  Many green dots are in the H&G areas, but it doesn't seem to be open yet, and no time is given on the website.

The show's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HomeAndGardenExpoSL/) does not appear to have been updated since the 2019 expo.

There may be a rare SL ACS  organizational stumble in progress, but you guys' show homes look terrific!   Each parcel has signage with style card etc., but so far I haven't seen any RFL donation kiosks.  But anyway, thanks to ACS for hosting this wonderful event!

p.s. The "Linden Reveal" region has been detached from the show and now resides slightly northeast on the grid.  On the map, it still looks like the Christmas Expo version.

ETA: Usually I would leave it to Nikki to announce this, but she isn't usually around until much later.  Expectations were set for today, so apologies Nikki if I've jumped the gun.

Thank you, Nika!  Yes, I'm glad you did this.  I couldn't WAIT to get home today and announce.  I meant to do it last night but DROPPED in bed with all of 6 hours left until I had to get up and face the 8 degree morning air.  UGH

So, I put refrigerator magnets in the kitchen of the Alderley.  They are also visitor list makers and free to copy (help yourselves)!  They tell me that we had a pretty good day today at least down in the very back of the 2 regions with about 50 visitors.  That's not too bad.  I posted an announcement thread and I have to admit I'll be sad to see this one trickle it's way down and gone.  LOL  When I got home tonight, I had a few more style cards that had been sent in so now all homes should have style cards.

I'm not sure what's up with The Expo's website.  I think the girl she had doing that hasn't been in to take care of it.  Making a note to ask her if she needs some help.  The Expo and all the RFL mega events are MASSIVE projects and opening day is there before you know it. 

Thank you ALL for your support!! as you visit the models.  and THANK YOU to the designers who stepped forward, I applaud you all!!

forum live 2020.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elyeah said:

All of the homes were so beautifully decorated. No idea how they managed to stay in the prim allowance and yet do such detailed fantastic decorating.

For the folks who manage to get a lot of stuff in there, a lot of it comes down to be a fanatic about low land impact furniture, and then going to absurd lengths linking things for maximum effect.

If I see something I really like for sale, and then something I'm OK with that's under 3 land-impact... I get the low land impact one and let myself forget the other item existed. If I have a 2 land impact item in my house, and I'm out shopping and I see a 1 land impact item that's about the same in concept and quality... the old one gets replaced.
- My exception comes when I detect that the lower land impact is because of some defect in quality like bad LOD on an item that will often be seen at a distance it's bad LOD is noticed (1 piece of the swamp I used has this problem, so I put it in in a way that, I hope, the look works whether or not it rezzes right...)

I still had a lot of land impact left. And I was pretty wasteful putting 4 vehicles on my plot. Cut that down to the usual 1 sailboat on a water plot and you might gain about 70 more land impact (assuming you kept the most LI-heavy one).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kitten Kaos said:

I was on a tight schedule and couldn't snap more than a few pics, but I'll be back... I might camp out there all weekend and just soak up inspiration :D

I'm glad the exhibit lasts for a while. I intend to check out a lot of spots for ideas.

I kinda hope all my neighbors in world that have empty or near empty homes stop by as well before it closes so they too can get some ideas... :P

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

For the folks who manage to get a lot of stuff in there, a lot of it comes down to be a fanatic about low land impact furniture, and then going to absurd lengths linking things for maximum effect.

If I see something I really like for sale, and then something I'm OK with that's under 3 land-impact... I get the low land impact one and let myself forget the other item existed. If I have a 2 land impact item in my house, and I'm out shopping and I see a 1 land impact item that's about the same in concept and quality... the old one gets replaced.
- My exception comes when I detect that the lower land impact is because of some defect in quality like bad LOD on an item that will often be seen at a distance it's bad LOD is noticed (1 piece of the swamp I used has this problem, so I put it in in a way that, I hope, the look works whether or not it rezzes right...)

I still had a lot of land impact left. And I was pretty wasteful putting 4 vehicles on my plot. Cut that down to the usual 1 sailboat on a water plot and you might gain about 70 more land impact (assuming you kept the most LI-heavy one).

Pretty much this. I start out with what I want. Then, I find other items in my inventory which are similar in style/color that are lower prim. If I can live with it, feels like it works great. Like in this house the bed I wanted to use had a French brocade garden pattern comforter and colors I wanted to use but was 16 prims. Well, nope - could not use. But I did have one which was was creamy plain white and...found a pillow in my inventory which had an incredibly similar brocade botanical feel and colors. So I saved half the prims and still kept basically the same overall feel I was going for. Compromises! 

I'm also always looking for alternative lower prim high quality items when shopping. 

If I'd had more time, I would have tried linking more objects. I did manage to do some items which saved a few here and there but certainly could have saved a lot more. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the compliment on Hardy! 🥰

I am most happy with the garden. When I logged in there first, I had an: "Oh no" moment. Because I am spoiled in Bellisseria with much more landscaping. So it is satisfying to see that I made a new garden, did not copy my "own" Hardy. This morning I woke up and thought: Oh no, did I credit the fence? I don't know what I can do about it, it is a major feature in the garden. I must log in and check. Maybe I am allowed to submit a changed notecard, @Nikki Mathieson?

I changed a bit inside too, but the main layout is the same. But not the "out of period" room upstairs. I had prims enough for a guest room in the same style, but wanted a break.

Yes, @Pussycat Catnapand @Elora Lunasea, it is about linking and also not only keeping an eye on the Li, but totally obsessed with Li.

I did not link "functional" items like bed, sofas and chairs. I took out on/off switches from lamps and linked them. Because I do not turn lamps on/off in SL anyway.

The Hardy is the one people notice, but I am most pleased with the Windlass. It is the best houseboat I decorated. Before, I have crammed in a bath insert and forced a bed in behind some wall. For the first time, I have a skybox for bath and bedroom. This makes it a functional home. Not a "look at how much decor I managed to press in".

If I had a partner in SL, I could not maneuver the camera in a bed that was so tucked away. I have only a half wall in the boat, and glass railings that keep it an open area. Plus a skybox that has space and air around the tub and bed. And a rezzed boat, ready to sail away with.

I got a comment on it inworld. I think the Hardy is pretty to look at , but the houseboat is where people imagine they can move in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elena Core said:

I was just visiting the homes, and being honest, I'm stealing all the ideas... Poor credit card... Great demos. Although I couldn't find the Adams model, which is may fav. one. Maybe I'm missing something? I haven¡t been too active in the forums these last days

RaLeeh in Adams, is across the street from me. :)

I have already picked out items from @Peony Swee*****er's home next to me.  Thank you for finishing the Shelley so early that I had time to place out the Amaryllis before the Expo opened. I have a couple of favorites from other places too, but haven't read their notecards.

Edit: Quoting Peony's name resulted in ****? I did not think they picked out offending words inside another word... 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Thank you Marianne. Is it possible that I'm checking the wrong LM? http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Demo/128/128/23

I am not sure. It is in Demo 1, not Demo 2. So if you open the map and teleport in the middle of demo 1, there is a dark Continental not far from the middle. The Continental has a tower on top of the roof, so it is hard to miss. The white Adams with large porch, is next to the Continental.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, Marianne Little said:

I picked up some stylecards from others, and wow. You write so clear and stuctured. My stylecards are a mess. 😩

In my Hardy house, I am giving away the tiled floor and walls in the bathroom. They are 1 Li together. The floor is a separate part, the walls is just one part. It is in a box I placed under this window. Of course it is mod and copy.

When I grow up, I want to decorate and link like Marianne!  I took the tour last night, and I wasn't able to grab any of the giveaways, maybe because they're linked?  Loved the window treatments!  Selected edit parts, and could see take a copy, but no joy.  thanks Marianne, it could be just me.  

Update:  Of course it was me, I didn’t let the textures rez in the signs to see them!!  Thanks Marianne!

Edited by Mitch Merricks
update
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mitch Merricks said:

When I grow up, I want to decorate and link like Marianne!  I took the tour last night, and I wasn't able to grab any of the giveaways, maybe because they're linked?  Loved the window treatments!  Selected edit parts, and could see take a copy, but no joy.  Maybe it's just me.  

I just came home. I will log in. I didn't link them, unless my finger's slipped by accident. I tried with an alt, but that was on my platform outside of the demo regions.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mitch Merricks said:

When I grow up, I want to decorate and link like Marianne!  I took the tour last night, and I wasn't able to grab any of the giveaways, maybe because they're linked?  Loved the window treatments!  Selected edit parts, and could see take a copy, but no joy.  thanks Marianne, it could be just me.  

I got them from little framed signs on the wall. I got ceilings and bathroom walls and floor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes, my alt got it without problems. It is a script "give contents on touch" so it's just clicking. But the region was almost empty now. It was me, my alt and only one person more. Perhaps a full region had trouble?

I logged in on an laptop now. It sure takes a long time for everything to rez. That is the curse of stuffing in so many things. I opened 2 Second Life the same time, but it was finally clear and no grey.

gift coll.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Yes, my alt got it without problems. It is a script "give contents on touch" so it's just clicking. But the region was almost empty now. It was me, my alt and only one person more. Perhaps a full region had trouble?

I logged in on an laptop now. It sure takes a long time for everything to rez. That is the curse of stuffing in so many things. I opened 2 Second Life the same time, but it was finally clear and no grey.

gift coll.jpg

Just got them with no problem, thank you for the great gift :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.