The Linden Homes Photo Thread Comes ALIVE at the Home & Garden Expo for RFL!

Nikki Mathieson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No one said it had to be totally new? I am so happy with what I did in the Hardy and making a totally new version, finding other 1 Li items... that would be both difficult and cost money. I always change a bit, yesterday I set in another fireplace, moved some items, changed pictures, but starting from scratch?

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

No one said it had to be totally new? I am so happy with what I did in the Hardy and making a totally new version, finding other 1 Li items... that would be both difficult and cost money. I always change a bit, yesterday I set in another fireplace, moved some items, changed pictures, but starting from scratch?

By reading Nikki,s post, it does not make any reference to it. She also mentioned it is OK if the store is closed, so I guess it's fine. Plus, id something is great quality,  it is always great!!!

11 hours ago, Nikki Mathieson said:

There will be a total of 16 to decorate.  All of the camper, houseboats, traditionals and victorian styles.  We still have quite a few unspoken for, and I'm hoping more sign up.  If we get closer to set up date and still have several, I may just take you up on that offer to decorate 2.  Thank you!!

Nikki - I also probably could handle two if needed. I'd be happy to decorate any which are needed, even those I don't prefer so that you have everything you need to show off. It's a good weekend for me to get started on it actually as my better half is traveling to visit family and I'll have lots of free time to myself 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I do like the sound of this but the time frame worries me. ... Worst case scenario a semi-duplication of one of my set-ups could be done if you're really desperate? 🤔

I don't see any problem with completely duplicating an existing build, frankly, even one that's been 'published' here.   I think it would be great to show something with a family/child spin, as your personal homes do.  Not that many people read the forums, and NOBODY memorizes them, lol!

In fact, Nikki, if you are short on camper builds and would like something pretty straightforward - not home beautiful! - I could contribute this autumnal one:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/441967-trailer-life/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-1982032

I am PERFECTLY fine with not doing this, in fact I'd rather look at other folks' builds, but I'm thinking you might be short on campers.  On the plus side, it's seasonal, which is a little different, and very simple, the kind of thing that anyone can do. 

On the minus side, it's very simple, the kind of thing that anyone can do!  I'm thinking "simple" is not what one wants at an expo 😀

But, you know, 'simple' is all I CAN do, lol!  My partner and I furnish for livability and fun.

And of course, as soon as I look at my pics l see PROBLEMS, lol.   There are items from at least 3 avatars in this build O.o?  I see a common sculpty ground cover here,  I'm curious, do you know if that is that something LL wants to discourage?   I have mesh ones.   The LOD on the extremely low-LI bedroom set is not great, but that's a tradeoff I personally am fine with in small interior spaces.  The kitchen is mostly nocopy gacha, I'd want to pick it up afterwards. Lalala....

Actually, about 20 posts above mine you can see a camper build from @Shali Manx  that I think is terrific.  I love the vegetation she added outside, and the interior is both pretty and peaceful.  So many talented people here in the forums!

• Like 2

@MiakisTheUsagi , might you be interested in bringing one of your wonderful Japanese-inspired designs to the expo?  Nikki might like a little variety ... whimsical pink anime, anyone?  Or classical Japanese living space?

And @Pussycat Catnap , that swampy boat, I love it.  And I always love your bold black-and-proud interiors, you had a home near us in .. was it Well Springs? .. so cool.   Prolly need to scale back on art nudes for the expo, tho ...

I'm thinking too that LL would be fine with a rainbow flag here and there, but they might wince at anything that's too politically pointed.

• Like 1

I sent in a submission as well :) I was a part of the team at the Love To Decorate SL magazine and have owned every style Linden home several times over (an addict of Game of Homes). Happy to decorate any style, especially the campers where people may struggle to find inspiration for the small spaces 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

@Nika Talaj do you think they would be interested in alternative uses for the camper/trailers? I had been working on this ice cream parlor store but wound up letting the land go before I finished it but could easily recreate it, I'm sure

I don't know any more than you do about what Nikki is looking for, I can only say that I would be interested!  Cee had a camper opposite you on that pond, we didn't keep it long (tho a pretty location with great hiking potential), and that parlor was adorable!!  If you had finished the landscaping, it would have been too cute to abandon, I think :)

@MirandaBowers  , we were your neighbors for your brief stay in Dimanche, and I was amazed at how quickly you came up with not one, but IIRC two completely different, lovely builds for that parcel!  One detail I particularly loved, and I know you'll think I'm nuts because it was by no means the most graceful thing you put together there, was the lineup of straight chairs on the porch of, I think, the Doyle.  That was such a RL touch, don't know how many country vics and farmhouses I've driven by IRL that had a lineup of straight chairs on the porch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I don't know any more Ithan you do about what Nikki is looking for, I can only say that I would be interested!  Cee had a camper opposite you on that pond, we didn't keep it long (tho a pretty location with great hiking potential), and that parlor was adorable!!  If you had finished the landscaping, it would have been too cute to abandon, I think :)

@MirandaBowers  , we were your neighbors for your brief stay in Dimanche, and I was amazed at how quickly you came up with not one, but IIRC two completely different, lovely builds for that parcel!  One detail I particularly loved, and I know you'll think I'm nuts because it was by no means the most graceful thing you put together there, was the lineup of straight chairs on the porch of, I think, the Doyle.  That was such a RL touch, don't know how many country vics and farmhouses I've driven by IRL that had a lineup of straight chairs on the porch.

I have another camper in Saltmarsh - I haven't had time to do anything with it yet but am considering replicating it there, or something similar. A beachside ice cream parlor seems a lot more appropriate 👍

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I don't see any problem with completely duplicating an existing build, frankly, even one that's been 'published' here.   I think it would be great to show something with a family/child spin, as your personal homes do.  Not that many people read the forums, and NOBODY memorizes them, lol!

Well that being the case I've submitted an application. We'll see what happens! 👍

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

And @Pussycat Catnap , that swampy boat, I love it.  And I always love your bold black-and-proud interiors, you had a home near us in .. was it Well Springs? .. so cool.   Prolly need to scale back on art nudes for the expo, tho ...

I'm thinking too that LL would be fine with a rainbow flag here and there, but they might wince at anything that's too politically pointed.

I would view a rainbow flag in the same light that I would view a Black Lives Matter one. These two symbols actually stand for the EXACT SAME THING; a simple basic right to be alive. One came up when governments were letting people die in mass from AIDS because it felt they had no right to live, the other when a government and a society ignored violence against a people by the system as it had judged a whole race of people as having no right to live.

Stating you have a right to be alive is never too political.

But I would also see them the same way the topic recently came up on, of all things, a recent episode of Batwoman - where after being outed as a lesbian the City refused to turn on the bat-signal during an attack citing "politics" - as if what someone is or that someone should have a right to their own life was political.

That said, I've an exact mind of what to swap around in place of the nude art I often have up. Might even eventually swap that in around in my actual build. I've long been of dual minds about that side of my SL expression.

What would interest me about something like is showing how much can be put in when one is highly efficient over land-impact, and doing something very different from what many others do to show wider possibilities.

(ps: I am a little frustrated with the rainbow flag for a radically different reason: since the 1700s an almost identical flag has been the flag of the Inca of Peru, and even flies over the old Inca Capital to this day. I'm like... couldn't ya'll have done a little research before stealing my people's colors? But the cause the outside world uses it for: a people's right to live, is also actually why the Inca started flying it during a rebellion against Spain so long ago, so that's good. :))

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Good lord, really?  Forum party!  You & Chloe have campers, xrockinfree & I have houseboats!

(of course I've done nothing for mine yet, slowest decorator in SL)

Ha, I have a houseboat too of course lol. Although mine has not be decorated yet either - I had swapped the original one which I had for ages; finally snagged one with a nice little beach area near it and the back facing west. The trailer in Saltmarsh is pretty perfect as far as locations go so I'm hanging on to that one.

We really should start doing some parties away from the Cartel hangout again.  It gets kind of stale always doing them there.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peony Swee*****er said:

Just checking about the campers, since it's not really clear - I'm assuming they'll be on the typical half-plot? Otherwise we'd be able to do something completely different to what would normally be available on Belli.

yes, they will be, with a land impact of 175.

17 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

exactly right!  It can be something you've already got set up in Bellisseria.  There's some amazing stuff already there

10 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

In fact, Nikki, if you are short on camper builds and would like something pretty straightforward - not home beautiful! - I could contribute this autumnal one:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/441967-trailer-life/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-1982032

I am PERFECTLY fine with not doing this, in fact I'd rather look at other folks' builds, but I'm thinking you might be short on campers.  On the plus side, it's seasonal, which is a little different, and very simple, the kind of thing that anyone can do. 

On the minus side, it's very simple, the kind of thing that anyone can do!  I'm thinking "simple" is not what one wants at an expo 😀

But, you know, 'simple' is all I CAN do, lol!  My partner and I furnish for livability and fun.

And of course, as soon as I look at my pics l see PROBLEMS, lol.   There are items from at least 3 avatars in this build O.o?  I see a common sculpty ground cover here,  I'm curious, do you know if that is that something LL wants to discourage?   I have mesh ones.   The LOD on the extremely low-LI bedroom set is not great, but that's a tradeoff I personally am fine with in small interior spaces.  The kitchen is mostly nocopy gacha, I'd want to pick it up afterwards. Lalala....

Actually, about 20 posts above mine you can see a camper build from @Shali Manx  that I think is terrific.  I love the vegetation she added outside, and the interior is both pretty and peaceful.  So many talented people here in the forums!

sounds great to me, Nika!  Remind me, which model that is?  I've been sending out confirmations tonight, so need to check to see that camper is still available

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since there are 8 Camper styles, there are actually a total of 20 styles across the 4 themes.

yes.. and although I only originally had 4 of the camper styles on the form, they are all now on it.  I'd love to get all 8 filled for that total of 20 styles, if we can pull it off.  Will update soon on what's still available.  Thank you!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nikki Mathieson said:

Halfway there.  Still available as of now...  we need more sign ups!!  Spread the word, please

Campers - Laramie, Newport, Sequoia, Shenandoah, Sun Valley

Houseboats - Evening Star and Windlass

Traditionals - Wincester

Victorians - Doyle and Shelley

I am also interested in taking the Doyle, Evening Star or Winchester too if nobody wants it! Loved those models.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.