The Linden Homes Photo Thread Comes ALIVE at the Home & Garden Expo for RFL!

Nikki Mathieson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:44 PM, Nikki Mathieson said:

The Home & Garden Expo, in support of Relay For Life of Second Life, opens on February 13th. At the Expo, there will be a Bellisserian region displaying one of every style of each of the themed homes...The goal is to show what can be done with a land impact of 351 and one Bellisserian themed home....

10 hours ago, Nikki Mathieson said:

Thank you ALL for your support!! as you visit the models.  and THANK YOU to the designers who stepped forward, I applaud you all!!

forum live 2020.jpg

Congratulations to all those involved for a wonderful job, so many fantastic decorating ideas.  I must admit, Interior decor has not been my talent, and learning to work with a limited amount of Land Impact can really be a challenge!  Your hard work and creativity is exactly the spark to help others fill their empty homes with charm.

I suspect there may be other residents like myself that might know how to link, maybe read a few articles\posts about LODS\linking\triangles (oh my!) but never really getting "it" or noticeable results and living with a somewhat minimalist interior.   

With this abundance of talent, and ample Bellisseria fairground space, perhaps a future event to empower residents with these skills could be fun?  "Get the most from your Linden Home" type event could be something to consider, with linking demo's or lectures from some of this group's amazing creatives.  Basics for beginners on linking, how to spot a good lod vs bad , high load vs low, mesh vs sculpt, why triangle counts matter on your next purchase.  " Link & decorate like pro with (insert designer's name)."    And if this was held outside of Belli, I'd pay good $L to attend, too.  

image.gif

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I did not link "functional" items like bed, sofas and chairs. I took out on/off switches from lamps and linked them. Because I do not turn lamps on/off in SL anyway.

Take a look at my light system I put as a freebie in my style card... It leave the script in the light itself as non-interactive, and that seems to keep such scripts from impacting land-impact. Light control ends up managed by a central switch and by the SL-sun position.

It would need some editing to use - it turns a face of the object you it in to glow/fullbright when flipped on and so you need to find the right face (it turns ALL faces glow off when turned off so it's safe to experiment unless the object is supposed to glow when the light is off).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Thank you for the compliment on Hardy! 🥰

I am most happy with the garden. When I logged in there first, I had an: "Oh no" moment. Because I am spoiled in Bellisseria with much more landscaping. So it is satisfying to see that I made a new garden, did not copy my "own" Hardy. This morning I woke up and thought: Oh no, did I credit the fence? I don't know what I can do about it, it is a major feature in the garden. I must log in and check. Maybe I am allowed to submit a changed notecard, @Nikki Mathieson?

I changed a bit inside too, but the main layout is the same. But not the "out of period" room upstairs. I had prims enough for a guest room in the same style, but wanted a break.

Yes, @Pussycat Catnapand @Elora Lunasea, it is about linking and also not only keeping an eye on the Li, but totally obsessed with Li.

I did not link "functional" items like bed, sofas and chairs. I took out on/off switches from lamps and linked them. Because I do not turn lamps on/off in SL anyway.

The Hardy is the one people notice, but I am most pleased with the Windlass. It is the best houseboat I decorated. Before, I have crammed in a bath insert and forced a bed in behind some wall. For the first time, I have a skybox for bath and bedroom. This makes it a functional home. Not a "look at how much decor I managed to press in".

If I had a partner in SL, I could not maneuver the camera in a bed that was so tucked away. I have only a half wall in the boat, and glass railings that keep it an open area. Plus a skybox that has space and air around the tub and bed. And a rezzed boat, ready to sail away with.

I got a comment on it inworld. I think the Hardy is pretty to look at , but the houseboat is where people imagine they can move in.

Your houseboat blew Ghosty and I away completely. I didn't realize at first that it was yours. Then, suddenly, did and when I told him that it was the same person that did the Hardy he was amazed considering how different the styles are.  And then, I remembered you said there was a sky box, found the teleport and we went up there and WOW. Both of us just stood there with our mouths agape. Needless to say, I bought that sky box lol.

Ghosty truly had no idea just how much one could pack into these homes, let alone a freakin' sky box to boot. Then...he saw the boat moored there also. 

He rents property on a private estate and has a houseboat but he's seriously reconsidering his SL housing after seeing just how much really can be done in Belli 🤣 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Thank you for the compliment on Hardy! 🥰

I am most happy with the garden. When I logged in there first, I had an: "Oh no" moment. Because I am spoiled in Bellisseria with much more landscaping. So it is satisfying to see that I made a new garden, did not copy my "own" Hardy. This morning I woke up and thought: Oh no, did I credit the fence? I don't know what I can do about it, it is a major feature in the garden. I must log in and check. Maybe I am allowed to submit a changed notecard, @Nikki Mathieson?

I changed a bit inside too, but the main layout is the same. But not the "out of period" room upstairs. I had prims enough for a guest room in the same style, but wanted a break.

Yes, @Pussycat Catnapand @Elora Lunasea, it is about linking and also not only keeping an eye on the Li, but totally obsessed with Li.

The Hardy is the one people notice, but I am most pleased with the Windlass. It is the best houseboat I decorated. Before, I have crammed in a bath insert and forced a bed in behind some wall. For the first time, I have a skybox for bath and bedroom. This makes it a functional home. Not a "look at how much decor I managed to press in".

If I had a partner in SL, I could not maneuver the camera in a bed that was so tucked away. I have only a half wall in the boat, and glass railings that keep it an open area. Plus a skybox that has space and air around the tub and bed. And a rezzed boat, ready to sail away with.

I got a comment on it inworld. I think the Hardy is pretty to look at , but the houseboat is where people imagine they can move in.

yes, I'm happy to switch out style cards, Marianne.  No problem at all

1 hour ago, Mitch Merricks said:

Congratulations to all those involved for a wonderful job, so many fantastic decorating ideas.  I must admit, Interior decor has not been my talent, and learning to work with a limited amount of Land Impact can really be a challenge!  Your hard work and creativity is exactly the spark to help others fill their empty homes with charm.

I suspect there may be other residents like myself that might know how to link, maybe read a few articles\posts about LODS\linking\triangles (oh my!) but never really getting "it" or noticeable results and living with a somewhat minimalist interior.   

With this abundance of talent, and ample Bellisseria fairground space, perhaps a future event to empower residents with these skills could be fun?  "Get the most from your Linden Home" type event could be something to consider, with linking demo's or lectures from some of this group's amazing creatives.  Basics for beginners on linking, how to spot a good lod vs bad , high load vs low, mesh vs sculpt, why triangle counts matter on your next purchase.  " Link & decorate like pro with (insert designer's name)."    And if this was held outside of Belli, I'd pay good $L to attend, too.  

image.gif

Ohhhh I love this idea, Mitch!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Oops I just mentioned the skybox in the OTHER thread (that looks just like this one to me). It's confusing having two with such similar titles. lol

Anyway, the skybox was a very cool idea and I'm glad I noticed the TP and had a look!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oops I just mentioned the skybox in the OTHER thread (that looks just like this one to me). It's confusing having two with such similar titles. lol

Anyway, the skybox was a very cool idea and I'm glad I noticed the TP and had a look!

yeahhh sorry for the confusion.  This one got untacked and can go to sleep now.  The other one is the official event announcement and not so much about the preparations and organizing.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, Nika Talaj said:

Right now, the regions "Bellisseria Demo" & "Bellisseria Demo 2" are open for anyone to TP in!   The map covers are still in place, but the regions are open to the public :)  Perhaps we should regard this as a private showing for those in the know, because the Home & Garden show that these regions are attached to is not open at this moment - cannot cross into those regions. 

There is no landing point set yet, but there is an obvious place for one in each region:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Demo/128/128/23

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bellisseria Demo 2/131/128/23

The website for the show (https://slhomegardenexpo.com/) only has two posts relating to this year's show, the rest is either left over info from 2019 or blank.  The banner for 2019 has been taken down, and all that's left is a template banner.  The most recent post, a PrimPerfect call for presenters, makes reference to presentations starting on Sunday.  The other post is an announcement of show dates intended for participants, and does indeed state that the show will open today.  Many green dots are in the H&G areas, but it doesn't seem to be open yet, and no time is given on the website.

The show's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HomeAndGardenExpoSL/) does not appear to have been updated since the 2019 expo.

There may be a rare SL ACS  organizational stumble in progress, but you guys' show homes look terrific!   Each parcel has signage with style card etc., but so far I haven't seen any RFL donation kiosks.  But anyway, thanks to ACS for hosting this wonderful event!

p.s. The "Linden Reveal" region has been detached from the show and now resides slightly northeast on the grid.  On the map, it still looks like the Christmas Expo version.

ETA: Usually I would leave it to Nikki to announce this, but she isn't usually around until much later.  Expectations were set for today, so apologies Nikki if I've jumped the gun.

• Like 1

Is there a definitive guide/listing of exactly where each vendor is located this year? It's utterly impossible to find anything being how large the area is. I was flying over and it's just seriously too much without having landmarks to creator areas. Would love to be able to support this event but just randomly walking/flying around is not an effective way to do so. 

30 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Is there a definitive guide/listing of exactly where each vendor is located this year? It's utterly impossible to find anything being how large the area is. I was flying over and it's just seriously too much without having landmarks to creator areas. Would love to be able to support this event but just randomly walking/flying around is not an effective way to do so. 

sure can be.  I thought people would want to walk around, but my bad...  I will put a notecard in the sign with give script as soon as I get home today.

2 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Is there a definitive guide/listing of exactly where each vendor is located this year?

Elora, if you're asking about the actual expo, the expo website seems to have been updated! 

https://slhomegardenexpo.com/shopping-guide/

It's not as easy to use as Seraphim, but it helps.  You pick a merchant you're interested in and this page tells you what region they're in.  Then you go to the "Shopping Guide and Hope Regions" pulldown menu.  If you're looking for one of the sponsors, there's a direct link to their store on that region.  For non-sponsors,  there's s a link to the shopping mall on that region.  I think you have to search manually from there.

There are tons of little businesses I've never heard of, I think it will take me a while to go through this expo!  There are also two regions of gacha arcades, 3 and 7. 

This @Kaerri Rae person who designed the malls has created a masterpiece of functional, lag-free design with little decorator touches.  Culprit hovercraft, anyone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Elora, if you're asking about the actual expo, the expo website seems to have been updated! 

https://slhomegardenexpo.com/shopping-guide/

It's not as easy to use as Seraphim, but it helps.  You pick a merchant you're interested in and this page tells you what region they're in.  Then you go to the "Shopping Guide and Hope Regions" pulldown menu.  If you're looking for one of the sponsors, there's a direct link to their store on that region.  For non-sponsors,  there's s a link to the shopping mall on that region.  I think you have to search manually from there.

There are tons of little businesses I've never heard of, I think it will take me a while to go through this expo!  There are also two regions of gacha arcades, 3 and 7. 

This @Kaerri Rae person who designed the malls has created a masterpiece of functional, lag-free design with little decorator touches.  Culprit hovercraft, anyone?

I have had a chance to play in the hovercraft for a little bit.  FUN stuff!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

According to the dates in this thread,

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR THE SHOW HOMES!!!!

So if you're like me and let RL actually supplant SL time (horrors!), go today and maybe you'll see Litta in her rolled up sweat pants and slipon sneakers as she frantically tears around adding detail to her 'tips' notecard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The time has ended for the Bellisseria demo homes display, adjoined to the Home Expo.  Designers who have items set up there have all been messaged to clean up.  I can't return items there but the Lindens will if that's what you prefer.  Thank you SO much for participating.  The show was just amazing.  Thank you to everyone who came to walk through.  Hopefully we can do it again sometime!!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Nikki Mathieson said:

The time has ended for the Bellisseria demo homes display, adjoined to the Home Expo.  Designers who have items set up there have all been messaged to clean up.  I can't return items there but the Lindens will if that's what you prefer.  Thank you SO much for participating.  The show was just amazing.  Thank you to everyone who came to walk through.  Hopefully we can do it again sometime!!  

Thanks for the heads up Nikki, I normally wouldn't have seen that message until much later in the day since I don't log in until I get home from work. I do, however, get messages from here regularly.

Luckily (or unluckily as it is) I'm working from home due to world circumstances so I'll be able to pop in early and clean up my house.

Thank you to everyone for the opportunity to be part of this wonderful event which benefits a cause near and dear to my own heart. I look forward to being part of it in coming years. And special shout out to @Nika Talaj for calling out to me about it as I'm sure I probably wouldn't have been aware of the home show part of this otherwise.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.