There can be only one...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

34 minutes ago, animats said:

Yes. Read reviews by new users. Gamers today complain about games that can only maintain 60FPS. SL has trouble maintaining 24, let alone 30.

The viewer needs to maintain 30FPS at all times, even if that means not drawing or texturing some distant objects.

Appreciate your work, but I think it  might be more beneficial to somehow convey to new (potential) members how SL actually works now. I guess  SL might attract more gamers now than even when I joined a few years ago, but how about explaining to the gamers that 60 FPS might require some tweaking, and that FPS isn't the be all, end all of this "game"?

Edited by HeathcliffMontague
Spelling

I want to suggest drawing beginning with near objects progressing toward far objects and cut-off at a frame-time limit but I know that would look weird.

It would also be a pain to implement.  It would be like an artist painting on glass where the artwork is to be viewed from the unpainted side.  I have seen film rendering of animations that worked this way but they implemented it with a granular Z-depth.  Each successive distance had to be clipped by all the nearer distances before being sent to the LASER printing system to be laid into the film emulsion.

Hmm...  Now I want to build a diorama in Second Life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Yes. Read reviews by new users. Gamers today complain about games that can only maintain 60FPS. SL has trouble maintaining 24, let alone 30.

The viewer needs to maintain 30FPS at all times, even if that means not drawing or texturing some distant objects.

I have a heck of an idea.  A viewer that defaults when entering a new sim to settings that will deliver 30 FPS.  I'm no techy, but surely that could be accomplished, while allowing people who would choose lag over, say, draw distance to make that determination.  That would help new users have a better initial experience.  It would also force sim owners to do their part, as people coming to sim lagged out by traffic bots and ultra-scripty crap would quickly leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, animats said:

This is funny since (as I've read in science magazines) the science of human vision states that human eyes can see a maximum of 45 frames per second (which is why movie films are 24 frames, doubled-up to 48). Anything more does nothing to improve "motion perception" whatsoever. Must be some silly placebo thing: "Itz moar, so itz BETTAH!"

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I have a heck of an idea.  A viewer that defaults when entering a new sim to settings that will deliver 30 FPS.  I'm no techy, but surely that could be accomplished, while allowing people who would choose lag over, say, draw distance to make that determination.  That would help new users have a better initial experience.  It would also force sim owners to do their part, as people coming to sim lagged out by traffic bots and ultra-scripty crap would quickly leave.

This already exists, somewhat, though not dynamically.

Create your graphic settings for crowded places and save it as a preset. That's what I do. I have a present I call "Crowds" with drops settings significantly, and varying levels of grahics eye-candy up to the Ultra level. Then I just hover over that press icon in the top right and with one-click: graphics changed to maintain frames-per-second and mitigate lag.

Edited by Alyona Su

I play Eve as a game and they have a help channel staffed by vetted volunteers who will answer questions. I think this would be a good thing to see in SL especially if there was a centrally curated set of links useful to newbies such as "such and such places offers this to new accounts" an example being I keep a link around to a store that gifts 500l$ gift cards to accounts under 30 days old

Just to add yes I know there are ones like firestorm already. Eve however automatically joins new accounts to the group for the first 30 days and they keep an eye on the volunteers which is the difference

Edited by KanryDrago

6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

This is funny since (as I've read in science magazines) the science of human vision states that human eyes can see a maximum of 45 frames per second (which is why movie films are 24 frames, doubled-up to 48). Anything more does nothing to improve "motion perception" whatsoever. Must be some silly placebo thing: "Itz moar, so itz BETTAH!"

This already exists, somewhat, though not dynamically.

Create your graphic settings for crowded places and save it as a preset. That's what I do. I have a present I call "Crowds" with drops settings significantly, and varying levels of grahics eye-candy up to the Ultra level. Then I just hover over that press icon in the top right and with one-click: graphics changed to maintain frames-per-second and mitigate lag.

All well and good for those of us who have been here and know how.  A noob would not know how and would likely not be bothered to try, just move on to something else.

smoother region crossings

They need to do something with the mesh avatards rezzing in all naked. I am frankly sick of that *****.  Flying heads/bodies/shoes/brains come on.  Honestly that is one thing that makes me wanna scream. Even in G regions.. naked bodies all over.   I am not a prude, I just don't want to see your landing strip and perky nips and your cockless male bodies unless I slip you a dollar first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

All well and good for those of us who have been here and know how.  A noob would not know how and would likely not be bothered to try, just move on to something else.

If you know how then your OC was rather disingenuous, was it not? Just asking, that's all.

53 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

If you know how then your OC was rather disingenuous, was it not? Just asking, that's all.

I think you're missing the point I am tried to make.  A new SL user comes on, goes to a popular place, and is lagged into jello.  They get frustrated and leave, and SL loses a potential resident.  If the viewer were set to a default that automatically optimized the settings for the surroundings (turning off some features, scaling back draw distance, etc.) to achieve target performance parameters (especially FPS) then their initial experience would be far better.  The noob will not bother to try and figure out HOW to do this themselves, they will simply chase the next bright shiny object in cyberspace and never return.  Later on, the noob would likely learn how to adjust it on their own, so they can derender anyone overly complex while still getting other extra special optical effects, etc.

This week my request would be (and I need to learn to make a JIRA I guess...) is ability to leave certain stores out of a MP search. One of my SL activities is costuming for Ballet Pixelle dance company. It would really make my searches so much easier if I could eliminate the shops/makers who make things that I know we will never use for costuming. I do use ‘NOT storename’ which works sometimes but not consistently, depending on the listing and keywords used. I am building myself a little page of search strings. But it’s a slog. 

58 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Would be cool to have the option to still see everyone's usernames when 'Show friends only' has been selected.. so you don't have to render everyone but avoid bumping into them.

I use minimap, then just start walking and avoiding the green dot.

S.I.M.

P.L.E.

:D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.