There can be only one...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What, in your opinion, do you think is the single most important thing that LL could actually do in 2020 to ‘improve’ SL? 
And yes, I realize this is a very subjective question and answers about what constitutes ‘improvement’ can vary widely depending on preferences, focus, personal reasons & goals etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

they need to find a way to reduce lag at busier sims. 

That's actually pretty easy: remove people, the fewer people; the less lag. Or make all others beyond yourself a jelly doll.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

There are already several ways.

Lower your complexity settings so that avatars over your chosen settings are rendered as jelly dolls.

Refuce non-impostor avatars to 1 (that will be yourself).

De-render complex avatars individually.

Set your preferences to render friends only.

Additionally, turn off Local Lights, Attached lights and Advanced Lighting.

• Like 1

It was pretty obvious, given the context of this thread, that Tolya meant "find a way to reduce lag at busier sims without dropping graphics settings". And that would make a pretty significant impact to "improving" SL, without a doubt. Perhaps not feasible; but it doesn't have to be, this is a wish-list thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I’m assuming keeping the people and your normal settings, and having some back end fix from the LL? Am I understanding correctly? It’s a good wish, this thread is for ideas. 

30 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Perhaps not feasible; but it doesn't have to be, this is a wish-list thread.

Exactly. Wishing, daydreaming about something and then looking at things fresh from a ‘ok, then...what would I wish most’ perspective is a good thing to me. I’ll probably answer this thread a few times myself to distill it down. Maybe some JIRAs for feature requests will happen too. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon

GPU based lighting rendering or multicore/thread cpu based rendering.

Right now SL still treats a lot of graphical management as if it were 2006, it wants the CPU to do stuff that GPUs can do now with ease, and it only wants 1-2 cores to do it. Thats why SL's performance sucks on anything.

That an unified LOD downscaling to avoid those things like 40k triangle chairs with 10mb of textures each ruining framerate in other ways. Performance is a key limiter for SL in 2020. The rest of the computer world is moving past 1080p, past 60hz, 1440p 120hz+ is becoming more and more common every day, its no longer just fringe enthusiasts using high resolution and high refresh rate monitors. The rest of computer hardware even at entry levels is capable of it, so a game that struggles to get a consistent framerate and probably cant hit over 60 consistently with anything meaningful on the screen isnt going to be desirable to much of anyone.

If the content wasnt so bloated and unregulated, and the games engine could actually utilize your hardware like its not 2006, then otherwise Sl is not a complicated game to run. Its in fact pretty light when you think about the actual features there, the lighting is nice but not complex, theres no crazy physics going on, its otherwise the graphical peak of the late 2000's, which shouldnt be a problem for anything.

It could be playable, but it would be a big change.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

There are already several ways.

Lower your complexity settings so that avatars over your chosen settings are rendered as jelly dolls.

Refuce non-impostor avatars to 1 (that will be yourself).

De-render complex avatars individually.

Set your preferences to render friends only.

Additionally, turn off Local Lights, Attached lights and Advanced Lighting.

All well and good for you and me.

But for someone who is coming into SL for the first time, they're going to gravitate to places with people (either by search or referral).  If their early experiences are walking through jello while watching badly animated avatars moving around like an amateurish cartoon, they are most likely to put it down to "SL sucks" rather than patiently wading through all the techy stuff on how to optimize their browser, and then move on to something less prone to inspiring headaches.

I was talking about from LL's end - such as upgrading their infrastructure.  Besides, all your suggestions are the opposite of improving a user's experience.  At best, they may reduce lag while definitely reducing the visual appeal.

• Like 1

Throw out the entire new resident experience and rebuild it from the ground up with tutorials and exercises people will actually find useful to make themselves look like the avatars they see in the advertisements, and how to find places and people that will interest them. 

Take THAT, people who think I never criticize LL...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I’m assuming keeping the people and your normal settings, and having some back end fix from the LL? Am I understanding correctly? It’s a good wish, this thread is for ideas. 

Exactly. Wishing, daydreaming about something and then looking at things fresh from a ‘ok, then...what would I wish most’ perspective is a good thing to me. I’ll probably answer this thread a few times myself to distill it down. Maybe some JIRAs for feature requests will happen too. 

You are understanding correctly.  Lag is seldom an issue for me, but I suspect it is the biggest reason new users walk back out the door and move on.

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Make VR work in SL!!   ooops...I think this belongs in the 'unpopular opinions' thread    :)

i think there are only so many people against that because theyre technological luddites who despise that SL has actual competition in the form of VRchat

Speaking of which, is a massive social avatar game where you can do just about anything, but it doesnt run like total ass all the time. Its really nice to sit around with your friends and pull 120fps in an orate build with 20 other people without having to drop settings, and not even on crazy high end hardware.

Imagine if they dropped some of the rules and integrated more of a user run market, i would say that would be the nail in the coffin for SL. What reason would a new user have to stick around here if another game offered the same thing and wasnt a laggy disaster?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

i think there are only so many people against that because theyre technological luddites who despise that SL has actual competition in the form of VRchat

Never heard of that place, nor am I a "luddite", but I still have no interest in having VR in SL. If that other place is so very amazing, the VR fans can use it, and LL can then work on other things that will be relevant for more of the population. 

As for the topic of this thread, I would like LL to produce a mobile version of SL. That is a feature that many have requested. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Never heard of that place, nor am I a "luddite"

not knowing what vrchat is is what makes you a technological luddite, its 2020, its an equivalent in the social gaming sphere to any of the big titles, SL, IMVU, Habbo, etc

it doesnt require VR either, it can be played with a mouse and keyboard without issue

its SL's big competition, its why our own weird vr world thing linden labs was working on was pretty much KIA, we should be looking at what vrchat did right and working that into SL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

technological luddite

Just because you're being an ass about people who've never heard of VRChat (count me in those numbers as well), I'm afraid I'm going to have to point out that you are misusing the word "luddite". 

Definition of Luddite
: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest
broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change

Never having heard of something isn't equivalent to being opposed to change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

not knowing what vrchat is is what makes you a technological luddite, its 2020, its an equivalent in the social gaming sphere to any of the big titles, SL, IMVU, Habbo, etc

it doesnt require VR either, it can be played with a mouse and keyboard without issue

its SL's big competition, its why our own weird vr world thing linden labs was working on was pretty much KIA, we should be looking at what vrchat did right and working that into SL

I'm sure vrchat appreciates the very positive, engaging way that you are advertising them here on SL forums, particularly the part where you repeatedly insult SL users. 

• Like 2

Maybe the reason all those VRChat YouTube videos look like Ahern to me (and to the rest of us old timers) is because ANY VR video looks chaotic when shown on a stationary screen, due to the fact that the VR user is constantly looking around and it makes the viewpoint chaotic by nature.  It does not look that way when you are the one wearing the goggles and doing the looking around.

Plus, all those Voice users make it really difficult to follow a conversation.

Maybe it's the future, but I won't know for sure until I get VR up and running here at Castel Kidd.

As for MY wish, I'm still holding out for cloth dynamics for clothing and hair.  Maybe if we get Cheesecurd's multithreading we could have that without adding too much to the lag.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

5 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

They have stable performance, a more laid back and simplistic atmosphere, and dont discourage just messing around. Thats why there are dozens of people happily chatting together and actually doing things in their various locations, meanwhile in SL if you find more than 10 people somewhere, theyre shopping, theyre half afk, or theyre bots.

Oh yeah, im definitely advertising VRchat, lets twist it that way. Sorry but 99% of the comments on this forum are made by women in their mid 40's who have no idea how to write out anything that doesnt sound like a passive aggressive jab, merely fitting the quota myself :)

You contradict yourself by doing it again. No twisting needed. 

As for paragraph two, you just nullified any reason that anyone might have to take your comments seriously. 

take care.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.