Exploratorium Sim and SciLands Shutdown!

Peryda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, TDD123 said:

Now here's your problem : people remain unconserned no matter your opinion. What you consider invaluable scientifical education is disposable and perhaps outdated ("been there, seen that") knowledge. I've had a discussion like this here regarding an artwork. Let's not rake that one up though.

Essentially what I am trying to say is : If you want the sim preserved quickly, buy it. Regarding Lindenlab : they will preserve the sim if they consider it neccesary. Not sooner. Hardly anybody, especially not the community here or Lindenlab in general. else will either care or be able to save it. Many brilliant sim aside this one, was lost this way.

Good luck.

No wonder.

search1.JPG

search2.JPG

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peryda said:

No wonder.

What the .. ?

You apparantly keep projecting what's keeping your mind busy onto others with figures that are easily manipulated to boast being on top of the list.

I guess you are like them too, because you keep spurting out the same subject you accuse others of.

You made my ignore list. I knew I forgot something.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

So you're going to double down on your quite incorrect assertion while spouting off a link to Dullahan (which has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual regions/simulators) as well as a screenshot showing Singularity, two Dullahan hosts and two instances of SLplugin?

All that to deflect from everything else?

I'll simplify this for you: Second Life regions/simulators are not Web Pages just as MMO world servers are not Web Pages. Being served over the Internet/from a server does not automatically make something a Web Page, despite it being able to be classified as Web Content (yes, there is a difference).

You can attempt to argue over it all you'd like but the simple reality is that it was brought up by you as a deflection tactic. Sorry, not going to work.

irdgaf.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

What the .. ?

You apparantly keep projection what's keeping your mind busy onto others with figures that are easily manipulated to boast being on top of the list.

I guess you are like them too, because you keept spurting out the same subject you accuse others of.

You made my ignore list. I knew I forgot something.

Thank god.

• Haha 1

Peryda, I remember the Exploratorium region - it was one of the first places I visited when I was new In SL, having been to the San Francisco Exploratorium many times over the years in real life. 

However, I do not think that Linden Lab has an obligation to keep science or other education regions alive in-world, beyond the region cost discount that they provide for non-profits.  If in fact they did host the sims for a number of months without requiring payment, than to me it sounds as if Linden Lab was working with the organizations and giving them time to work out future funding sources.

Your open letter might be better sent to the Board of Directors of the organizations behind the Exploratorium regions and the SciLands regions.  Perhaps there are reasons why they are deciding not to continue with funding the SL regions?   I would imagine that there are more internal expenses involved than just the monthly tier cost to Linden Lab - I'm thinking internal staff costs for planning/running the projects, builds, presentations, etc., on the SL regions. I imagine those expenses might be bigger monthly costs than the region tier.   Do we know how much of a priority these regions are for the overall mission of the organizations?  Are the regions still meeting the goals that they had when they created the regions?   Have you reached out to their Board of Directors to let them know how much you value the regions being in SL, and your wish to have them remain there?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peryda said:

Some stuff

I don't mean to be a douche, but, seriously, c'est la 2nd vie.  It obviously wasn't important enough to enough people who were willing to subsidize it through donations.  If you want it to stay around so badly, then finance them.  LL is not a charity and do not exist to guarantee access to your own personal favorite spot.

Oh, and this IS the internet.  Threatening to cancel your accounts and other such nonsense will generally only get you replies such as this:  image.png.fbea02a45020fa3aa31c6cb4b0d7e0b6.png

Edited take out an extra word that my proofreading missed, lest the OP turn into...image.thumb.png.45a729afeed120bf5de26d675567a8ce.png

Edited by Tolya Ugajin
because I know the OP is such a grammar nazi...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

Peryda, I remember the Exploratorium region - it was one of the first places I visited when I was new In SL, having been to the San Francisco Exploratorium many times over the years in real life. 

However, I do not think that Linden Lab has an obligation to keep science or other education regions alive in-world, beyond the region cost discount that they provide for non-profits.  If in fact they did host the sims for a number of months without requiring payment, than to me it sounds as if Linden Lab was working with the organizations and giving them time to work out future funding sources.

Your open letter might be better sent to the Board of Directors of the organizations behind the Exploratorium regions and the SciLands regions.  Perhaps there are reasons why they are deciding not to continue with funding the SL regions?   I would imagine that there are more internal expenses involved than just the monthly tier cost to Linden Lab - I'm thinking internal staff costs for planning/running the projects, builds, presentations, etc., on the SL regions. I imagine those expenses might be bigger monthly costs than the region tier.   Do we know how much of a priority these regions are for the overall mission of the organizations?  Are the regions still meeting the goals that they had when they created the regions?   Have you reached out to their Board of Directors to let them know how much you value the regions being in SL, and your wish to have them remain there?

Maybe because sl is overrun by sex ads and strange fetish sims and they just don't see it as a productive way to spend their money.  If i was in charge of a university or science foundation and took a quick breeze through the secondlife world i'd probably cut funding on it too.  Its up to linden to consider the prospect of their own website.  you know, other media (and this is media) has had such issues. They degenerate into like a brothel and then no one uses them anymore.  Someone else will make a better one.  I think SL has a lot of great potential more than just that, but if they keep cutting real interesting areas due to them not having funding and don't donate some of their profit to allowing interesting and educational operations exist for free, then it will be just that.  I mean a non-profit application for a region or partial region.  I don't think that would be putting them out much cash.  I will certainly leave once there is nothing left to do but talk to furries and child avatars with a 50 year old adult behind them.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80167459

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I don't mean to be a douche, but, seriously, c'est la 2nd vie.  It obviously wasn't important enough to enough people who were willing to subsidize it through donations.  If you want it to stay around so badly, then finance them.  LL is not a charity and are do not exist to guarantee access to your own personal favorite spot.

Oh, and this IS the internet.  Threatening to cancel your accounts and other such nonsense will generally only get you replies such as this:  image.png.fbea02a45020fa3aa31c6cb4b0d7e0b6.png

Ha ha that's what they said to Crimea (river).  In the end.

• Haha 1

I seem to have overlooked my invitation to the Secret Enclave. Resend pls? New Year’s Party soon? 😉

seriously, what is it with the people demanding free rent for things lately? I’ve seen a ton of amazing SL things close and my partner and I DID buy and run a sim/shop cooperative (Doll Factory 🏭) that would have otherwise gone away,  we liked it a lot, we met great people and had many great experiences with it for a while and then we moved in a different direction. 
It’s perfectly reasonable to expect for people to either seek grants, Angel investors, sponsors or backers, form cooperatives/communities or pay for projects/things themselves if they want them to manifest and to continue...usually it can take a combination of things mentioned to mount and run SL projects. And yes, MANY of us volunteer on many levels to make some of them happen, but we don’t expect a free ride just because ‘I made a thing’. That’s basically what Open Sim. is for IMO? 
Yes a few extraordinary things have been preserved in SL, but not everything can or should be. Regardless of any ideals about things (and yes most everyone has them, just like opinions and bellybuttons),  Linden Lab is a privately held company in business to make money as any other company. No profit for them, no SL for us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I don't mean to be a douche, but, seriously, c'est la 2nd vie.  It obviously wasn't important enough to enough people who were willing to subsidize it through donations.  If you want it to stay around so badly, then finance them.  LL is not a charity and are do not exist to guarantee access to your own personal favorite spot.

(ps this is some kind of hoodrat not a russian spy)

5 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I seem to have overlooked my invitation to the Secret Enclave. Resend pls? New Year’s Party soon? 😉

seriously, what is it with the people demanding free rent for things lately? I’ve seen a ton of amazing SL things close and my partner and I DID buy and run a sim/shop cooperative (Doll Factory 🏭) that would have otherwise gone away,  we liked it a lot, we met great people and had many great experiences with it for a while and then we moved in a different direction. 
It’s perfectly reasonable to expect for people to either seek grants, Angel investors, sponsors or backers, form cooperatives/communities or pay for projects/things themselves if they want them to manifest and to continue...usually it can take a combination of things mentioned to mount and run SL projects. And yes, MANY of us volunteer on many levels to make some of them happen, but we don’t expect a free ride just because ‘I made a thing’. That’s basically what Open Sim. is for IMO? 
Yes a few extraordinary things have been preserved in SL, but not everything can or should be. Regardless of any ideals about things (and yes most everyone has them, just like opinions and bellybuttons),  Linden Lab is a privately held company in business to make money as any other company. No profit for them, no SL for us. 

Yup and corps that keep employees offer reduced childcare and free lunch.  Like the MGM Grand is on one of the best places to work list.  Other places that don't follow labor laws and enforce kids to work 15 hours a day 7 days a week and live in a tenement usually get shut down by gov't due to riots and become an anarchist region for drug dealers and prostitutes to run around "griefing" people so they then form a caravan to escape and seek employment elsewhere.

Edited by Peryda

1 minute ago, Peryda said:

free lunch.

The Lab does have a catered lunch weekly, I think? Also you can bring your dog To work. You are confusing employee benefits with customer service. If you are not pleased with the SL customer service, there are also practical ways to address that too. Write a letter to Linden Lab? The rest of us here are also customers. And your way of stating things so far has not compelled any support here, has it? No. You get more bees wit honey than with salt and vinegar. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

If you really want to support a region, @Peryda maybe you should learn the practical ways already in place to try and do so? 
I’ll go see this region today and see what I think. 

3D05D42D-0B02-4C68-938B-75F08578A7EB.jpeg

Sorry grl i stopped playing Magic "The Gathering" when I was 12.  

“NO DAMN CAT, AND NO DAMN CRADLE.”

“No damn cat, and no damn cradle.”
“No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat’s cradle is nothing but a bunch of X’s between somebody’s hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X’s …” Kurt Vonnegut

46 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

The Lab does have a catered lunch weekly, I think? Also you can bring your dog To work. You are confusing employee benefits with customer service. If you are not pleased with the SL customer service, there are also practical ways to address that too. Write a letter to Linden Lab? The rest of us here are also customers. And your way of stating things so far has not compelled any support here, has it? No. You get more bees wit honey than with salt and vinegar. 

Sorry, I don't have any honey for you.  Get a job and pay for your own region.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Probably time for a Mod to File 13 this thread...

Considering the tone the OP has decided to take and their most recent responses.... 

The thread certainly needs a lock, yes. It ought to remain up and unaltered however, to act as a record of their shenanigans. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

a record of their shenanigans

I kind of love that you use the word "shenanigans."

Now I'm imagining you as a sort of Fred MacMurray type.

281733364_fred-macmurray-blank.jpg.8a90d4ae589c5fce570900dceda18772.jpg

Except, maybe, with attitude.

(Also, you make cookies. I don't think Fred made cookies.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.