blown away in sinespace: can you do this with an outfit in SL?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This only works because the skirt is so short.

clothskincollisions.png.dec81c5642db0a50e6cf84da25cb430d.png

Cloth goes through skin. This wouldn't work for a longer dress.

Similar idea in Second Life, from 2007.

Does this work with modern avatars? Animesh? And what does the "Cloth physics" checkbox in Avatar Preferences turn on, anyway?

1 hour ago, Tenly said:

watch the video, blew me away to see the lace and the fabric actually move with the avatars body. Like REAL motion. I still cant believe I am seeing it and IDK how come they can do it in Sinespace but not in sl!

There are quite a few things that Sinespace does better than SL (or Sansar) and the autohide feature really does work well. Not sure about a longer skirt as I haven't tried them but in general it is leaps and bounds beyond SL. They have some great tech --- just no people :D. 

• Thanks 1

It is likely due to priorities,  LL is always coming up with something new for SL,  so it may be in the works who knows.  But if it costs a lot to do, they most probably won't have it on their list.  SL is after all a business, a money making business,  as evidenced in rate increases across the board including the increased chunk they take from MP sales.  So unless something new is going to guarantee it will pay for itself I doubt it will happen.  Personally, I could do without, animesh,  and BOM is not quite how I envisioned it either,  and I do hope that idea of playing with those new environment settings they tried briefly, is dead in the water..  Having said that, I would love to see something like this in SL.  Been here almost 15 years, and I have seen a whole lot of really great improvements, can't knock that.. but I am afraid some of the things we would like, just ain't gonna happen.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/bag-Dress-Olivia-BENTO-WCH-Arcane-Spellcaster-Ak-Creations/14814915

9 hours ago, Tenly said:

watch the video, blew me away to see the lace and the fabric actually move with the avatars body. Like REAL motion. I still cant believe I am seeing it and IDK how come they can do it in Sinespace but not in sl!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/bag-DEMO-Skirt-Lara-MOVE-WCH-Arcane-Spellcaster-Ak-Creations/14395129

8 hours ago, animats said:

And what does the "Cloth physics" checkbox in Avatar Preferences turn on, anyway?

That was used to turn on a fake wind movement on the default avatar skirt and maybe also on sleeves and pants ends, can't remember for sure about these latter ones. 

Sine space uses Unity engine and as far as I have tried it, meshes can be turned into cloth simulated objects. I'm not really a clothing enthusiast creator myself, so I haven't tried, but in plain unity cloth can have colliders to block them and have capes not go through a character chest. However the character must have a set of collision capsules attached to the skeleton joints, and at this point I don't know whether sine space supports that in their editor extension, since it's an expensive feature usually activated on games main characters only. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 5:06 AM, Kweopi said:

I do like her clothes but I tried on 5  demos and the clothes hardly moved at all.  Nothing like in this video or even enough for me to purchase.

1 hour ago, KateaSL said:

I do like her clothes but I tried on 5  demos and the clothes hardly moved at all.  Nothing like in this video or even enough for me to purchase.

Probably important to note that the PREVIEW feature in the Store (very cool) is to let you see the fit. It is not an inworld preview.   So I am not surprised that the skirts don't move as your AVATAR ISN'T MOVING :D     or very little.   

And from comments on discord the mesh  movement (made in Unity - cringe) is done with sound somehow. NO CLUE.   There is a new long flexi prim dress out just a couple of days ago and it is impressive. The poly count is pretty high, but I don't know what the limits are there OR how that affects your experience.   

On 12/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, Kweopi said:

Unfortunately they use fake advertising in their MP store: "it moves with the wind!"  Say what? o.O
Well, it definitely does not move with the wind! The dresses are just rigged bento animated items. They repeat over and over again the same animation loop. There's nothing realistic in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KateaSL said:

I actually got demos and tried them out at home.  I have no idea what preview you are talking about in world. I haven't used it.

OK. Well then you know. There IS a very cool try it on before you buy feature WITHIN the viewer that let's you see both garments on your avatar as well as close up (and rotating) home and garden items. I suggest that you try that out sometime.

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. Well then you know. There IS a very cool try it on before you buy feature WITHIN the viewer that let's you see both garments on your avatar as well as close up (and rotating) home and garden items. I suggest that you try that out sometime.

Is this preview feature within the viewer in SL or in Sinespace?  From as far as I could follow, posts about Sinespace and a bento outfit which 'moves' in SL have been interwoven.

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Is this preview feature within the viewer in SL or in Sinespace?  From as far as I could follow, posts about Sinespace and a bento outfit which 'moves' in SL have been interwoven.

Yes, confusing. Agreed. And I might be confused too. The preview feature is in Sinespace.  You view the store (marketplace) through the viewer. Pick out an item and it shows it on your avatar so you can see how it looks. It also fits automatically (better than Sansar where you usually need to adjust yourself).  The problem is that there isn't all that much product in  Sinespace so that makes shopping both easier and more difficult. 

Took me awhile but I finally found this video of a new long dress. This is Sinespace, not SL whatever that was all about :D. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

So did I cause I was skeptical and curious.. and I gotta say my skepticism was definitely not misplaced.. lol  No way do these outfits do what they are advertised to do in SL... geeze!

Just for the record that was NOT my quote about trying out at home. The item "I" was talking about was in Sinespace (like the OP mentioned) There is no way to try out at home via demo in Sinespace, the try out feature is THROUGH the viewer.    I haven't tried either the Sinespace dress or the SL dress.   Yes, very confusing. 

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just for the record that was NOT my quote about trying out at home. The item "I" was talking about was in Sinespace (like the OP mentioned) There is no way to try out at home via demo in Sinespace, the try out feature is THROUGH the viewer.    I haven't tried either the Sinespace dress or the SL dress.   Yes, very confusing. 

oh very sorry about that...  I think my whole point is this:  the video was from Sinespace, but the dresses in question here are items in our SL Market Place, which are advertising movement and insinuating that it is the same as what you see in the video..  Thus after trying the demos in SL.. my conclusion was as stated: "So did I cause I was skeptical and curious.. and I gotta say my skepticism was definitely not misplaced.. lol  No way do these outfits do what they are advertised to do in SL... geeze!  No confusion... video for dress from Sinespace... item in SL maket place advertised to do what the video from Sinespace does... ergo false advertising period.

On 12/27/2019 at 1:18 AM, Tenly said:

That kinda effect can be done with something called a "strand base system."
How it works is basically some particles (as many as you like) attached to each other in a string like formation, then you "rig" that lace on the cuffs and the skirt to such strands, and then you run a simple simulation that keeps trying to keep those strands in a pre-determined formation within certain constrains and yes that includes the collision box of the avatar.
The result is it will lag behind the animation while it keeps trying to spring back into place, all and all, that kinda thing has been around in video games since the early-mid 2000's.

Just to be clear here, that is not something beyond the capabilities of LL, I mean look at what we have on Sansar:

967a918211b725a6cce07d7fdf8a3979.gif
a24c17107e4cbc634370cc7e4705fffa.gif
992f473680a6342bb7810a35886f39db.gif
9f5697d001661cbe324aab13d3128ed2.gif

Those gifs should impress you a lot more as they are technically more impressive. I would quite like that technology to be ported into SL, but, you know... easier said than done.
As always, it is a matter of how much time and money it would cost to implement such a thing in SL, it doesn't mean it never will be.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.