Voice-verified

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

She was attractive enough for him to kiss when they met

Ahhhh see, I have a different take on it. 'Twas not her attractiveness being tested there but her modesty.  He'd have kissed her no matter her visage, simply to test her responses.  One must be sure one is taking a modest wife, after all.  Will she let some stranger enter her private quarters and have his way? Yes and no... she knew her place well enough not to struggle but also gave every indication of being disinterested and without encouragement.  Fine line walked and test passed.

Really I do believe that she was simply older than he had been promised and, alas, possibly even beyond child-bearing years though her brother and his court spent great costs trying to forge and disguise it.  That Henry retired her as is dear "sister" was perhaps indicative of age as well as less-fortunate looks.

Post derailment level Ninja Warrior, your honor: amateur historical nonsense and balderdash! It is head-canon to me at least.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...sets loose a swarm of locusts, trained to boop noses.

mmm... fried locust... tasty.

http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/honey-spiced-locusts/

https://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Grasshoppers

Oh and chocolate covered ants are to die for.

http://www.chefdepot.net/chocolateants.htm

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I was little and Dad was cooking chili, he would sometimes find a spider lurking in the range hood, pluck it from the web, and drop it in the pot. My parents had been married 19 years by the time I was born, so Mom had ample time to come to terms with his behavior before I arrived. Because I never saw a reaction from her, I thought it was normal.

Now that I'm the one cooking, and invited guests sometimes have the most absurd reactions to a spider in their chili, it's beyond normal.

The fried grasshoppers I've had were small, and cooked crisp through and through. I think that's atypical, but probably intended not to freak out western patrons. The closest analog would be a spicy party/Chex mix, heavy on the pretzels and far less dense. I'm sure I have no idea what the underlying grasshoppers taste like. I can say that the black ants I see everywhere in my lawn are sour. Curiosity is a wonderful thing.

Though raw bugs are safer to eat than raw mammals, like mammals they are safest and most delicious when cooked and appropriately spiced.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I was little and Dad was cooking chili, he would sometimes find a spider lurking in the range hood, pluck it from the web, and drop it in the pot. My parents had been married 19 years by the time I was born, so Mom had ample time to come to terms with his behavior before I arrived. Because I never saw a reaction from her, I thought it was normal.

Now that I'm the one cooking, and invited guests sometimes have the most absurd reactions to a spider in their chili, it's beyond normal.

The fried grasshoppers I've had were small, and cooked crisp through and through. I think that's atypical, but probably intended not to freak out western patrons. The closest analog would be a spicy party/Chex mix, heavy on the pretzels and far less dense. I'm sure I have no idea what the underlying grasshoppers taste like. I can say that the black ants I see everywhere in my lawn are sour. Curiosity is a wonderful thing.

Though raw bugs are safer to eat than raw mammals, like mammals they are safest and most delicious when cooked and appropriately spiced.

Though I can't say I care to know there's a spider in there somewhere, it is a source of protein. For those who don't eat meat or enough of the right meats to provide their bodies with the required types of protein. 

3 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

Ahhhh see, I have a different take on it. 'Twas not her attractiveness being tested there but her modesty.  He'd have kissed her no matter her visage, simply to test her responses.  One must be sure one is taking a modest wife, after all.  Will she let some stranger enter her private quarters and have his way? Yes and no... she knew her place well enough not to struggle but also gave every indication of being disinterested and without encouragement.  Fine line walked and test passed.

Really I do believe that she was simply older than he had been promised and, alas, possibly even beyond child-bearing years though her brother and his court spent great costs trying to forge and disguise it.  That Henry retired her as is dear "sister" was perhaps indicative of age as well as less-fortunate looks.

Not sure about this. She was 25...only a year or so older than Catherine of Aragon was when Henry married her. Nowhere near as young then as it is now, of course, but still well within childbearing age, even for the time. Catherine Parr was around 30 when she became Henry's final queen, and that was right after he'd married a 16-year-old (and taken her head).

But it's true that he had a difficult time finding another wife by that point and couldn't really command the cream of the crop any more. For some reason, beautiful, eligible young princesses were a bit put off by the fact that he'd disinherited one wife to die penniless in exile and judicially murdered another. Even when you're the King of England, that's going to put a pretty hard crimp on your Tinder profile. One princess, when offered the queenship of England, replied that she might consider it if she had two heads. 

It's also true that Anne may have been a little too modest for her own good. There's a story of her telling a lady at court that the King treated her very well and always held her hand at night and kissed her in the morning, to which the lady replied, "Madam, there must be more than this, or it will be long ere we have a Duke of York." Still, Henry's got a role to play in that. Personally I think his poor physical state, to put it kindly, may have had something to do with it. He did not sire any children after Jane Seymour (though Catherine Parr became pregnant by her next husband at the grand age of 35), and for some reason was compelled to deny that there was any problem with his prowess...

I think he retired Anne of Cleves as his "sister" in order to accommodate the very generous settlement he gave her for not contesting the annulment. It just made sense; a non-sexual title that would still afford her a great deal of respect and make her untouchable. He was probably hugely relieved that, unlike the first two, she was prepared to go quietly. He also liked to cultivate an image of himself as generous and benevolent, when it was easy for him to do so. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Though I can't say I care to know there's a spider in there somewhere, it is a source of protein.

Look around your house. Now imagine the fields, harvesters, silos, trucks, factories, and stores that get food to your table.

Trust me, there's a spider in there somewhere... and sooooo much more.

• Like 1

You know something, if Henry VIII - obese, with a stinking sore on his leg and questionable bedroom prowess - were on SL today, he would totally be demanding that women prove themselves to him by voicing, fretting about morphers and complaining about catfishing and lying. While strolling around the grid on an avatar who looked like the handsome, 20-something jousting champion he hadn't been for quite some time.

He so would.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Eva Knoller said:

I read somewhere that people eat around 2 to 5 pounds of bugs a year, including maggots. I am fine with ants and flies and grasshoppers, but there something about eating maggots that makes me want to run away screaming. 

Maggots are fly babies! Babies are cute! You'd be eating babies! What's not to like here?

They're sometimes used to debride necrotic tissue in difficult wounds, such as those of diabetes sufferers. Tell me that's not interesting.

I understand the cultural ick factor and our natural revulsion to things (snakes, bugs, and other bitey things) which are often dangerous, but there's benefit to appropriate suppression of that feeling in service of learning.

All that said, people like you do give people like me something to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Look around your house. Now imagine the fields, harvesters, silos, trucks, factories, and stores that get food to your table.

Trust me, there's a spider in there somewhere... and sooooo much more.

Yes, although I don't "know" that (for certain) when I'm eating. That's why you are supposed to wash fresh veggies and fruits n stuffs before cooking or consuming. I don't think anyone really wants to eat bug poop. There always is some no matter how much of or what kind of pesticides are used.

There was a time, in my memory, when we didn't have to worry about wtf has been put in our food (or snuck in) because it was all locally produced. Unfortunately, humans have monkeyed with things so much that, unless something really drastic happens, there is no way to go back to doing things the right way instead of substituting cancer causing chemicals and chemical preservatives.

I wonder how many will stop eating veggies, fruits and meats after reading this. They're gonna get awful hungry. 

15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Maggots are fly babies! Babies are cute! You'd be eating babies! What's not to like here?

They're sometimes used to debride necrotic tissue in difficult wounds, such as those of diabetes sufferers. Tell me that's not interesting.

I understand the cultural ick factor and our natural revulsion to things (snakes, bugs, and other bitey things) which are often dangerous, but there's benefit to appropriate suppression of that feeling in service of learning.

All that said, people like you do give people like me something to do.

Well babies are cute, you’ve got that right, but I don’t necessarily like to eat cute things. 😂 

But the usage of maggots to debride tissue is quite interesting, even if it makes me squirmy thinking about it.

13 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Well babies are cute, you’ve got that right, but I don’t necessarily like to eat cute things. 😂 

But the usage of maggots to debride tissue is quite interesting, even if it makes me squirmy thinking about it.

I suppose we shouldn't tell you what leeches are used for in modern medicine. On the other hand, leeches don't exactly fall into the cute category. Maybe the "so ugly it's almost cute" category.

mascot-illustration-leech-wearing-stetho

16 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I think I'll be okay. As long as they don't start talking about eating bugs.

There is a character in a novel. The name of the novel is Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. The name of the character is Eatbugs. Eatbugs is a feral cat. As is the main character.

https://www.tadwilliams.com/books/novels/tailchasers-song/

There is also a movie by the same name that I have never seen so I don't know how closely it follows the book.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125634/

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm up for pretty much chocolate covered anything.

Years ago, through some strange kink in the space-time continuum, I landed a brief marketing gig for a famous old family run department store in Milwaukee. I got to know the elderly owner, who confided in me that he'd discovered the ultimate candy. He took my hand and dragged me over to the candy counter, where he scooped up a fistful of what looked like malted milk balls. He popped a few in his mouth and handed the remainder to me.

They were chocolate covered sour cherries and they were magnificent.

And I will never eat that many in one sitting again.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Years ago, through some strange kink in the space-time continuum, I landed a brief marketing gig for a famous old family run department store in Milwaukee. I got to know the elderly owner, who confided in me that he'd discovered the ultimate candy. He took my hand and dragged me over to the candy counter, where he scooped up a fistful of what looked like malted milk balls. He popped a few in his mouth and handed the remainder to me.

They were chocolate covered sour cherries and they were magnificent.

And I will never eat that many in one sitting again.

I would have loved those. Tell me he can ship to the UK.😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.