Voice-verified

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You must have never attended any of the seminars that teach women how to drop their voices by as much as a full octave in order to make their voices sound more authoritative. The change was permanent and I wish I had never learned it.

Margaret Thatcher had training to learn to do this.

Strangely, everyone now seems to hate vocal fry. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Margaret Thatcher had training to learn to do this.

Strangely, everyone now seems to hate vocal fry. 

What I was taught wasn't the same thing as vocal fry. I was taught to use the same pitch at a lower register but no lower than one octave below your normal speaking voice. Vocal fry is dropping it as low as it will go. And then some. Vocal fry is an extreme. What I was taught is not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What I was taught wasn't the same thing as vocal fry. I was taught to use the same pitch at a lower register but no lower than one octave below your normal speaking voice. Vocal fry is dropping it as low as it will go. And then some. Vocal fry is an extreme. What I was taught is not.

Oh yes, I know the sort of thing you mean. Just a couple of thoughts about voice training. 

• Like 1

I knew a guy once. Was actually a guy, mind you, but he would often be in clubs sounding like a woman. Turns out he was able to pitch his voice in such a way, and use a voice changer, that he was able to sound just like a woman. A sultry one at that. He did this(his own admittance) as he got more attention from dudes willing to throw money at his female avatar.

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about, posts that just trail off are the equivalent of vocal fry..

An ellipsis is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.

There are legitimate uses for ellipses. It's quite common in several languages besides English. French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Polish and Russian.

So while it might bother you, it is proper usage.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

38 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about, posts that just trail off are the equivalent of vocal fry..

An ellipsis is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.

There are legitimate uses for ellipses. It's quite common in several languages besides English. French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Polish and Russian.

So while it might bother you, it is proper usage.

This. Though it doesn't mean "intentional", it only means "missing words". I use them when I truncate a quote, such as: Love said "[...] equivalent of a vocal fry.. [sic]" ("sic" means: as presented and [ and ] are editor brackets, meaning I put it there)

@Love Zhaoying - two dots are a typo. LOL

ALSO: When you see a four-dot ellipses it's not a four-dot ellipses. It's a three-dot ellipses and period. :D

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It doesn’t bother me. I was just trying to give another possible “equivalency” between interpretation of the written word, and vocal “styles”, like?

castironskillet.gif.c226b01da7a5dcfc6da6155601011399.gif

Don't do that. I dun wanna toss you in the iggie bin. It's dark in there and there's all kinds of nasty things that might eat you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Like, I’m an Apex predator...?

Dude... there are things not of this world in there far more dangerous than any mere earthly predator. These things are the ultimate in predators. Alien vs Predator is nothing compared to what these things will do. They make Lucifer, himself, tuck his tail and run. I'm tellin ya... don't go in there! At least, don't go alone...

h96EA6AD2

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Dude... there are things not of this world in there far more dangerous than any mere earthly predator. These things are the ultimate in predators. Alien vs Predator is nothing compared to what these things will do. They make Lucifer, himself, tuck his tail and run. I'm tellin ya... don't go in there! At least, don't go alone...

h96EA6AD2

I think you’re talking about Maddy!

Thank you for showing me the darker recesses of your, um, mind!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

This reminds me of the “I am the one who knocks” speech from “Breaking Bad”. Good job!

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This reminds me of the “I am the one who knocks” speech from “Breaking Bad”. Good job!

Never really watched that. Not my cuppa. So I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality. There is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

h96EA6AD2

This is so reminiscent of the "Monster Door" in my childhood bedroom. It was a little cardboard door and frame fastened to the base of my bedroom wall. Behind the door was a tiny black space where I was instructed to put "offerings" to keep the monsters from eating me in my sleep. I'd give them bits of candy (they liked the same things as Dad) or interesting things I'd found. They'd return balls of lint or oddities made from the things I'd found. I think I was the only child in my neighborhood who had neither fear of the dark, nor fear of monsters under the bed.

Dad would describe the danger behind the door much as you just did above. He'd murmur in a deep, dark voice, of the unspeakable horror that would befall anyone who did not leave them treats. The only thing they were afraid of was mom's cooking.

And, wonder of wonders, though we did not have an "iggie" bin, that is exactly the word we (and presumably the monsters) used to describe... mom's cooking.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

And, wonder of wonders, though we did not have an "iggie" bin, that is exactly the word we (and presumably the monsters) used to describe... mom's cooking.

Um... the iggie bin is an old YaHell NAC term referring to a person's ignore list.

The one place you didn't want to go was the iggie bin because of all the others you'd be stuck in there with. There were some really nasty types in mine. Mostly the highly prejudiced white men who were forever trolling the NAC rooms.

So you're saying you guys ignored your mother's cooking or you tossed it every chance you got. Or both. We just hid what we didn't want on the little shelf under the expandable formal dining table. Well, my brothers did until I saw them do it one day and hid my second egg. oops

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

NPR? 

We live on the same planet just in different worlds.

National Public Radio was born just months before me, and is nearly the only radio network I've listened to since birth. I would take brief forays out into shortwave to listen to HCJB in Quito Equador, or further up the FM dial to catch Ron Cuzner's Jazz program, but I always returned to NPR via WUWM or WHAD.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.