Forum Meetup

Randall Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The time is sketchy for  me, and  like  Belinda  said that place is laggy. I know a lot  of people   have  an obsession with it,but a  lot  of   other people don't  really get it.

What if nobody shows up at the Hangout? If you're at Fogbound, it will be busy anyway and there will be other people to socialize with if no forum members show. You don't want to get dressed up for nothing do you?

Edited by Randall Ahren
added be

18 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Saturday is my busiest RL day, so getting in world at 09.00SLT is a problem.

Fogbound is also superlaggy. What's wrong with the Hangout? Just asking....

Er, he did say 9 PM SLT;  written in that 24 hour format that EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD BUT US USES that would be 21:00 SLT.

8 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Due to 100% negative replies, the forum meetup is cancelled.

I'd say my comment was roughly 20% negative, 10% constructive and 70% satirical. Let's have a look:

On 7/25/2019 at 2:21 AM, Randall Ahren said:

Okay, forumites, there is a a forum meetup

Whilst I don't have any illusion that the forum is a functional democratic platform, this statement feels like a rather firm directive rather than an invitation. Who decided there was a meetup? Who decided the time? Who decided the venue? I was never asked if I were interested, nor was any consideration for my time zone (which is a fairly populous one both in SL in general but certainly on the forums - we've got plenty of Europeans around here).

at Fogbound Blues

This is a club with a rather high traffic. Lag, and putting ourselves at the mercy of the hospitality of the club's staff (does the venue allow furries, for example?) as well as competing for space with the regular patrons - a forumite event may well pull a lot of people, we may well cap the region's capacity before everyone who wants to attend can get in if we invade a club that already has a bunch of people in it.

on Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 9 PM SLT.

9 PM SLT is 11 PM for people on the East Coast; that's late for a lot of people who are close to the time zone to begin with. As previously mentioned, for us Europeans, 9 PM SLT is 5 AM GMT, 6 AM CET and 7 AM for Eastern Europe. Whilst it's true that there never is a one time that works for everyone - heck, there are Aussies who are SLT+18, so for them it'd be 3 PM - but usually the forumite events are placed to at least accommodate both Europeans and Americans.

Blues

"Music is the universal language of mankind". This may have had truth in it, in the mid 1800's - but today, music segregates us even within our own families. My family hated it when I played Metal, NDH, Darkwave and Punk, but to me it was passionate. I, and my parents, were less than happy to listen to my sister's Pop music when she played that. Whenever my father played some whiny old 'Murrican Blues, my sister and I went to our rooms and put on headphones to drown it out with our own music (or just turned up the volume until even he couldn't hear his Bob Dylan for the wall-shaking riffs of Rammstein - and we lived in a flipping stone house).

Again, there's probably no one form of music that everyone could agree upon in such a diverse forum as this. But come on. At least pick something where it doesn't feel as if both the singer and the listeners would rather just drop dead on the spot in a fit of pessimistic self-pitying and despair, without at any one point sounding even remotely musical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

"Music is the universal language of mankind". This may have had truth in it, in the mid 1800's - but today, music segregates us even within our own families. My family hated it when I played Metal, NDH, Darkwave and Punk, but to me it was passionate. I, and my parents, were less than happy to listen to my sister's Pop music when she played that. Whenever my father played some whiny old 'Murrican Blues, my sister and I went to our rooms and put on headphones to drown it out with our own music (or just turned up the volume until even he couldn't hear his Bob Dylan for the wall-shaking riffs of Rammstein - and we lived in a flipping stone house).

Ok, this is just outright calumny.

Dylan may have been influenced by the form, but by no definition does his music count as Blues.

I'm probably too much the purist in regard to what "counts" as Blues, but in general, what we sometimes call blues music today just isn't -- it's blues-tinged rock, or Rn'B, or bluesy folk, or whatever.

As for the characterization of it as "whiny old 'Murrican Blues" -- not sure what you're listening to, but it sure isn't the classic country or Chicago electric blues. Tunes like Howling Wolf's Smokestack Lightening or Backdoor Man growl with dark, intense sensuality, and if it's dark imagery you like (and god knows the African Americans of the 20s through to the 60s had no shortage of examples in their real lives to draw upon), you need to hear songs like Robert Johnson's Hell Hound on my Trail or 32-20 Blues. (And yes, it's also frequently deeply misogynist, but then it's a pretty genuine account of a culture badly distorted by racism and poverty.)

Here's an all-time favourite of mine: Son House's Death Letter Blues. It's violent, dark, gloomy . . . and powerful in its beauty.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have an idea!!!  Why don't we meet on Sundays for breakfast?  Maybe between 8-10am SLT?  Every week we could meet up somewhere else.  Oh... wait...that already happens. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Orwar said:

Again, there's probably no one form of music that everyone could agree upon in such a diverse forum as this. But come on. At least pick something where it doesn't feel as if both the singer and the listeners would rather just drop dead on the spot in a fit of pessimistic self-pitying and despair, without at any one point sounding even remotely musical.

Now I know what bothers me about you. You don't like BB or Lucille. :o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Catrie said:

I have an idea!!!  Why don't we meet on Sundays for breakfast?  Maybe between 8-10am SLT?  Every week we could meet up somewhere else.  Oh... wait...that already happens. 😛

Yep and it happens without me because who the frak gets up that damn early on a Sunday.

Oh yeah...

Christians.

That's not my fault.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yep and it happens without me because who the frak gets up that damn early on a Sunday.

Oh yeah...

Christians.

That's not my fault.

It's later in the morning, for me, and most of the time I can't be bothered to leave our skybox. lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

</rant>

Musical example.

Scrounges nose.

I don't care what it represents or where it comes from, as much as I don't care about how sad people were when what's-his-face blew his brains out (that grungy emo-guy I can't be bothered to Google for a name) - the 'music' doesn't stroke my fancy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't care about how sad people were when what's-his-face blew his brains out (that grungy emo-guy I can't be bothered to Google for a name)

Kurt Cobain?  Grunge rock?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.