how did you learn there were discussion forums?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About 12 years ago, I was fairly new in here. I found the forums looking for information on one of the downtime Wednesdays, as they became known.

Spent my time here waiting for maintenance to end EVERY WEEK.

Those were the days.

Edited by Adam Spark
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 5:35 PM, kali Wylder said:

Nobody I know in world these days seems to know about the forums any more. 

My first av made many of her best friends in SL from first knowing them from the forums. That was back when you used to see the top 3 threads latest entries on the first page of the dashboard.  Without that I wouldn't have known the forums existed. I've often wondered why they stopped doing that. 

There always was one :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Magic boots of flying, magic sword, magic helm, magic shield, Pegasus.... Yeah,  my piddly iron spear and chestplate is such a match for that stuff.. :P

Sure, magic boots, sword, helm, shield. No Pegasus though: you're thinking of Bellerophon.

BUT NO CLOTHES. Except a well-placed sword.

Think how much more secure you'll feel wearing clothes. Poor Perseus . . .

• Like 1

It's an exclusive/inclusive clubroom here with a nice ambience, mostly.

Reminds me of my sixth form common room. After two years in the sixth form you got access rights to an inner sanctum. Such privilege!!!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No Pegasus though: you're thinking of Bellerophon.

That depends on how far back you go.. 

The replacement of Bellerophon as the tamer and rider of Pegasus by the more familiar culture hero Perseus was not simply an error of painters and poets of the Renaissance. The transition was a development of Classical times which became the standard image during teh Middle Ages and has been adopted by the European poets of the Renaissance and later: Giovanni Boccaccio's Genealogia deorum gentilium libri  identifies Pegasus as the steed of Perseus, and Pierre Corneille places Perseus upon Pegasus in Andromède. Modern representations of this image include sculptor Émile Louis Picault's 1888 sculpture Pegasus and the movie Clash of The Titans and its remake.

Personally, i like the idea of a naked Perseus on Pegasiback. Kind of like a male Lady Godiva. Only more, swingy. 

• Like 3

It was 2009, and I was in a mood. I didn't have enough energy to log into SL itself, but I was bored and so clicked things on the dashboard. I read the General Forum, and found a bit of fun, witty conversation. I read for a while and then joined in. There were flame wars, sure, but I thought I could avoid them. :::brief pause for oldbie laughter:::  By the way, did y'all know the FEED is still around? It is buggy as all get out, but there are still some folks posting. I did post on the Feed for quite a while, still do, but the bugs just get too annoying. Anyway . . . I loved the banter of the old forums but not the bullying and trolling. Then hammer-handed moderation started (like, I'm not even sure if I can write that phrase using the m-word, I couldn't have then) as an over-reaction, one that actually caused more problems and suspicions and bullying and trolling. I just left Forum posting. I wander in here, rarely, hoping to find some of the good stuff of old, but I don't see what used to be the community, but that could just be me not being active in the conversations or me being in a different "place" than I was ten years ago. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That depends on how far back you go.. 

The replacement of Bellerophon as the tamer and rider of Pegasus by the more familiar culture hero Perseus was not simply an error of painters and poets of the Renaissance. The transition was a development of Classical times which became the standard image during teh Middle Ages and has been adopted by the European poets of the Renaissance and later: Giovanni Boccaccio's Genealogia deorum gentilium libri  identifies Pegasus as the steed of Perseus, and Pierre Corneille places Perseus upon Pegasus in Andromède. Modern representations of this image include sculptor Émile Louis Picault's 1888 sculpture Pegasus and the movie Clash of The Titans and its remake.

Personally, i like the idea of a naked Perseus on Pegasiback. Kind of like a male Lady Godiva. Only more, swingy. 

This is unexpectedly pedantic, Drake! I like it!!

But, really, you're still passing too lightly over the main point.

NO CLOTHES.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

facepalm.gif.0e8e2caa99fc03a8e782c6935fd2212a.gif

Don't have an account. Don't want one.

I don't blame you.  I had one years ago but I don't want to talk to the whole world(or pretend I am so important that the whole world should listen to what I have to say).

19 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I don't blame you.  I had one years ago but I don't want to talk to the whole world(or pretend I am so important that the whole world should listen to what I have to say).

Those kinds of social medias: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MySpace, all of them, are cesspools imo. Cesspools tend to leak into the surrounding environment and contaminate everything.

• Like 3

I knew the discussion forums were here, but wasn't particularly interested in having a look. I mean, SL is already very social, we have groups to chat in or ask questions. It wasn't til EEP got thrown on regions, which destroyed my windlight, that I came to complain about it. After whining and venting on the feedback, I started looking at the other categories. I had no idea it was such a big subculture! I was really entertained reading threads, and got sucked in. That's why my join date is so recent. I didn't know forums were a thing here. Now I feel like I'm getting to know everyone... from a safe distance :P

I think part of the addiction is more getting a feeling I'm not missing out on something important- there's lots of good info in here. It's how I learned about Bellisseria too.

• Like 3

Been in whatever inception of forums we have had since 2004, even when I didn't login SL, was on break, etc.

My favorite would've been the slex forums and that isn't a euphemism. All the long winded discussions, the vitriol, the cheese talk...really, it was an interesting place.

I have always read more than I post and what I post is rarely ever welcome, but they haven't succeeded at driving me put completely just yet. I do miss the for a of yesteryear, despite all of its flaws. But I think a huge part of that for me is knowing there is a finite amount of time for me to enjoy that which I can see...pretty minimal now (you'll note way more typos that I don't care to correct anymore)..and it sucks on so many levels not the least of which is knowing I squandered my best reading and responding years on far less valuable gems than the SL fora.  How's that for a lovely run on sentence?

I've never much fit in, despite feeling quite included, but I don't mind not fitting in, I take it as a challenge (one most probably wish I'd stop accepting). Life is what it is, I make lemonade from it....just, sometimes o make the Costco size when all I really needed was a cup :p

Long way of saying been here ages, found it as soon as I started, and never left.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Thinking that a safe distance exists was your first mistake ;-).

All Morena would need to do is stand next to me for a bit and she won't have to worry about. Everyone will keep their distance from her because they are staying away from me.

Although I should mention standing anywhere near me isn't safe.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.